2012 IECC - Aluminum Vs. Vinyl Windows - Windows, Siding and Doors - Contractor Talk

2012 IECC - Aluminum Vs. Vinyl Windows

Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #1

Trade: Glazier
Rewards Points: 10

2012 IECC - Aluminum Vs. Vinyl Windows

Does anyone know if aluminum framed windows will meet the 2012 IECC? I can't seem to lock down a definite answer. We work in what the IECC defines as Zone 3.

I know they came out with thermal aluminum framing, but I've read in a few places that even that won't meet the IECC.

Any tips or links to an IECC guide would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Glazier_David; 08-13-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 110

Re: 2012 IECC - Aluminum Vs. Vinyl Windows

Yes they will - you just need to check the SHGC / NFRL label on each one to see if it qualifies or falls under an exception (sorry I don't have 2012 specs in front of me)

You may wish to start here http://texaswindowsinitiative.com/code/code_req.asp (that looks like the right specs) & then possibly contact your favorite manufacturer

Advertisement

Glazier_David (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #3

Trade: Glazier

Ah ok, that makes a little more sense. Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Windows and Doors

Trade: Windows and Doors

SHGC ratings for all horizontal slider windows from the on-line NFRC database were reviewed in July 2005. There were 50,367 products, of which 35,114 were rated for SHGC. The most common product used to meet the 0.40 SHGC requirement are low-E windows. Low-E technologies have experienced dramatic growth in the last decade and are now included in over 60% percent of the residential market (Door & Window Maker Magazine, April 2005). There are 13,672 horizontal slider double-glazed low-E windows that are rated for SHGC and 93% of these are 0.37 SHGC or below. Lower SHGC levels can be easily met by windows with any type of frames. For example, 91%, 94%, and 97% of rated low-E horizontal slider windows with aluminum, vinyl, and wood frames now easily meet (or are lower than) this proposed 0.37 SHGC requirement.
More info here: http://www.iccsafe.org/Pages/SearchR...inum%20windows