Recommendations On A Router And Table - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Recommendations On A Router And Table

Old 12-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
Remodeler

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 30

Recommendations On A Router And Table

I bought a Bosch Benchtop Router Table RA1181 and a Bosch 1617EVSPK router a few years back. I've never been happy with it primarily when using the router table. It's a pain in the butt to replace bits especially due to no lockout ability. And the table feels cheap and unstable. I'm a contractor and am always taking these tools from job to job.
Can anyone offer some recommendations on something a little more user friendly and hearty.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodel,finish&trim
Rewards Points: 1,916

Re: Recommendations On A Router And Table

https://www.rousseauco.com/ss-folding-router-table.html .I do not know what you want but I have one of these .height is good .the bench top seems dumb since bench space on a jobsight is so valuable .this also has a decent size table top . mine does not wiggle about .
as for the router , i have one of those https://www.amazon.com/Triton-MOF001...=triton+router .some people swear by this router ,it was cheap in cost and I found the same with it's quality . got it for bench top lift feature .that said i have been using it for years .just not with raised panel or heavier bits . Type in ryobi R-600 .You cannot buy it anymore .But take a look at the big nob extending out of the top . That nob adjust bit height very well .I have makita with a nob like this also .
Turns out the above bench feature doesn't save that much .You so often have to get down and sight the bit height any way .
As for changing the bit ,It is not an issue to pull the router as it is to change the set-up .everytime you change the bit fense needs to be reset ,a new zero cleance adjustment etc .To get the bit adjusted ,fense set etc -that takes up the time .Get a good fense .
I have had 3 routers set up under tables on one job .some times mounting router to a piece of plywood and the improvised fense is all you need for a project
a bit to wordy but i love the subject .if what i said wasn't clear ask me to clarify .

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to JFM constr For This Useful Post:
TheConstruct (12-23-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 10:51 PM   #3
Pro

do a search on router tables on this sight . i have a picture posted of two of my folding tables .
this should link you up https://www.contractortalk.com/f40/j...-table-201537/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2018, 09:19 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 919

If you carry a jobsite table saw, you should be able to incorporate a router into the saw or the outfeed table.

Here is my setup with a Bosch table saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations on a Router and Table-009.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to RichVT For This Useful Post:
asevereid (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #5
Pro

problem is if you need to change your fense to cut with the saw you just lost your set-up on to the router .to my thinking or to my experience the set-up can be detailed and time consuming .for alot of wood types you need a zero clearance or you get splits,tear-out . plus with that saw shown and it's short table you will need at least two hold downs unless your piece is like two feet long and you can feed it tight to the fense .
oh seemed a good use of space to place a router under my table saw or mitersaw outfeed .just doesn't work out to be that useful .
Old 12-24-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 828

I've been close to ordering this one a couple of times.
There doesn't seem to be any accommodation for micro adjusting bit height though.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...er-Table/G0528
Old 12-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 783

https://sommerfeldtools.com/professi...ds-accessories
check out Marc Sommerfeds table and Triton router. I have the Triton router in my table. I had my table machined from 3/4 inch steel at a machine shop. It is stationary and weighs a few hundred pounds.

Nicko
Old 12-24-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 919

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM constr View Post
problem is if you need to change your fense to cut with the saw you just lost your set-up on to the router .to my thinking or to my experience the set-up can be detailed and time consuming .for alot of wood types you need a zero clearance or you get splits,tear-out . plus with that saw shown and it's short table you will need at least two hold downs unless your piece is like two feet long and you can feed it tight to the fense .
oh seemed a good use of space to place a router under my table saw or mitersaw outfeed .just doesn't work out to be that useful .
You're right it's not perfect but there is something to be said for not having to transport, set up and find space for multiple machines on a job site.

Change over is pretty quick - two screws hold the router fence to the saw rip fence and the router table just drops into place.

I store the saw vertically in my trailer and all of the router table pieces are mounted to the wall behind the saw (there's a ton of empty space under the saw) so it's very compact to transport.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendations on a Router and Table-trailer-021.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to RichVT For This Useful Post:
Lettusbee (12-24-2018)
Old 12-24-2018, 03:23 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichVT View Post
You're right it's not perfect but there is something to be said for not having to transport, set up and find space for multiple machines on a job site.

Change over is pretty quick - two screws hold the router fence to the saw rip fence and the router table just drops into place.

I store the saw vertically in my trailer and all of the router table pieces are mounted to the wall behind the saw (there's a ton of empty space under the saw) so it's very compact to transport.
true .plus you can always set up another one .
Old 12-29-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,098

I use to have a JessEm w/ a Triton. you can check out some of their options at a WoodCraft store, if near enough for you. It was a nice setup but I didn't have the need for it and parted ways when I moved. I loved the fence.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinDB View Post
I use to have a JessEm w/ a Triton. you can check out some of their options at a WoodCraft store, if near enough for you. It was a nice setup but I didn't have the need for it and parted ways when I moved. I loved the fence.
How was the Triton router itself?
Old 12-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #12
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 10,709

This is a good router. I used it in the table I built.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.contractortalk.com/f40/m...-table-356033/
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 12-29-2018, 11:47 PM   #13
Pro

the triton .i will be more specific with my experience .got it for the lift .i kept breaking it .all plastic ,i must of been doing something wrong .i got a router razor after the 2nd time and this has worked flawlessly .the router comes with a lot of cool stuff that other routers sell as extra .So I am saying it cost less .For a homeowner /backyard shop it is a good purchase .Could be a good purchase for a professional -could be .
It is not a heavy weight ,It is mostly plastic .The bit can deflect under load ,I smoked it once doing something . But it has been fine with smaller stuff .Not my only router ,I may only have 9 now .not my only router set-up for a table .
One thing I have found out ,the above table lift is great when my back is stiff and i am running through bits comparing profiles .but general you need to get down table height with your eye to set the bit height and generally reaching under the table to raise and lower the bit is so easy .even with the triton you still have to reach under to turn the lever to set keep the adjustment and you need to reach under to reset the safty . does that help .
Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #14
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 10,709

The Bosch has an access point on the baseplate for a 3mm allen wrench that you can raise and lower the router bit on the fixed base. This is how I adjust the height of the bit while it's in the table.

I have a tabletop bit that I use that has a 1" cut and a 2 1/2" diameter. It's the biggest bit I own and when I use it on my 2.25HP EVS 1617 router I had to go in increments to get a good cut. With the MRC23EVS I do it in one pass, it's a 2.3 HP router. It's just so much stronger than the 1617.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
asevereid (12-30-2018), Lettusbee (12-30-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #15
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,098

I think the newer jessemís and maybe Woodpecker systems have an optional top accessed lift system. Mine did not. Just hope that the access point doesnít get too clogged with wood chips.

The Triton was fine for what I used it for. Tried coping/rails/stiles with large bits only a time or two but the cherry slowed it down. Just as likely my bits werenít high quality though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2019, 06:48 PM   #16
Pro

thought this might help with your search for a router lift .http://routertechnologies.com/routerraizer.htm .i actually had to put one on my triton ,i kept breaking the plastic lift part .but it works on a lot of routers and is a very good product .
Old 06-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #17

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 114

I always go for a DeWalt powertool so I'm guaranteed with the durability and performance. But if you don't want to give up on your router table just yet, you can follow JFM constr's advice and get a router lift. It can help you manoeuvre your router table better and it isn't that huge too, so you can still move the machine easily from one job to another. More options for good router lifts here: https://toildrop.com/best-router-lift/

Advertisement