Would It Work? Post Frame Question - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Would It Work? Post Frame Question

Old 02-26-2015, 10:52 AM   #1

Trade: Landscaping/Maintenance
Rewards Points: 111

Would It Work? Post Frame Question

I have this crazy idea of building a 30x63 post frame shop and having the back 30' as a living quarters. I think for me, it would work perfect. Just have 3 rooms, bathroom, bedroom, then the living/kitchen space. Any opinions on this? Good or bad idea?.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #2
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Re: Would It Work? Post Frame Question

Of course, and as I'm sure you already know, what works well for you may not work as well for the next feller.

With that said, I suppose a lot of the workability depends on what you will be using the shop for. If, for example, you are creating excessive amounts of dust, you certainly would want to keep that in mind and take measures to keep it at bay, or out of the living space. I'm sure other issues could potentially crop up like visitors, or noise, among other things.

All in all, sounds like a great idea to me if you can pull it off.

Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

My plan for now would be to put in a wall to separate the spaces from fumes/noise as well as a fire stop and to help with heating. The shop would mostly just be for working on and storing equipment. The biggest thing I am worried about is insulating and stopping air drafts. Can you really make a building like this "air tight"?
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #4
3 Jacks 2 Nines

Trade: Wannabe Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 316

This would be considered a mixed use building. You would probably have to hire an architect or structural engineer to stamp it. In West Central Wisconsin, you may have some more "lee way"... but I wouldn't take a chance in this day and age. Depending on where you are building, the zoning may be a problem. For example, most residential areas don't allow industrial uses (so again, what you are using the shop for will come into consideration) and vice versa, most industrial areas don't allow residential uses. So you'll have to find the land in an area that is zoned correctly or go through the variance process. Electrical requirements for the shop would also be a consideration.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1500 View Post
My plan for now would be to put in a wall to separate the spaces from fumes/noise as well as a fire stop and to help with heating. The shop would mostly just be for working on and storing equipment. The biggest thing I am worried about is insulating and stopping air drafts. Can you really make a building like this "air tight"?
Absolutely! By the same means you could build a house that is air tight; however, if the space is actually "air tight," you will have to introduce a means of getting the air to exchange in the living space.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Have done a few of these.The last one was an existing pole barn we took part of the roof off and made that section a 2 story living quarters.
It can be done and very nicely done but the price on the living quarters will not save a lot of money.you still have to frame in for drywall and insulation so it's still pretty much framed like a stick build.We used engineered joist for the second floor which are not cheap.Even on one floor you have to take a lot of consideration for venting in the roof.
I've never really ran the numbers except to bid the jobs but think it's a cool idea and if I had some land would probably do it myself but I don't see where there is much money saved.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I'm hoping I can do this. Just a single level space to basically eat, sleep, and use the bathroom is all I'm going for. It looks like the materials for the shell of it and insulation would be about $12,000. I'm still getting prices for the other stuff. I'm hoping to do radiant floor heat also.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 2,134

Knew an old guy named Kieth. Lived in Lone Rock, just off the river in a converted barn. It was his workshop -studio-warehouse...

His living quarters were the up stairs. Bedroom-Bathroom-Kitchen in that order. Said that's all he needed and worked like this: Get up in the morning, bathroom, food... go downstairs when he was good and ready... the reverse for night time. Think his whiskey tripped that system up now adn then. He was single, liked it that way, so be it.

I think the whole concept is brilliant and would do it in a heart beat. But just can't ever seem to convince the women in my life of it's merits!

Go for it!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
Bill1500 (02-26-2015), Rio (02-27-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

Quote:
Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I'm hoping I can do this. Just a single level space to basically eat, sleep, and use the bathroom is all I'm going for. It looks like the materials for the shell of it and insulation would be about $12,000. I'm still getting prices for the other stuff. I'm hoping to do radiant floor heat also.
I would recheck my numbers. I don't know how you would get a 30 X 63 up insulated for $12,000 in this part of the country and things are not real high here.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 890

The only down side i can see is the smell, Most landscape mowers, leaf blowers etc, At this time do need to comply to emission standards, Cars and trucks can not release hydrcarbons at rest, (no stinky gas fumes) All that stuff is collected in to a charcoal cannister, The cannister is purged when you start the motor, A real well vent shop ?.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

you will have to save big money charlie will like you john is now out of it
The Following User Says Thank You to pappagor For This Useful Post:
Bill1500 (02-26-2015)
Old 02-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I would recheck my numbers. I don't know how you would get a 30 X 63 up insulated for $12,000 in this part of the country and things are not real high here.
I used the design computer at Menards. The price doesn't include drywall or concrete or anything like that. Only doors, windows, insulation, framing and the metal roof and sides.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkist View Post
The only down side i can see is the smell, Most landscape mowers, leaf blowers etc, At this time do need to comply to emission standards, Cars and trucks can not release hydrcarbons at rest, (no stinky gas fumes) All that stuff is collected in to a charcoal cannister, The cannister is purged when you start the motor, A real well vent shop ?.
I was wondering about that. But would it really be any different than an attached garage on a regular house where the homeowner has mowers etc?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappagor View Post
you will have to save big money charlie will like you john is now out of it
Johnny boy is out? Really?
Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Johnny boy is out? Really?
I wouldn't doubt it. Probably bought an island somewhere and said screw winter.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it. Probably bought an island somewhere and said screw winter.
Opinion is, he'll never quit. That's why I asked. Pretty sure They'll find him dead in his office. Face down in the smallest store's hardware department's inventory, costs & P/L reports. Trying to squeeze another 1/4 penny out of the 3/8" double pack of washers. Because he know's the Home Depot can't
Old 02-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #17
Pro

yes he spend most of his time overseas.the big one floting around is that he is trying to buy nascar out right. his dad and my dad were buddies
Old 02-27-2015, 06:41 AM   #18
Pro

he has done very well for guy that came out of a orphanage at like 8 or 9 years old. last time i looked he had a net of 15 billion
Old 02-27-2015, 06:45 AM   #19
Pro

Quote:
I was wondering about that. But would it really be any different than an attached garage on a regular house where the homeowner has mowers etc?
use close cell foam to seal it up
Old 02-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappagor View Post
yes he spend most of his time overseas.the big one floting around is that he is trying to buy nascar out right. his dad and my dad were buddies
Buying out nascar - that I believe. Letting go of the business for that...he's gone like the wind

Advertisement