Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets. - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #1
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,801
Rewards Points: 10,610

Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Can I paint them, and how do I prep them. The outdoor accents weren't in the job budget, but if I can I would like to paint them to make them look a bit better.

I've seen everything from wipe them with vinegar to you need to wait two years so they can build up a layer of zinc protection.

Anyone had success painting them. Post bases, and L brackets mainly.



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 03-28-2019, 07:08 AM   #2
Artist and not a curator
 
Deckhead's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry,
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 7,974
Rewards Points: 14,470

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Can I paint them, and how do I prep them. The outdoor accents weren't in the job budget, but if I can I would like to paint them to make them look a bit better.

I've seen everything from wipe them with vinegar to you need to wait two years so they can build up a layer of zinc protection.

Anyone had success painting them. Post bases, and L brackets mainly.



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'm sure you can, as galvanizing something only attracts the oxidation to the coating and not the metal below. (Think galvanized nodes on a boat motor lower unit) So, If it completely enclosed and can't oxidize, the paint would adhere and stay. The problem you would have is down the road if the paint cracks at all it will oxidize behind the paint and peel off.

You would be better off buying their powder coated brackets and painting those.

Advertisement

__________________
Dont make fun of the people who post from their moms basement... they're a little unstable.
Deckhead is online now  
Old 03-28-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,534
Rewards Points: 6,310

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


I see them painted all the time with limited or no prep and no special paint. The paint generally seems to fare about as good as exterior paint does. When in contact with the ground, not well at all. I'd think a good primer from a rattle can and you'd be in good shape.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
Rio (03-28-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-28-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Pro
 
Idothat's Avatar
 
Trade: Home improvement of all types
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Richmond va
Posts: 944
Rewards Points: 2,512

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Galvanized metal should be cleaned thoroughly with detergent and rinsed with clean water to remove any oil residue from manufacturing. Do not use solvents to clean as they will leave a film . Any oxidation should be removed.

Prime with high quality latex primer and top coat with latex paint. Do not use oil based paints or primers , they are not compatible and will fail .

Alkyd oil paints chemically react with the zinc coating and create a soap like film that will make the paint peel in sheets.
Idothat is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Idothat For This Useful Post:
Golden view (03-28-2019), hdavis (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,801
Rewards Points: 10,610

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
I'm sure you can, as galvanizing something only attracts the oxidation to the coating and not the metal below. (Think galvanized nodes on a boat motor lower unit) So, If it completely enclosed and can't oxidize, the paint would adhere and stay. The problem you would have is down the road if the paint cracks at all it will oxidize behind the paint and peel off.

You would be better off buying their powder coated brackets and painting those.
Normally I would buy them. I am painting everything black. However, there was a budget decision and the powder coated ones came out of the budget.

I have a bad habit of just spending my money and buying the upper level parts anyway, but I am not going to do that on this one. It would be a huge difference, and that would be straight out of my pocket.

I already skimmed the budget down out of my pocket because it will be a very cool project, so I can't put anything extra into it. No matter how much I want to. Even as you know, I still am. I just can't do that with the brackets.

So, as you see in this thread, I have two or three different way to do it. That is the problem I'm finding online.



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  
Old 03-28-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,534
Rewards Points: 6,310

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Idothat View Post
Galvanized metal should be cleaned thoroughly with detergent and rinsed with clean water to remove any oil residue from manufacturing. Do not use solvents to clean as they will leave a film . Any oxidation should be removed.

Prime with high quality latex primer and top coat with latex paint. Do not use oil based paints or primers , they are not compatible and will fail .

Alkyd oil paints chemically react with the zinc coating and create a soap like film that will make the paint peel in sheets.
This is very good information
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
finisher65 (04-07-2019), Idothat (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,707
Rewards Points: 3,852

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
Normally I would buy them. I am painting everything black. However, there was a budget decision and the powder coated ones came out of the budget.

I have a bad habit of just spending my money and buying the upper level parts anyway, but I am not going to do that on this one. It would be a huge difference, and that would be straight out of my pocket.

I already skimmed the budget down out of my pocket because it will be a very cool project, so I can't put anything extra into it. No matter how much I want to. Even as you know, I still am. I just can't do that with the brackets.

So, as you see in this thread, I have two or three different way to do it. That is the problem I'm finding online.



Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
There really isn't two ways to do it. Something like a an acrylic bonding primer and acrylic top coats. That's pretty much it.

Prep is whatever is needed, based on condition. Soapy water, soapy water and bon ami, soapy water and sand paper. Roughening the surface obviously improves adhesion at the expense of the zinc protection.

If you want to spend a lot if money, you can use any if the automotive systems for galvanized.. .
hdavis is online now  
Old 03-29-2019, 02:41 AM   #8
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,801
Rewards Points: 10,610

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


I ended up buying the outdoor accents. Got a good deal at the local shop, so it made sense. Would have done it anyway, just to alleviate the hassle.

I do need to paint a few heavy L brackets, so I'll use latex on them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  
Old 03-29-2019, 03:13 AM   #9
test
 
cedarboarder's Avatar
 
Trade: Workaholic
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: BC Bring Cash
Posts: 2,629
Rewards Points: 486

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


self etching primer
cedarboarder is offline  
Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 AM   #10
Pro
 
Ohio painter's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Rewards Points: 2,794

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Not all Acrylic bonding primer is exterior. Another good choice for galvanize is SW Procryl primer.
Ohio painter is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
cedarboarder (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 09:49 AM   #11
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,801
Rewards Points: 10,610

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Can I get that in a can? I'd like to rattle can them if possible. Looks better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  
Old 03-29-2019, 11:31 AM   #12
Pro
 
Ohio painter's Avatar
 
Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,509
Rewards Points: 2,794

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Procryl is only in gallons. Not many quality primers in a rattle can for what you are wanting to do.
Ohio painter is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
hdavis (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 23,707
Rewards Points: 3,852

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
Procryl is only in gallons. Not many quality primers in a rattle can for what you are wanting to do.
If you upgrade to rustoleun, they have the epoxy primer for their epoxy system in rattle cans.
hdavis is online now  
Old 03-29-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,801
Rewards Points: 10,610

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


I was looking on line and it looks like zinzzer 123 will work on galvanized.

It also says use with any topcoat. Can I use 123, then topcoat with a rattle can of satin black rustoleum or krylon?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  
Old 03-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #15
edward trowelhands
 
Golden view's Avatar
 
Trade: Diplomat
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: PDX
Posts: 4,534
Rewards Points: 6,310

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylHanger View Post
I was looking on line and it looks like zinzzer 123 will work on galvanized.

It also says use with any topcoat. Can I use 123, then topcoat with a rattle can of satin black rustoleum or krylon?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Not the oil based. It's annoying that there is an oil and water base with the same name.
__________________
You make something idiot proof and the world invents a better idiot.
Golden view is online now  
Old 03-29-2019, 06:00 PM   #16
Pro
 
VinylHanger's Avatar
 
Trade: I'll do that for 500 bucks.
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,801
Rewards Points: 10,610

Re: Question About Painting Z-max Post Bases And Brackets.


It's the water based. I have some of the gray primer left from another job.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Advertisement

__________________
Your emergency does not constitute a problem with my Constitution.
VinylHanger is online now  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?