This Is Why I Check EVERY Terminal In EVERY Panel I Open. - Electrical Picture Post - Contractor Talk

This Is Why I Check EVERY Terminal In EVERY Panel I Open.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #1
I own stock in FotoMat!

Trade: 132 on Bush, I've got him at gunpoint!
Rewards Points: 12,976

This Is Why I Check EVERY Terminal In EVERY Panel I Open.

Got a call yesterday from the owner of a townhouse, having issues with a breaker tripping. I assumed it was an AFCI and I can't stand those types of calls. But I stopped by early this afternoon to check it out.

I remove the panel cover and check the connections on breaker no. 13, which is off and is marked "LR and MBR outlets". Nothing unusual there. But just out of habit, I check every terminal in the panel.

I just about filled my drawers when I worked my way up the breakers to the 40a 2p for the range.

There's a 2011 inspection sticker on the panel. I've got a dollar that says this breaker's terminals were never tightened down 9 years ago. Amazing that the range even worked, let alone didn't melt the breaker at some point.

I usually find one or two terminations in every panel I open that could benefit from a bit more torque. But this one just floored me.

Last edited by 480sparky; 07-28-2020 at 04:19 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 480sparky For This Useful Post:
bwiab (07-28-2020), Joasis (07-29-2020), jproffer (07-29-2020), overanalyze (07-28-2020), rselectric1 (07-29-2020), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (07-28-2020), tgeb (07-29-2020), TheConstruct (07-28-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,034

Re: This Is Why I Check EVERY Terminal In EVERY Panel I Open.

Well,it looks like the wiring was dressed neatly...

Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #3
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Highwayman
Rewards Points: 1,972

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Got a call yesterday from the owner of a townhouse, having issues with a breaker tripping. I assumed it was an AFCI and I can't stand those types of calls. But I stopped by early this afternoon to check it out.

I remove the panel cover and check the connections on breaker no. 13, which is off and is marked "LR and MBR outlets". Nothing unusual there. But just out of habit, I check every terminal in the panel.

I just about filled my drawers when I worked my way up the breakers to the 40a 2p for the range.

https://youtu.be/CWMPOPdRHxg

There's a 2011 inspection sticker on the panel. I've got a dollar that says this breaker's terminals were never tightened down 9 years ago. Amazing that the range even worked, let alone didn't melt the breaker at some point.

I usually find one or two terminations in every panel I open that could benefit from a bit more torque. But this one just floored me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Trade: Trim Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 256

fire hazard for sure.

Electrical panels are a sore subject for me.
So many HO's and remodeling hacks messing with things they shouldn't be.

I'm on my way this friday to add a 220 breaker to a house that had a 30amp singe pole breaker supplying one leg of a 220 dryer outlet.

Someone ran 12/3 but cut the red short, outlet was wired with the black and white, but in the panel the white went to the neutral bar.

Why would they do that?