Younger Man Seeking Career Advice From Seasoned Veterans. - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Younger Man Seeking Career Advice From Seasoned Veterans.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:48 AM   #1

Trade: Carpentry

Younger Man Seeking Career Advice From Seasoned Veterans.

Need advice on how to find a solid employer that sees my potential. I’m 32 I’ve only been in carpentry for 3.5 years. I spent 6 year in the Army, and had a rough time transitioning to civilian life after multiple deployments to Iraq. I wish I would’ve gotten a real job sooner instead of wasting time in college. Long story short I took a job as a helper to make ends meet. I fell in love. Fits me perfect, gave me my purpose again. I pick up quick and have a strong work ethic along with other qualities obtained in the Army that seem to fit well in the trades. I’m married and have kids and can’t seem to find a secure job where I can advance. I always hear what I want hear after I show up and show how I work. Starts off great. They seem happy with my willingness to work and the thirst I have to learn. Then after a year or so it seems to fizzle out. Promises made are soon found to be nothing but hot air. I feel like most sub contractors that I find that are hiring have no need for a man like me or end up taking advantage of my ambition to learn, as I’m sure most of you know it takes years to get to a point where you can branch out. I have no desire for this anytime soon. Only construction jobs I seem to find are on Craigslist. How does one find a contractor or bigger company looking for employees they want to invest in? That being said I have a criminal record from when I first left the military. Haven’t been in trouble in years since I settled back in and grew up some more. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’m not giving up I enjoy working hard not to mention I’ve alre started investing, truck tools etc. I still have some GI bill left any school options? I know there’s no 4 year degree saying you a qualified craftsman. Thank You

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 06:53 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,768

Re: Younger Man Seeking Career Advice From Seasoned Veterans.

Mike, first and foremost, thank you for your service.

You didn't mention where you are located, that may be helpful. I not sure I have solid advice for you except I would find out who the big, reputable, busiest, best, contractors are in your area. Do some homework as to who you would want to work for, then try knocking on their doors.

Is there a trade union in your area? they may be a path to training and employment.

I would say forget Craigslist and the sub in a beat up van looking for his next job, they will not get you anywhere.

The quality guys out there are looking for solid employees. Best of luck.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Defenestrate (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
Bubble stick operator

Rewards Points: 110

^^^ this! And thank you for your service.

When I was looking, I'd see good looking yard signs (not plastic -- actual built signs), research the company, and if I liked the look of them, walk up to the job and talk to them to see if they might be hiring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,932

Thank you for your service, Mike.

My brother in law retired after 23 years in and picked up a job as a laborer with some large construction company in the midwest that does a lot of work on military bases. That might be something worth looking into. I can find out the name if you'd like

-Rich
Old 03-29-2019, 01:36 PM   #5
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,036

Come on up to Michigan, brother! I've been trying to hire two new guys for weeks. Got more work to do here then can ever be done, man.
The Following User Says Thank You to onmywayup For This Useful Post:
Lady Dreamer (03-30-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 208

You may want to move past looking for companies who are hiring and look for companies you would want to work for and apply. A lot of jobs get filled this way and no advertising is done. People like the initiative and coming from someone who served it will be taken even more serious. If you do this to 15 or 20 good companies I would not be surprised if you have a few to choose between. Things are moving, its hard to find help and its spring.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #7

Thank you to all who have replied. I haven’t given that much thought, walking in and talking to companies. My having a record brings strong fear of rejection, I’ve been shot down by some reputable outfits. Been a few years back, and I have tried that recently. I’m in CLT NC. Work is booming! Worst I can hear is no. I’ll say this I’m not giving up. We are doing a real disservice to our nations young men. That’s all I heard coming up and even exiting the military. College college college. That’s for the birds. Nothing like rolling up after finishing a job looking at the completed project, no substitute IMO. Thanks again
Old 03-30-2019, 08:06 AM   #8
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikej2029 View Post
Thank you to all who have replied. I haven’t given that much thought, walking in and talking to companies. My having a record brings strong fear of rejection, I’ve been shot down by some reputable outfits. Been a few years back, and I have tried that recently. I’m in CLT NC. Work is booming! Worst I can hear is no. I’ll say this I’m not giving up. We are doing a real disservice to our nations young men. That’s all I heard coming up and even exiting the military. College college college. That’s for the birds. Nothing like rolling up after finishing a job looking at the completed project, no substitute IMO. Thanks again
To be honest, a lot does depend on what your criminal record was. I have one for smoking pot in 2000 and got in a couple bar fights but no one gives a damn about that.

Stealing, domestic abuse, sexual crimes are about the only ones that would really keep me from hiring someone. And honestly, if that was a ways back and you've shown you've outgrown it and paid your debt, I doubt most people care about that as much as you think. The industry is desperate for people who are willing and able to learn.

I have a buddy not far from you who said trim Carpenters and Timber frame Carpenters could absolutely kill it right now near the lakes and mountains. If I was you, I'd look to get specialized, wished I would have done it sooner. Go to find a timber frame house that is exquisite, ask who built, and ask for a job. Rinse and repeat.

You service goes a long way in making people forgive the criminal record. Don't discount that.
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more

Last edited by Deckhead; 03-30-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #9
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

Maybe I'm Late, but where are you from, what was your conviction?

Advertisement