My House - Ideas For Addition - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

My House - Ideas For Addition

Old 02-27-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Dufus Extrodinaire

Trade: Residential Renovations
Rewards Points: 150

My House - Ideas For Addition

I'm stumped. I am planning on putting an addition on the front of my house but can't seem to find a concept that I like. Been searching images but no roof lines like mine with the same type of house build. I've been driving all over hoping to see something but, nada!

The thing that's got me is how can I incorporate a nice front with say a 10/12 pitch (gable) to the roof line that is presently there.

The addition will be a masterbedroom w/ ensuite bath - with a garage below (side access). Starting from the right of the front door to the right end of the house. (26'x16'). And the front entrance moved out 10' - so 7'x10'. Brick on all.

I've been drawing and drawing but to no avail...I am not a house builder - I am interiors.

I will be getting an archy in a couple months for plans but I would like a concept of some sorts so I can think a bit clearer.

Much appreciated guys!
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-ct-house.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to BHR For This Useful Post:
idiotfromPA (02-27-2009)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,584

Re: My House - Ideas For Addition

Tri-levels are hard to deal with, hard to make something new look right with that style of house.

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

You build the roof line of the new addition higher than the old one and don't tie in to the existing roof.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
Dufus Extrodinaire

Sorry, I should have said it was a raised ranch. Lower level is at grade with the driveway - upper level is one floor. The area for the addition will be dug out to accomadate the garage
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-ct-2.jpg  

Last edited by BHR; 02-27-2009 at 04:20 PM. Reason: pic
Old 02-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Framing Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHR View Post
I'm stumped. I am planning on putting an addition on the front of my house but can't seem to find a concept that I like. Been searching images but no roof lines like mine with the same type of house build. I've been driving all over hoping to see something but, nada!

The thing that's got me is how can I incorporate a nice front with say a 10/12 pitch (gable) to the roof line that is presently there.

The addition will be a masterbedroom w/ ensuite bath - with a garage below (side access). Starting from the right of the front door to the right end of the house. (26'x16'). And the front entrance moved out 10' - so 7'x10'. Brick on all.

I've been drawing and drawing but to no avail...I am not a house builder - I am interiors.

I will be getting an archy in a couple months for plans but I would like a concept of some sorts so I can think a bit clearer.

Much appreciated guys!
Here's a very bad quick drawing. Is this something like what you're talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-contractor-talk-addition.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Here's a very bad quick drawing. Is this something like what you're talking about?
Think about deleting the roof over front entryway and carrying rafter tails down from roof that Joe C. drew on the addition to cover entryway.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Dufus Extrodinaire

Thanks Joe. Yeah sort of like that but the door is at the upper grade level and the foyer is moved out 10' (enclosed)

This is what I had come up with but it's all wrong and i know it by looking at the roofline sketch.

i was hoping to keep the additions roofline at the same height as the exsisting roof. - likely won't happen right?
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-addition-draft.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #8
Pro

I raised it so that the fascia meets the top fascia and you will just have to frame a cricket on top where the entrance roof gable dies into the main roof gable.
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-contractor-talk-addition.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #9
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,584

Run the back side of new roof past old, match over hangs and put a vent in that little tiangle. I added a new roof system on a really screwed up house layout and that is pretty much what I had to do. You could always hip the new roof section back into the old, and hip your front stoop and then make a cricket to funnel water out and down.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #10
Dufus Extrodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
Run the back side of new roof past old, match over hangs and put a vent in that little tiangle. I added a new roof system on a really screwed up house layout and that is pretty much what I had to do. You could always hip the new roof section back into the old, and hip your front stoop and then make a cricket to funnel water out and down.

I had thought about running the new roof all the way to the back but thought it may look odd. I never thought about being able to hip the gabled roof to the old or even doing a hip on the foyer roof.

thanks so much

I just need a good compromies for the front since the front wall is so tall due to the grade. I sure would like to be able to do a gable since the wife would like a vaulted type ceiling in the bedroom.
The Following User Says Thank You to BHR For This Useful Post:
idiotfromPA (02-27-2009)
Old 02-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,794

Well frankly speaking, if you start putting differing roof pitches in there willy-nilly it will always look like an after thought. Keep the same pitch on the addition as is on the main house. If need be put a differing pitch on the entrance, it is smaller and would benefit from a little added flair and dimension.
Keep the existing semi-garrison look with the upper siding and the lower stone, at least somewhat.
Spend a little money and hire a good residential designer. We can do your design and your construction documents.

Andy.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,100

Did this a while back.
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-addition_level_before__web_.jpg   My House - Ideas for addition-addition_level_after__web_.jpg  
Old 02-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

I think I would try and build a hipped roof on that addition to make it look like it was built with the original house.

You could get a vaulted look in the bedroom ceiling, by running collar ties above the wall plates,and then build the rear ceiling to the front hip section.More of a coffered look.

Or you could build a shallower pitched gable on the addition and then run an overhang across the front, at the same level as the new roof ,to break to the height and have a hip like appearance.

If possible,step the second floor out from the first floor on the side , like the original house to break up the height.This would possibly take away from your garage size,but could improve the looks.

I wish I had a way to draw it up,but I don't have the software.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #14
Dufus Extrodinaire

How about this. I went back to a hip against what the wifey wanted. I'm sure she would understand the drama involved with gableing the front. Thing is there would be no vault ceiling in the bedroom since the roofline is so shallow.

Does it look right?
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-addition-ct3.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #15
Pro

Quote:
How about this. I went back to a hip against what the wifey wanted. I'm sure she would understand the drama involved with gableing the front. Thing is there would be no vault ceiling in the bedroom since the roofline is so shallow.

Does it look right?
That looks alot better. You would have to keep the main addition pitch the same as the existing pitch to flush the roof. Also, you have to put a cricket at the top of the entrance roof to shed the water.
Attached Thumbnails
My House - Ideas for addition-contarctor-talk-roof.jpg  
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

Quote:

Does it look right?
If you use the lower pitch roof line in your second pic, why can't you gable the front?

Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #17
General Contractor

Quote:

Does it look right?
What software did you use to make that drawing?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
Dufus Extrodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekw1 View Post
If you use the lower pitch roof line in your second pic, why can't you gable the front?

We had looked at that and felt that because the exsisting roof is shallow (6/12 - I think) it would look very odd with such a tall front wall.

Thanks Joe! I would assume the person drawing the plans would show the cricket and the framer would know it's required - but it is good for me to know before hand - so thank you.

I'll have to see about trying to do something in terms of vaulting the ceiling when I sit down with the planner. I'm sure there would be something that could be done that would be pleasing.

You guys are the best!
Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #19
Dufus Extrodinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
What software did you use to make that drawing?

I just used an imaging software - took a picture then copied it out in a line drawing with the software then adding colour/features

Program was PhotoImpact10 - real easy to use, great tools in it
Old 03-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #20
General Contractor

Quote:
I just used an imaging software - took a picture then copied it out in a line drawing with the software then adding colour/features

Program was PhotoImpact10 - real easy to use, great tools in it
Thanks BHR!

Advertisement