Where Have All The Apprentices Gone - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Where Have All The Apprentices Gone

Old 02-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/gc
Rewards Points: 250

Where Have All The Apprentices Gone

I grew up around construction my great and grandfather laid wood floors around the northeast my uncle ended up building log cabins in north Carolina I ended up starting with my dad doing Metal framing and drywall ( pre illegals taking over the trade) and traveled around north and south Florida and the virgin islands doing resorts in captiva island fla my life changed when I meet a old 3 rd generation carpenter and his crew ( who were more like traveling gypsies but damn good carpenters) on a beach were I was to drop off materials for a rum hut they were building that's when my life changed he knew drywall was going into a mexican trade and asked me "do u want to be a dumb ass your life or do you want to learn something" I was pissed at first but have been watching him and his guys running cedar on the beach and wanted to be a part of the craft and brother hood they had and was so proud of so I took him on and no matter how hard he pushed I pushed back when he seen I had the same passion for the trade he and 3 generations of his family he had he didn't hold anything back as much as he knew he was willing to share and that changed my life I gave up the drugs that was involved in the old timers of the drywall trade and invested all my money into tools he took me around the country north to south east to west all the way to San Fran were we built a gas station and were my journey ended with him I stayed as the gypsies continued to travel but what I gained was a life time of friendship and knowledge I am here in Cali now with a contractor license and no one to pass on my craft to were have all the apprentices gone there's no one to pass on the craft to who cares about more than the money no one who wants the journey or feels passionate about the trade is everyone else in this position or is it because iam in the land of illegals I just want to pass on what I have been working so hard to learn

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
Carpe Diem

Trade: Smile 4 Tile
Rewards Points: 1,114

Re: Where Have All The Apprentices Gone

Don't take this too personally but punctuation helps.

A period here. A new paragraph there.

Makes for a much better read.

Advertisement

aptpupil (02-22-2011), bronzgonz (02-05-2013), CO762 (02-25-2011), Crete (01-23-2013), ferd144 (02-05-2013), KellyD&B (03-02-2013)
Old 02-21-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Pro

Yeah sorry about that writing from phone just being lazy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Nail-Bender

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,020

Im an apprentice.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

They're at the video arcade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
ROVACON (02-21-2011), smalpierre (02-25-2013)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Holy Crap!

Trade: General Contracting-Renovations-Carpentry
Rewards Points: 296

Katoman said it perfectly. Kids these days care about X Box and Play Station (not that there is anything wrong with those systems.)

It is getting scary now because even trade schools are not producing a lot of skilled kids. A lot of them just attend for other reasons such as sports.

I had a buddy who graduated from a trade school with a diploma in carpentry and he couldn't lay out a wall to save his life.

My work load is getting heavier, especially in the next 8 weeks or so I am considering hiring a kid to co-op out of school part time. You better believe that I will put him to the test in the interview.

That's all I have to say about that.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Pro

I've said this before - the average age of a skilled tradesman is 61. We are retireing.

Any young guys who want to make lots of money better get trained. Because there is going to be an even greater demand for skilled trades than there is now.

I'm actually telling some of my clients that if they are planning any major work done, they've got 10 years, then I'm out.

No joke. They know they can't get anyone else. That's truly sad.

Opportunity awaits those who want it.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #8
Level 27 Contractor

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 500

its not necessarily the kids fault either.

the schools are pushing kids away from trades....maybe recently there is this sudden realization, oh wait we need trades people.

However trades work is "low class work" the system tells kids if you dont go to university and get a desk job working for a bank you are worthless and contribute nothing to society. If you do work in the trades, you were probably to stupid for a desk job......laughable

There have always been disinterested teenagers, its the school system I blame.

Check out my gallery here http://on.fb.me/I2XylV
Check out my blog here http://sebastianbethke1337.wordpress.com/
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bastien1337 For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (02-22-2011), CSinMa (02-03-2013), Fishhook (02-21-2013), FRAME2FINISH (03-16-2011), ManningIL (04-13-2013), Railman (02-16-2013)
Old 02-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Pro

It's also societys' fault. Like you said, people see tradespeople as lower class.

That's one reason I push for licensing in all trades. Get some standards established, enforce them, and raise the bar. Then trades will become higher standard and higher paid.

The time is ripe for this. The public is going to be screaming for tradespeople. Who do they think will not only build new buildings, but renovate and repair the existing ones?

We need to push this whenever we can. Get rid of the hacks and undergrounders that are ruining the reputations of good tradesmen.

We have this to some extent in Canada, but it's not enforced. Thanks for reminding me, I'm going to stir up a sh!t storm over it. Just have to figure the best approach.

MPP, media, the web?
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,062

Bunch of 'em are contractors here in glorious & bankrupt Calif.
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (02-16-2013)
Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Licensed G. C. carpenter, flooring, remodeling
Rewards Points: 694

good im glad all you old farts are retiring... j/k!! I just hope america doesn't become little Mexico and they completely take over all the fun work like framing, siding, and roofing. They can have the sheetrock though, but only if they do a good job. I see so much drywall that is hung and finished just sorry. I've heard through the wood work that qualified masons are getting harder to come by because no one is entring that trade. But I can't blame people for wanting a better life. If i was in Mexico with no work or food and America wouldn't let me in, I would run across the rio grande' also. Just as long as they call me PATRON im cool

Last edited by bluebird5; 02-22-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: just cause
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
Pro

The thing is also you have guys like my dad who learned the drywall trait from the plaster days and has watched it go to crap there used to be a art to finishing and a since of pride I just hope 20 years from now the craftsmanship of the traits doesn't just disappear
The Following User Says Thank You to Bweikel For This Useful Post:
CO762 (02-25-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:26 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 1,682

punctuation over rated!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirtywhiteboy For This Useful Post:
Bummie (04-24-2013)
Old 02-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

More work for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
mehtwo (03-04-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
New Guy

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 25

in response to trades being "low class" (call it whatever you will)....
I have taken it upon myself to now shut off the individuals power (I'm a sparky) and walk away. I would love to see all trades take part too. Carpenters knock down a wall, take off a roof - whatever floats your boat...of course I'm kidding, but I'm sure people would learn really quick if we took back what we installed!
I have heard some good things, but mostly derogatory. In a hospital I worked in; the staff posted a sign that read "absolutely no construction workers allowed in elevators or to be seen in cafeteria or common areas" ...yeah, WTF is that?! I witnessed a lady tear a strip off worker in an elevator - turns out he was a patient, just came from another site. Still, they requested he use the stairs!! Makes me sick.
When are people going to learn we're all in this together, our contributions are for the good of a community - not just ourselves. I completely agree ALL trades should be heavily schooled and regulated to produce and maintain a professional level of craftsmanship that is respected in every regard - education & work.
No apprentices? Can you blame some kids when you see how many of a are viewed?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparxx For This Useful Post:
Railman (02-16-2013)
Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastien1337 View Post
its not necessarily the kids fault either.

the schools are pushing kids away from trades....maybe recently there is this sudden realization, oh wait we need trades people.

However trades work is "low class work" the system tells kids if you dont go to university and get a desk job working for a bank you are worthless and contribute nothing to society. If you do work in the trades, you were probably to stupid for a desk job......laughable

There have always been disinterested teenagers, its the school system I blame.
bastien is right. everyone is supposed to goto college now. college is great for some and not so great for others. there are a lot of people who are good with their hands who are pushed into college because you need a degree to compete now. high schools have dropped shop classes, too, so there's less to encourage them to get into the manual trades. it's a serious problem here and we finally seem to be aware of it after 40% of our profits came from the financial sector and then everything blew up in 2007. hopefully we can get back on track.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aptpupil For This Useful Post:
Bastien1337 (02-22-2011), Railman (02-16-2013)
Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM

As a man on the younger side my response is where are all the competent employers? I have such a hard time finding anyone who either wants to pay a decent wage or actually takes pride in what they build. So the sudden lack of apprentices may stem from a lack of sufficient builders. I would love to work for some of the skilled guys on here, but they seem to be few and far between.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DrewD For This Useful Post:
bauler (02-27-2011), Boda (03-26-2013), Brutus (02-22-2011), ca90ss (05-22-2011), cannonskate (02-23-2011), DonMalo (02-22-2013), FRAME2FINISH (03-16-2011), JT Wood (02-27-2011), Just-K (05-19-2011), mehtwo (03-04-2011), TBFGhost (02-22-2011), TheBuildingFirm (03-21-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
I eat sawdust.

Trade: Deck Design/Build

New residential construction where I live is mostly dominated by a certain nationality of legal immigrants.

The workmanship is worse than crap and I don't even want to know what they pay. I go to open houses all the time to look around and the stuff you see in these brand new $850k homes makes me want to puke.

There are so many shortcuts and things that would never pass a legitimate inspection that I end up getting pretty pissed.

Nobody can compete with these guys in price or (poor) quality. Let's just say that if I built it the exact same way, it wouldn't pass inspection.

I've decided I'm going to start taking photos and start an album just for open houses (of horror).

I think most apprentices here end up in commercial and high-rise construction because residential market is crap as noted above.

Last edited by Winchester; 02-22-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
Level 27 Contractor

Trade: Renovation
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Most of the new construction where I live is done by east indians.

The workmanship is worse than crap and I don't even want to know what they pay. I go to open houses all the time to look around and the stuff you see in these brand new $850k homes makes me want to puke.

There are so many shortcuts and things that would never pass a legitimate inspection that I end up getting pretty pissed.

Nobody can compete with these guys in price or (poor) quality. Let's just say that if I built it the exact same way, it wouldn't pass inspection.

I've decided I'm going to start taking photos and start an album just for open houses (of horror).

I think most apprentices here end up in commercial and high-rise construction because residential market is crap as noted above.

My post here address' alot of this issue with my own experience in the union. Even guys who want to get into the trades are coming up against these walls.

https://www.contractortalk.com/f11/mi...0/#post1124979

Check out my gallery here http://on.fb.me/I2XylV
Check out my blog here http://sebastianbethke1337.wordpress.com/
Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 150

Most work I see is done by real americans not illegals. Most people are detoured away because the market sucks right now. Its a big game of cutthroat. I'd be as happy as a fat kid in a donut shop if there was more work. I'd kill for a busy year again, no more hit and miss.

Advertisement

DonMalo (02-22-2013)