Caulking Replacement Windows - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

Caulking Replacement Windows

Old 10-21-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Better Carpentry Co. LLC

Trade: Windows, Siding, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling
Rewards Points: 10

Caulking Replacement Windows

I have a customer that had somebody do a terrible job on installing their replacement windows, the company who installed their windows didn't do a bunch of things right but, the one big thing that the homeowner notice was they did not caulk around the stops on the outside of the windows and the homeowner asked me how much It would cost them to caulk each window. Their are 43 windows in the house and the highest window is around 30'. I figured charge them around $20/per window x 43 windows = $860.00. I would be using OSI caulk. What do you guys think about the price to high or to low? I know some guys out their charge buy the LF to caulk but I don't have to time to measure each window. Any suggestions on pricing this job would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Dan

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: windows-siding
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Caulking Replacement Windows

20 bucks? reasonable if you ask me. what i do is tell the customer 20 bucks per window,more palatable than 860. after they agree,i then tell them the total. anyway,20 bucks is fine. 30 feet high! i'd be charging 25 - 30. a dollar a foot,i hate heights...

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
President

Trade: Installing windows, siding, roofing, doors, patio rooms, gutters and shutters.
Rewards Points: 250

We charge a flat rate to work on a window that someone else installed. $65.00 ea. X 43 $2,795.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Stevens View Post
We charge a flat rate to work on a window that someone else installed. $65.00 ea. X 43 $2,795.00.
I think you got it right Jake,
For sure that is what it would run.......$2,795.00.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Stevens View Post
fo sho
Old 10-22-2008, 12:26 AM   #6
Siding Windows Doors

Trade: Exteriors

I think you may be pretty close to a resonable price at $20.00 per window if you could do 3 or 4 per hour. Maybe shoot them a price to wrap the openings so they will never paint again and include the caulking with the wraps.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
DavidC

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
20 bucks? reasonable if you ask me. what i do is tell the customer 20 bucks per window,more palatable than 860. after they agree,i then tell them the total. anyway,20 bucks is fine. 30 feet high! i'd be charging 25 - 30. a dollar a foot,i hate heights...
Being afrraid of heights also I would take a similar approach. Then I would find myself at the top of the ladder menatally whipping myself for climbing for a measley 5-10 bucks extra.

But otherwise, how is we look at various jobs and try to figure out what is this job worth? Do we take on a job that doesn't produce enough cash flow because that's all it's worth? (or that's all they'll pay or that's the going rate around here?) Do we hope to make up later when we pick a cherry that pays more than our normal rate?

Mike Stone wrote a very interesting book on how to calculate the best pricing for your business. "Markup & Profit, A Contractors Guide". If you don't like Mike there are other authors that accomplish the same thing. Asking how much to charge and then quoting your jobs based on the answers you get is one of the most dangerous things a contractor can do.

Good Luck
Dave
Old 11-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Using QUAD caulk for both interior and exterior applications has been best for us.

MarkC

Last edited by MarkC; 11-08-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,748

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
Using QUAD caulk for both interior and exterior applications has been best for us.

MarkC

http://www.osiproseries.com/upload/8...SDS%202_08.pdf
Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Pheonolseal $6.00 a tube plus markup .
Old 11-08-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: New Construction and Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 502

Lexel, white