Need Help Keeping Nice Lady In A Bathtub From Crashing Into The Dining Room Below... - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Need Help Keeping Nice Lady In A Bathtub From Crashing Into The Dining Room Below...

Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Need Help Keeping Nice Lady In A Bathtub From Crashing Into The Dining Room Below...

Pictures included...

(of the problem).

Need some creativity / more experience here. After the plumbers got through, I've been left with one top-notched joist with two nearby notches through the bottom 1/3 of the lumber - both within a few inches of each other, the adjacent joist with a gaping notch through the bottom 1/3 of the lumber, etc. They all run directly under the tub...

Situation is a bathroom remodel of a 70-80 YO home. Bath is on the second floor, dining room directly below. Plumbing for the original bath ran part way through the mud bed & tile, partway through the floor joists. Old plumbing was clogged & degraded lead / galvanized & we decided to redo all the plumbing...

The images are taken from below. Joists are 2x8's, partly obscured by the supports for the mudbed. In the first photo, you can see where the original plumbers notched the top and bottom of the joist under the drain. The adjacent joist was similarly bottom notched (obscured by ceiling).

The second photo pretty much speaks for itself.

So the question is - (short of lowering the ceiling) - how can I properly support / buttress these joists to keep the nice lady from falling through the floor the first time she bathes after we finish the remodel?

I've looked at Simpson's website, but can't figure out which strap(s) I need to fix the problem...

Other suggestions appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Need help keeping nice lady in a bathtub from crashing into the dining room below...-old-plumbing1.jpg   Need help keeping nice lady in a bathtub from crashing into the dining room below...-new-plumbing1.jpg  

Last edited by Panzer5; 08-10-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Need Help Keeping Nice Lady In A Bathtub From Crashing Into The Dining Room Below...

Hydrofluoric Acid is certainly out of the question............

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM7Vsg_7WkU

Advertisement

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 08-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,498

Re: Need Help Keeping Nice Lady In A Bathtub From Crashing Into The Dining Room Below...

You needed a plumber that didnt take the easy route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"

Too bad there wasn't a plan
before the joist were completely destroyed.
I'd start by tearing out the plumbing.
Then restructuring the joist.
Then routing the plumbing over,
or at least near the wall.

Last edited by neolitic; 08-10-2010 at 07:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to neolitic For This Useful Post:
thom (08-11-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: (reformed) Small Projects Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer5 View Post
Pictures included...

I've looked at Simpson's website, but can't figure out which strap(s) I need to fix the problem...

Other suggestions appreciated!
No strap will fix this problem.

Sister the joists

Re-routing makes sense. Can the drain go down through the wall cavity? If not, then a bulkhead...

Last edited by iHandy; 08-10-2010 at 07:36 PM. Reason: add more useful information
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHandy View Post
No strap will fix this problem.

Yeah, I figured as much.

I'd looked at these ( metwood reinforcers but they're all for those with the forethought...

I'd left instructions for the plumber that any cuts he made needed to be properly reinforced - but didn't expect what I got (this all happened while I was off site on another install). I just about lost it when I saw this.

I'm having them pull the drainpipe anyway - since it has ZERO fall. I guess I can try to fix this with something like the metwood reinforcers.

* Sistering won't work - already rejected that - because the sisters would be identically weak.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 680

I agree on the above comments, cut out plumbing, sister in new joists and reroute plumbing. The plumber should know better.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,262

I agree with sistering the joists. Pipe should be re-done and placed in the center of the joist too. Notch in top looks too big which would be a code violation, check your code book.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 PM   #9
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

Why can't the drain go in the wall next to the trap?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Dering View Post
Why can't the drain go in the wall next to the trap?
There is no internal wall below the trap. It would have to go down the exterior wall, which is uninsulated. While I'll admit I am not as well educated on plumbing issues as I should be, I've always heard that plumbing in an exterior wall in a freezing zone is a no-no. (Although, since water doesn't stand in the drain pipe - I guess it wouldn't be as problematic as if the supply were there...).
Old 08-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Pro

Re: sistering;

I'm okay with sistering the joists - so long as we can re-route the drain pipe. But sistering around the problem won't work. I don't even mind them re-running water service through after I sister the joists with whole lumber - so long as they don't drill through the bottom 1/3 of the joists.

But see the above comment; the only other route for the drain is down the outside wall...
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,084

I hope you didn't pay the plumber. They are requried to know how and where to drill the joists. unbelievable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevjob For This Useful Post:
dprimc (08-12-2010), thom (08-11-2010), Tom M (08-10-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 538

Wow!!!
First, boots won't fix that. 2nd, those guys aren't licensed. Anyone can buy a crimper at home cheapo and call themselves a plumber. All the plumbers I know use expandable aqua pex. Those holes for the pex are uneven, fine. But their on the bottom 3rd of the joist. And is that a 3 1/2" hole for 1 1/2" pipe. 2 7/16" is really the max hole size for 2x8's, but you don't even need more than 2 1/8" tops. It doesn't look like it will drain either.

Definitely sister up some joists. And fire them and get someone else. Really should of fixed the joists first.

Last edited by William James; 08-10-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 12,490

Quote:
There is no internal wall below the trap. It would have to go down the exterior wall, which is uninsulated. While I'll admit I am not as well educated on plumbing issues as I should be, I've always heard that plumbing in an exterior wall in a freezing zone is a no-no. (Although, since water doesn't stand in the drain pipe - I guess it wouldn't be as problematic as if the supply were there...).
If it was so cold out that the water draining from that tub froze harder than a honeymoon peter, I'd say there will be bigger fish to fry.

Plus you would have the chance to get some insulation in there when it's open, right?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

You need to get another plumber from craigslist.

Anybody who penetrates a joist should know the code, there is no excuse of "I'm just a plumber, or I'm just an electrician", if you are going to penetrate joists and studs you better take responsibility for doing it right.

What a mess that is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Finley For This Useful Post:
MAD Renovations (08-10-2010), olligator (08-11-2010)
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #16
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Dering View Post
harder than a honeymoon peter

We always used to say stiffer then a wedding d*ck.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:25 PM   #17
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 538

Quote:
could build a chase
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #18
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

There is actually a bracket made for that.. I can not for the life of me remember who makes it..

It has the notch for the pipe and nails to the bottom of the joists..

I thought I saw a picture of the product here once before..

Old 08-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley
You need to get another plumber from craigslist.
At this point, I wish I'd gotten these guys from craigslist. Then I could just punch myself in the head for being stupid.

Silly me, I went with a large, respected (& well insured) company in town. Service manager is easy to get along with - and responsive - but it seems the guy he sent is a hack. He's definately not coming out on any future jobs.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

Quote:
At this point, I wish I'd gotten these guys from craigslist. Then I could just punch myself in the head for being stupid.

Silly me, I went with a large, respected (& well insured) company in town. Service manager is easy to get along with - and responsive - but it seems the guy he sent is a hack. He's definately not coming out on any future jobs.

Large plumbing company smells like a service company, do they spend most of their time snaking drains and such? That would explain a lot.

Advertisement