The Wall Of SHAME! - Page 334 - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

The Wall Of SHAME!

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #6661
Pro
 
Randy Bush's Avatar
 
Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 5,770
Rewards Points: 2,232

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
Typical scenario. Homeowner (me) tries to patch the siding on his house and he's too cheap to do it right. So he (me) just patches it in the most inconspicuous way. You can hardly even tell where the chimney chase used to be!
Blends right in.
Randy Bush is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
Anthill (05-02-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 05-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #6662
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 42,454
Rewards Points: 5,819

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
Ok, Why do the images insist on being sideways? And how can I change it?
Rotate them on your phone and resave it. Then upload it here. If you take the photo in landscape view it won't happen. Only seems to happen when you take it in portrait view.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is offline  
Old 05-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #6663
Hack
 
asevereid's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Posts: 2,833
Rewards Points: 178

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
Typical scenario. Homeowner (me) tries to patch the siding on his house and he's too cheap to do it right. So he (me) just patches it in the most inconspicuous way. You can hardly even tell where the chimney chase used to be!
Now it's a feature wall!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
__________________
How to figure your pricing:
http://goo.gl/Il8c2
L+M+O+P/ Pricing, Estimating, And Success
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
asevereid is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to asevereid For This Useful Post:
Anthill (05-02-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #6664
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,297
Rewards Points: 1,006

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Bet the last gutter guy told homeowner these would work great lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #6665
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,297
Rewards Points: 1,006

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


House across from one I looked at today in a very wealthy part of NJ. Not like they don't have the money to have it replaced. . Just don't get it.

Actually never looked at it that closely. Maybe just a sample to see what new roof would look like ?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 05-04-2018 at 08:37 PM.
NYgutterguy is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #6666
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 42,454
Rewards Points: 5,819

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Looks like they are trying to decide what color/style they want.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 PM   #6667
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 7,297
Rewards Points: 1,006

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Looks like they are trying to decide what color/style they want.


After I zoomed in common sense kicked in lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 09:01 PM   #6668
Pro
 
Jonbuild's Avatar
 
Trade: Log home builder
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 492

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.R. View Post
Just snapped this shot while at the hairdressers with my wife.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They did a good job scribing to the light fixture
Jonbuild is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonbuild For This Useful Post:
B.D.R. (05-07-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 09:46 PM   #6669
Hack
 
asevereid's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Posts: 2,833
Rewards Points: 178

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


As promised, here's the sidewalk we did yesterday... Next time we really ought to pay someone to do it.
The "broom" finish is lumpy as hell because the boss used a push broom... It never got screeded properly, so it's wavy as hell... I just shake my damn head sometimes.
Might be time to think about moving on...


Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
__________________
How to figure your pricing:
http://goo.gl/Il8c2
L+M+O+P/ Pricing, Estimating, And Success
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
asevereid is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to asevereid For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (05-05-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 10:28 PM   #6670
Punching above his weight
 
Easy Gibson's Avatar
 
Trade: Gun for hire.
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Best seat at the table
Posts: 8,334
Rewards Points: 18,090

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


I mean, those should definitely be stairs, but the job doesn't look thaaaaat bad. Those chunks will probably get kicked away over time.
Easy Gibson is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 10:29 PM   #6671
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,998
Rewards Points: 2,516

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
I mean, those should definitely be stairs, but the job doesn't look thaaaaat bad. Those chunks will probably get kicked away over time.
No they wonít, thatís a disaster.
Big Johnson is offline  
Old 05-04-2018, 10:41 PM   #6672
Hack
 
asevereid's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Posts: 2,833
Rewards Points: 178

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
No they wonít, thatís a disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
I mean, those should definitely be stairs, but the job doesn't look thaaaaat bad. Those chunks will probably get kicked away over time.
The chunks did get kicked away today... But that doesn't make it any better.
This is the direct result of an owner trying to save someone some money... I get where he's coming from, but it's not right.
I will state that I am not a flatwork guy... I'll do foundations and footings all day... But if it's a slab? Then someone who knows what they are doing needs to get in there... Not a guy like me, and a laborer.
The screeding was all done by mag float, and then it got a quick steel float before it was properly flattened... Followed immediately by the "broom" finish.
Does it work? Is it a sidewalk?
Yeah.
Is it the best that could have been done for the client?
No ****ing way.

I will be more than happy to hang my head in shame on this one.


Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
__________________
How to figure your pricing:
http://goo.gl/Il8c2
L+M+O+P/ Pricing, Estimating, And Success
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
asevereid is offline  
Old 05-05-2018, 09:49 AM   #6673
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 4,433
Rewards Points: 1,260

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
The chunks did get kicked away today... But that doesn't make it any better.
This is the direct result of an owner trying to save someone some money... I get where he's coming from, but it's not right.
I will state that I am not a flatwork guy... I'll do foundations and footings all day... But if it's a slab? Then someone who knows what they are doing needs to get in there... Not a guy like me, and a laborer.
The screeding was all done by mag float, and then it got a quick steel float before it was properly flattened... Followed immediately by the "broom" finish.
Does it work? Is it a sidewalk?
Yeah.
Is it the best that could have been done for the client?
No ****ing way.

I will be more than happy to hang my head in shame on this one.


Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
You probably know this, but the proper method is screeding first, usually with a wood 2x4, sometimes a Mag or aluminum screed. This should get your slab absolutely flat.

Then a bull float.

Then you must wait until all bleed water is evaporated before you put steel trowels on the slab, otherwise, you'll get scaling.

Then a final broom finish with a purpose-built concrete broom.
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #6674
Hack
 
asevereid's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Posts: 2,833
Rewards Points: 178

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven-Delta-FortyOne View Post
You probably know this, but the proper method is screeding first, usually with a wood 2x4, sometimes a Mag or aluminum screed. This should get your slab absolutely flat.

Then a bull float.

Then you must wait until all bleed water is evaporated before you put steel trowels on the slab, otherwise, you'll get scaling.

Then a final broom finish with a purpose-built concrete broom.
The boss tried to use a bull float... Couldn't figure out how to attack all the angles on this one... Then he gave up and started steeling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
__________________
How to figure your pricing:
http://goo.gl/Il8c2
L+M+O+P/ Pricing, Estimating, And Success
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
asevereid is offline  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #6675
Goin' Down in Flames....
 
Seven-Delta-FortyOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Highwayman
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Somewhere Between Heaven And Hell
Posts: 4,433
Rewards Points: 1,260

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
The boss tried to use a bull float... Couldn't figure out how to attack all the angles on this one... Then he gave up and started steeling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Seven-Delta-FortyOne is online now  
Old 05-05-2018, 03:54 PM   #6676
Pro
 
Stryker1-1's Avatar
 
Trade: Low Voltage Systems
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,085
Rewards Points: 2,350

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Looks like it will be a treat to get up and down when it gets wet

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Stryker1-1 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Stryker1-1 For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #6677
Pro
 
Randy Bush's Avatar
 
Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 5,770
Rewards Points: 2,232

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


A mess I have to fix when I reside one of my sisters house this fall. Good thing it does not leak into the house.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk
Randy Bush is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-05-2018), cedarboarder (05-10-2018), Morning Wood (05-05-2018), Rio (05-06-2018), SmallTownGuy (05-05-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #6678
Pro
 
Big Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor Grunt
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,998
Rewards Points: 2,516

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker1-1 View Post
Looks like it will be a treat to get up and down when it gets wet

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Even bigger treat to walk on with bare feets.
Big Johnson is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Johnson For This Useful Post:
Rio (05-06-2018), SmallTownGuy (05-06-2018)
Old 05-06-2018, 04:42 PM   #6679
Hack
 
asevereid's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kamloops, B.C.
Posts: 2,833
Rewards Points: 178

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker1-1 View Post
Looks like it will be a treat to get up and down when it gets wet

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
Even bigger treat to walk on with bare feets.
Yep... Waste of time and money if you ask me.
The HO don't ever plan on walking on this in bare feet... But they got "this" simply because they asked for it. The boss (I guess) didn't have a problem with giving to them with no questions asked.

I don't get to make the decisions about all the jobs we do, and I seem to have a problem with continuing to work for companies whose MO devolves in to this "get work, do work, get paid" mentality over time.
I'm considering a change again... Maybe find someone else who cares, or maybe try going on my own again. Who knows?
What I do know is that I don't ever WANT to display any project I've been involved in, in this thread.




Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
__________________
How to figure your pricing:
http://goo.gl/Il8c2
L+M+O+P/ Pricing, Estimating, And Success
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
asevereid is offline  
Old 05-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #6680
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 16,993
Rewards Points: 6,114

Re: The Wall Of SHAME!


Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
Yep... Waste of time and money if you ask me.
The HO don't ever plan on walking on this in bare feet... But they got "this" simply because they asked for it. The boss (I guess) didn't have a problem with giving to them with no questions asked.

I don't get to make the decisions about all the jobs we do, and I seem to have a problem with continuing to work for companies whose MO devolves in to this "get work, do work, get paid" mentality over time.
I'm considering a change again... Maybe find someone else who cares, or maybe try going on my own again. Who knows?
What I do know is that I don't ever WANT to display any project I've been involved in, in this thread.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
FWIW: I've had flatwork guys do sidewalks for me that deserve to be in this thread. They passed inspections too.

Chit happens. Take a chill before you leap froggy is all I got.

Advertisement

__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
asevereid (05-06-2018)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! Hardie Plank stuck to concrete wall TarPaperCrane Concrete & Paving 18 11-22-2017 08:11 PM
Waterproofing Exterior of Block Wall questions. hevnbnd Masonry 0 11-09-2010 08:42 PM
Furring out wall on top of drywall zesone General Discussion 6 10-27-2010 03:28 PM
What size steel beam to use for load bearing wall??? brianmvp Construction 16 07-29-2009 05:56 AM
Wall papered brick wall repaint sparehair Painting & Finish Work 1 12-28-2008 08:01 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?