How Often Do You Sharpen Blades? - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

How Often Do You Sharpen Blades?

Old 09-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,210

How Often Do You Sharpen Blades?

When is a good time to sharpen the blade on you miter saw? Let's say you were building 10 x 10 decks. How many of those can you build before you should sharpen your blade? 2? 3? 6? I'm thinking mine needs it.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #2
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 3,921

Re: How Often Do You Sharpen Blades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris G View Post
When is a good time to sharpen the blade on you miter saw? Let's say you were building 10 x 10 decks. How many of those can you build before you should sharpen your blade? 2? 3? 6? I'm thinking mine needs it.

If you think it needs it then it is time. Your blade should cut through the wood with little or no pressure. A dull blade is a dangerous one.

Advertisement

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 09-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

Honestly, I have never, ever had a blade sharpened. I toss them or give them to someone who does. I just don't think the sharpness holds as long as when you get a brand new one. I usually went through one blade a house framing. I'd say for decking, depending on the size of course, you'd be able to stretch it to 3 or 4, but like Leo says, if you think it might need it, it prolly does.

If it's chipping decent sized splinters on the backside, I'd say it's time. Nothing like a sharp blade to make your work look that much better.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

In the application of finish carpentry, my miter generally gets a new blade per house/project. Which would be hardwood crown for the full kitchen and other finish trim with the cabs. Then the rest of the trim for the house, like doors, crown, base, etc. I always just get a new blade, never sharpen.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
LRG WoodCrafting

You guys throw an awful lot of money away by buying new without resharpening. My 60 tooth 10" saw costs about $13 to sharpen, and it is as sharp as I bought it. Unless you are buying super inexpensive blades it seems to be more than worth it to have them resharpened. I buy a few blades before I get any of them sharpened. When I am down to my last, I bring a small pile of items in to be sharpened, including my router bits ($6ea). Well worth the money.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
The Duke

Trade: Cabinet Maker
Rewards Points: 2,040

no, they're super expensive ones, usually Tenryu's or Matsu****a's or Forrest's.

Unless I am missing the same guy you have, I can't get any sharpened around here for that price, not anyone I know, but we're in the same neighborhood roughly. I was sure it was something like $.50 a tooth and $2 for replacing a tooth.

My 12" I just bought for $65 for a 100 tooth. I usually buy Matsu****a's for my 7.25" worm drive and those are $20 delivered to my house. And my tablesaw blade came in at roughly $60.

SalmonFallsCabinetry.com

Salmon Falls Cabinetry on Facebook
Old 09-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
no, they're super expensive ones, usually Tenryu's or Matsu****a's or Forrest's.

Unless I am missing the same guy you have, I can't get any sharpened around here for that price, not anyone I know, but we're in the same neighborhood roughly. I was sure it was something like $.50 a tooth and $2 for replacing a tooth.

My 12" I just bought for $65 for a 100 tooth. I usually buy Matsu****a's for my 7.25" worm drive and those are $20 delivered to my house. And my tablesaw blade came in at roughly $60.

$.50/tooth x 60 teeth is $30, 1/2 the price of a new blade. Still worth it. The 12" sounds like a DeWalt sawblade price, not worth sharpening. My 12" Forrest ChopMaster was about $115, again, worth sharpening. Circular saw blades I just throw away. I use Valley Knife Machine out of w Springfield, Mass. for my sharpening services. They will pickup/drop off at my shop for a $3 charge per sharpening order.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
Al Smith

Trade: Home Improvement contractor since 1983, In building field since 1974, Licensed
Rewards Points: 1,000

now honestly. can you tell the difference between a piece of hardwood cut with a 60 dollar blade and a 115 dollar blade? . I haven't had a blade sharpened in 20 years. I used to take mine to Makrin Saw in old bridge but they are long gone. There was a time in my late twenties I used to sharpen and set my hand saws, but hell I haven't even used a decent hand saw in 15 years.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:24 PM   #9
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Smith View Post
now honestly. can you tell the difference between a piece of hardwood cut with a 60 dollar blade and a 115 dollar blade?

Yes, absolutely. If you are cutting 2x4's with it no. But if you are cutting hardwood crown or miters on something critical, absolutely, positively yes. I have the Hitachi 12" slider and it came with the generic blade, POS. I replaced it with a Forrest Chopmaster, what a difference, night and day. I use the original blade for daily hack cutting and switch over when I have to do fine craftsmanship work. I just received some blades back from sharpening, $14.50 for a 60 tooth blade (1/8" kerf Amana), well worth it.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 75

I read once: "Every shop should be equipped with a smoke detector. When it goes off, sharpen the blade."
Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post

If you want I can check with my father in law, he use to work for a company out of Saco or South Portland that offered pickup/delivery.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 9,676

What Leo G said...
I use Forrest on all my saws except the circular, which I clean every so often then throw away.
The debate on quality of cut has been going on for years. Time after time Forrest wins out, hands down.

― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Carpenter/fencing

Trade: Carpenter/Fence contractor
Rewards Points: 504

First only the person using the saw will know if the blade needs to be sharpened,and if you can't tell ,keep cutting you'll figure it out.(hey smells like something is burning).Second why on earth through away blades ? I save hundreds of dollars a year by sharpening the old ones and they cut just as good as if new.I drop a stack off on thursdays and pick up on following thursday.I've worked in cabinet shops for many years,once a week they sharpened there blades.Can you imagine the bill to buy 5-10 new 100t blades every week ? forgetaboutit
Old 11-04-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 3,982

I hardly ever use a mitre saw anymore, just a circular saw. I buy a new 40 carbide blade for each ipe deck. Doing cedar/redwood decks I could get at least a half dozen decks out of one blade.

Advertisement