Kids Shop Projects - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Kids Shop Projects

Old 12-16-2014, 12:48 AM   #1
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,258

Kids Shop Projects

I have a string of boys growing up (oldest is 13) and I'd like to teach them some woodworking/construction skills. They're too young to legally be on the job with me, but I have a woodshop at home that they can work in. Problem is, what do I get them to make that doesn't sacrifice body parts to machinery and still looks like something usable? maybe even saleable? or at least not just junk? Does anyone have any suggestions of projects that they could build with minimal supervision? I'm nervous about letting them on a table saw just yet, but we have a bandsaw, belt sanders, finish nailers, hand tools, etc. thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,292

Re: Kids Shop Projects

My boy's were 6&7 when they started to come on the jobs.

They were 10'ish when Mom brought lunch one Saturday & caught the three of us running around on the roof...

She was not real happy...

About the same age they asked for the framing gun to add on to their tree fort.

As for the shop projects, it's going to take supervision & teaching basic hammering nails & using a screw gun. Watch out on the power tools, they aren't very forgiving.

Bird houses, small step benches, pen holders, simple boxes, box with a drawer..... etc...

Advertisement

Deckhead (12-18-2014), mikeswoods (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #3
Pro or somethin'...

oh I've had them on the job too when no one's looking. They outwork most of the highschool specials I've seen on jobsites. I start them on the skidsteer when they turn 6.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 02:04 AM   #4
Business Owner

Trade: Schluter Systems ASD, General Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
I have a string of boys growing up (oldest is 13) and I'd like to teach them some woodworking/construction skills. They're too young to legally be on the job with me, but I have a woodshop at home that they can work in. Problem is, what do I get them to make that doesn't sacrifice body parts to machinery and still looks like something usable? maybe even saleable? or at least not just junk? Does anyone have any suggestions of projects that they could build with minimal supervision? I'm nervous about letting them on a table saw just yet, but we have a bandsaw, belt sanders, finish nailers, hand tools, etc. thanks

Get them little rotary dremels, they are relatively safe IMHO? I think I got my first one when I was 4 or 5. Lots of projects they can be left alone on with those, also a lathe is another relatively safe machine that is fun to use.

I got my 3yr old nephew a set of bosch kids power tools at Costco for Christmas and am building him a kids size cabinetmakers style workbench to go with it, oh and of course a mini T-loc systainer lol. In a couple years I will be able to get him some real tools that he can actually build with, untill then it's just pretend hah...
Tylerwalker32 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 06:02 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Band saw boxes are simple and satisfying to build---

Simple clocks are another suggestion----

Wood carving is fun and does not involve power tools----
Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 33,888

Have them build their own tool box and with each tool they learn to use safely, add it to their box... have them buy the wood with their own money (extra work around the house, birthday, allowance if you do that, Christmas, etc.), and it will give them ownership...

Have them use tin to punch their initial or names on it, and frame it on each end...

Another is having them make gifts for others... jewelry box for Mom, Gma or sis or (eventually) girlfriend; around Christmas, have them make wooden toys to give to those in need putting the focus on others not just themselves; ornaments; stilts; go-kart; desk/chair; train whistle; tic-tac-toe board for car rides; multi-use double-sided checker/chess/chinese checkers board...

As they get older (and space permits) - workbench, bench-chest; their own bed and dresser (to take to college - think under-bed storage as well)...

Best of luck... love to hear posts like these... make some great memories... 8^)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
chris klee (12-16-2014), shanewreckd (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Ciaos mitigator

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,290

i was gonna say what was said above, have them make some tool boxes. i had the kids in my cub scout den make them last week as their project and everyone loved it. i obviously cut everything first but they glued and screwed it all together.
Have the older boys help cut the parts on the miter saw. set a stop and use the clamp and let them cut. let all the boys sand everything and they all can assemble them.
have them help make the jigs to cut the angles and the forsner bit hold for the handles even.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #8
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,534

My 9 year old girl wanted to make step stools for her cousins and little sister and brother.

She picked out a style, helped with making a cut list (I made her do all the math) she helped figure out how to get all the parts we needed from 3 random sized boards. She helped use the domino, clamps, fed my 24" planer, used the RAS, helped sand, prime, paint and provided tons of encouraging words.

Been a fun week of evenings in the shop with her. She has a couple more things she came up with, that she wants to do.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Chopsaw Chick (12-18-2014), Deckhead (12-18-2014), [email protected] (12-16-2014), KAP (12-17-2014), overanalyze (12-16-2014), shanewreckd (12-16-2014), Xtrememtnbiker (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarnerConstInc. View Post
My 9 year old girl wanted to make step stools for her cousins and little sister and brother.

She picked out a style, helped with making a cut list (I made her do all the math) she helped figure out how to get all the parts we needed from 3 random sized boards. She helped use the domino, clamps, fed my 24" planer, used the RAS, helped sand, prime, paint and provided tons of encouraging words.

Been a fun week of evenings in the shop with her. She has a couple more things she came up with, that she wants to do.
You should post some pictures of them Darcy.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #10
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 290

I grew up addicted to a 1952 edition of Popular Mechanic's, The Boy Mechanic. It had loads of projects suitable for kids of all different ages and lots of them were wood related. There are very old editions available for free online due to expired copyright but I bet you could score one of the editions from the mid 1900's for a reasonable price.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:09 PM   #11
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,342

Popular Mechanics was the coolest magazine. I picked up a milk crate of them at a thrift store in North Carolina once. They had an edition from 1950 that damn near 100% correctly predicted "The Home of The Future".

Anthill, do your boys skateboard?

http://rampplans.org/
Old 12-17-2014, 01:20 AM   #12
Pro or somethin'...

awesome ideas! keep em coming!
Old 12-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
Pro or somethin'...

I missed the skateboard part... no they don't really
Old 12-17-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 5,534

I thought I had taken a couple of her helping clamp everything together and sanding.

Painting them made her nervous. She did a pretty good job by the time the second coat came around.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WarnerConstInc. For This Useful Post:
Chopsaw Chick (12-18-2014), KAP (12-18-2014), MDjim (12-18-2014), mikeswoods (12-18-2014), Xtrememtnbiker (12-17-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,342

If you marketed those toward Grandmothers who need to get into cars, you could make a mint.

Have your girls go into production. I'll take two, one for each Grandma.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:39 PM   #16
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 13,776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
If you marketed those toward Grandmothers who need to get into cars, you could make a mint.

Have your girls go into production. I'll take two, one for each Grandma.
You still got 2 Grandma's who drive? Remind me not to go to Jersey.

As far as wood projects, my son is only 3 but I let him use the cordless drill, its a disaster but whatever, he was stoked he got four holes for wheels to go into a 2X6 pc of poplar today. When I was young my dad wanted me to learn how to use tools but first told me to work on understanding design and showed me drawings.

Then he overviewed my using of the power tools and let me completely up a lizard cage after everything was cut. Napkin holder was the first thing I built with any success. Then was a miniature soap box car (Florida... no hills).

Get them on the drill press and grab a couple 3/8" dowels. Couple small pieces of maple or poplar and a cherry 1X4. Drill the dowels into the 1X4 and the small pieces of maple on top. Tell them it needs to be square and let them have at it... looks good, no real dangerous equipment and teaches them fundamentals about carpentry.

Advertisement