PVC Screen Panels - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

PVC Screen Panels

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Pro
 
crovello's Avatar
 
Trade: General contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 249
Rewards Points: 150

PVC Screen Panels


The project I am working on has a section of the deck screened in. I am making the framework that will receive the screen panels out of PVC trim boards. I have always made my screen panels out of cedar but I am considering making them out of PVC.

These are the concerns I have.
1) Will the frames be rigid enough. The architect said they do not have to have quick release hardware and could be screwed in. The frames will be 1" thick by 2 1/4" wide. Here is a picture of the frame they will go in. The lower right frame has a mockup panel in it just to show the architect how it will look from the outside. The mockup is not plowed out for screen.
PVC screen panels-img_1343.jpg

2) Can I buy PVC screen stop? I could make them but I find small moldings milled from PVC can be to brittle. The extruded molding from advance trim works seem to be much less brittle. As you can see in this next picture the 3" thick corner brackets are plowed out to receive the screen panels. This means the top corner panels will be curved. I shutter to think how many curved cedar moldings I will snap trying to fasten them in. I am hoping to heat up PVC moldings and form them to the shape I need.
PVC screen panels-img_1359.jpg

3) My last concern needs to be adressed to my screen installer. I wonder how they will like installing bronze screen in this PVC frame.

Have any of you used PVC for this?
Thanks
Dave
PVC screen panels-img_1349.jpg
crovello is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
Pro
 
ClemS's Avatar
 
Trade: Framing
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SI, NY
Posts: 506
Rewards Points: 500

Re: PVC Screen Panels


Quote:
Originally Posted by crovello View Post
The project I am working on has a section of the deck screened in. I am making the framework that will receive the screen panels out of PVC trim boards. I have always made my screen panels out of cedar but I am considering making them out of PVC.

These are the concerns I have.
1) Will the frames be rigid enough. The architect said they do not have to have quick release hardware and could be screwed in. The frames will be 1" thick by 2 1/4" wide. Here is a picture of the frame they will go in. The lower right frame has a mockup panel in it just to show the architect how it will look from the outside. The mockup is not plowed out for screen.
PVC trim expands and contracts considerably more than any wood species. Stand alone frames will deform under direct sunlight. Screwing them in is the way to go. PVC trim should remain a light color if it's painted, sun melts the stuff if it's painted a dark color. I heard that there's a special paint you can use to get darker colors but I can't think of the name off-hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crovello View Post
2) Can I buy PVC screen stop? I could make them but I find small moldings milled from PVC can be to brittle. The extruded molding from advance trim works seem to be much less brittle. As you can see in this next picture the 3" thick corner brackets are plowed out to receive the screen panels. This means the top corner panels will be curved. I shutter to think how many curved cedar moldings I will snap trying to fasten them in. I am hoping to heat up PVC moldings and form them to the shape I need.
I'd look into having the screens pre-made with an aluminum border, and then embedding them into a PVC frame. Could be as easy as making the frames out of 5/4 stock and plowing them out with a slot cutter, and assembling around a pre-made screen.

Advertisement

ClemS is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
Pro
 
crovello's Avatar
 
Trade: General contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 249
Rewards Points: 150

Re: PVC Screen Panels


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemS View Post
PVC trim expands and contracts considerably more than any wood species. Stand alone frames will deform under direct sunlight. Screwing them in is the way to go. PVC trim should remain a light color if it's painted, sun melts the stuff if it's painted a dark color. I heard that there's a special paint you can use to get darker colors but I can't think of the name off-hand.

Sherwin Williams makes a reflective paint that is meant for PVC or vinyl. I can't recall the exact name at the moment. That is what we will be using.


I'd look into having the screens pre-made with an aluminum border, and then embedding them into a PVC frame. Could be as easy as making the frames out of 5/4 stock and plowing them out with a slot cutter, and assembling around a pre-made screen.
I like the idea of having the screen streched into an aluminum frame but I would still want it installed with a stop so they could be removed for repair. I will look into my options. Thanks for the idea. I will however not be giving you credit if the architect likes the idea.

Dave
crovello is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-09-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Pro
 
ClemS's Avatar
 
Trade: Framing
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SI, NY
Posts: 506
Rewards Points: 500

Re: PVC Screen Panels


Quote:
Originally Posted by crovello View Post
I like the idea of having the screen streched into an aluminum frame but I would still want it installed with a stop so they could be removed for repair. I will look into my options. Thanks for the idea. I will however not be giving you credit if the architect likes the idea.

Dave
don't glue the bottom leg on all frames to facilitate replacement. you can make up the tops and the sides with glue, then just screw the bottom in through the miter.

if the screen is stretched to an aluminum frame you don't need to worry about securing the azek frames, and set them in on some kind of easy release hardware.

i'd stay away from trying to stretch right to this stuff, it's a tad too soft and tangible.
ClemS is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Pro
 
N.Schiffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Builder
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 108
Rewards Points: 75

Re: PVC Screen Panels


I agree, I would have the screens stretched to a different material, and use the pvc for decorative only. By the way, that looks awesome, I'm very excited to see this house done, are you a one man crew or own a multi man business? I may be looking for a job come May when I graduate with my bachelors in construction. Again looks good!
__________________
Nick Schiffer
Specializing in Custom Sheds
Custom Carpentry
& General Construction
N.Schiffer is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Pro
 
crovello's Avatar
 
Trade: General contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 249
Rewards Points: 150

Re: PVC Screen Panels


Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemS View Post
don't glue the bottom leg on all frames to facilitate replacement. you can make up the tops and the sides with glue, then just screw the bottom in through the miter.

if the screen is stretched to an aluminum frame you don't need to worry about securing the azek frames, and set them in on some kind of easy release hardware.

i'd stay away from trying to stretch right to this stuff, it's a tad too soft and tangible.
Another good idea I can claim as my own
The one problem I will have is the curved section. I hope the fabricator can match my radius perfectly.

Thanks again,
Dave
crovello is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
Pro
 
crovello's Avatar
 
Trade: General contractor
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 249
Rewards Points: 150

Re: PVC Screen Panels


Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Schiffer View Post
I agree, I would have the screens stretched to a different material, and use the pvc for decorative only. By the way, that looks awesome, I'm very excited to see this house done, are you a one man crew or own a multi man business? I may be looking for a job come May when I graduate with my bachelors in construction. Again looks good!
That would be a large project for a one man crew
I have a five man crew on this project. We will do everything from frame to finish. I am looking forward to the finish, there is a ton of nice detail in this house.

Where in Mass do you live? My office and shop are in Acushnet but I live in East Freetown.

Dave
crovello is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #8
Pro
 
N.Schiffer's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Builder
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 108
Rewards Points: 75

Re: PVC Screen Panels


Quote:
Originally Posted by crovello View Post
That would be a large project for a one man crew
I have a five man crew on this project. We will do everything from frame to finish. I am looking forward to the finish, there is a ton of nice detail in this house.

Where in Mass do you live? My office and shop are in Acushnet but I live in East Freetown.

Dave
Sorry I should've been more clear, I wasn't sure if you were just hired as a carpenter on the job, or if you ran the project. I know some guys that fly solo, and get hired to do parts of a home, wasn't sure if you were in the same bought.

I'm in Stoughton, MA but I must say the work you do is right up my alley on what I've always wanted to get into. Real detailed trim work, along with the grunt framing and roofing, I do it all now, just not on a "full scale" I'll be in touch come graduation.
__________________
Nick Schiffer
Specializing in Custom Sheds
Custom Carpentry
& General Construction
N.Schiffer is offline  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Pro
 
ClemS's Avatar
 
Trade: Framing
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SI, NY
Posts: 506
Rewards Points: 500

Re: PVC Screen Panels


Quote:
Originally Posted by crovello View Post
Another good idea I can claim as my own
The one problem I will have is the curved section. I hope the fabricator can match my radius perfectly.

Thanks again,
Dave
cut some temps out of 1/4" ply. don't give these guys radii (recipe for disaster).

i'm a little envious of you working on that project. it looks very detailed and it seems like money is not the number one priority. those projects are always nice because you get to do things the RIGHT way. not the economically RIGHT way

Advertisement

ClemS is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screen Porch Project With "Screen Tight" basswood Finish Carpentry 33 10-16-2014 01:00 PM
The sideroll retractable screen from Andersen UpNorth General Discussion 15 04-08-2013 08:03 PM
sagging screen problem Badintheknees Decks & Fencing 11 07-07-2009 11:42 PM
Screen porch in Sandwich Maine adriand Carpentry 0 07-05-2009 01:52 PM
Azek Panels Marc DeLorenzo Remodeling 4 11-14-2008 07:37 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?