How Much You Depend From Your Hand Tools? - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

How Much You Depend From Your Hand Tools?

Old 04-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Trade: Furnituremaker
Rewards Points: 252

How Much You Depend From Your Hand Tools?

Hi guys,
here a question for all of you carpenters,how much you think you depend from your hand tools and what place they have in your job life?do you treat all your hand tools like your babies or you abuse them?the old timers take care of all hand tools they had,they had the skill to sharpen them and adjust them,do you think in the modern world there is still place for this way of thinking?and for example,there is no power left in the world do you still think we can possess the skill and the knowledge to build something using only hand tools?personally hand tools have a big part in my daily life,and i really take care of them,to the point of obsession..in the school i learnt to fix adjust and sharpen them,and recently i was forced to use this skills,when i couldn't use any power tools for making a window for an old blacksmith shop from the 1600,using just all my moulding planes chisels and knives,this was the final result and i really appreciated the possibility to do something without hear the buzz of a machine..what is your experience?
Attached Thumbnails
how much you depend from your hand tools?-handplaned-window.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: How Much You Depend From Your Hand Tools?

Quote:
and for example,there is no power left in the world do you still think we can possess the skill and the knowledge to build something using only hand tools?
We ... as in the US, not really. Most like to think they could, but truly lack exposure and practical use of using hand tools from start to finish.Yet alone the knowledge to sharpen, repair and for that matter make tools.

IMHO What knowledge and experience that does exist comes form interest/hobby and military experience such as the US Navy Sea Bees. Those over 50 years old and worked in the trades may likely had some exposure. Not hand saws, but the art of mortising and even using hand planes for cabinetry and finish carpentry. Those much younger than 50, if there isn't a special tool or technology to make it go "easier" would loose their FKing minds having to use hand tools. LOL Screw drivers included. Another skill that takes some serious getting used to.

There are days I dream of using all manual tools. More muscle, more time to think, more human contact and basically enjoy the crafts.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
neilblue (05-06-2015), pappagor (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
There are days I dream of using all manual tools. More muscle, more time to think, more human contact and basically enjoy the crafts.
everything will take more time sure,but maybe like you said we would really enjoy the crafts and we will learn all to give to the word TIME a new meaning..sometimes i think is the right path to follow,doesn't take much,even in choosing to hand plane something or to use a handsaw sometimes i feel to be part of a kind of legacy like all of you guys..maybe now im becoming too sentimental!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #4
Lazy Millennial

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 648

They still make us use hand tools for the first few projects in the carpentry apprenticeship here. It's actually what caused my interest in using planes. As for nothing but hand tools to build a house...that would be tough.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngin' View Post
They still make us use hand tools for the first few projects in the carpentry apprenticeship here. It's actually what caused my interest in using planes. As for nothing but hand tools to build a house...that would be tough.
that is interesting..what kind of project do you do using hand tools?is the hand tools path just a small window in the entire programme or has actually importance..?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
Lazy Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickare85 View Post
that is interesting..what kind of project do you do using hand tools?is the hand tools path just a small window in the entire programme or has actually importance..?
It's a very small part at the start of the course. Its small projects. Sanding blocks, a bench block, and practicing on lengths of wood with different planes, bit and brace, chisels and the like. It does make you appreciate modern tools but there is a certain charm to the old hand tools.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
It's a very small part at the start of the course. Its small projects. Sanding blocks, a bench block, and practicing on lengths of wood with different planes, bit and brace, chisels and the like. It does make you appreciate modern tools but there is a certain charm to the old hand tools.
for sure evolution made a lot of things easier,but maybe we lost some other skills,that actually are quite important or that could have been important in some cases..that is actually a shame,even how to saw a plank correctly and square using a handsaw or how to sharpen it is becoming something difficult to see..
Old 04-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Lazy Millennial

They would give us rough sawn lumber and have us square and flatten it. We would lose a mark for each half millimeter it was out. One thing I noticed was that some guys in the program would complain about using hand tools, they just didn't get it. I enjoyed learning to use them but I'm in it for more than the paycheque, they're not.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:15 PM   #9

Quote:
One thing I noticed was that some guys in the program would complain about using hand tools, they just didn't get it. I enjoyed learning to use them but I'm in it for more than the paycheque, they're not.
this is really a shame for a carpenter..having the possibility to learn something and let that possibility disappear..really not so smart..nice to hear from you that you have interest in hand tools..do you have a small collection of moulding planes or anything else for example?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #10
Pro

Never lost the interest in using hand planes or many of the basic hand tools for that matter.

These go with me everywhere I go and get used. Nothing expensive for "work". Loosing a $100 chisel or plane at a job site is inane. They work just as fine in the shop too. Sharpening and honing are part of using the tools. Other wise they are just blue print weights or screw drivers (plane and chisels).

Edit - AND NOBODY uses "MY" chisels. Until you know what it takes to actually sharpen after putting a deep nick in one...
Attached Thumbnails
how much you depend from your hand tools?-hand.jpg   how much you depend from your hand tools?-handuse.jpg  

Last edited by Texas Wax; 04-25-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Sharpening and honing are part of using the tools. Other wise they are just blue print weights or screw drivers (plane and chisels).

HOLY WORDS!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snickare85 For This Useful Post:
Texas Wax (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #12
Lazy Millennial

I don't have a collection yet, I've been busy acquiring more practical tools I use every day for framing and finishing. Eventually I'll start buying more hand tools for small projects at home.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 565

I don't know. I have a 6 for my decades and it ain't a zero following it.

I'm frequently amused when someone is installing just one or two slab doors. You see them break out their templates, grab a router, after marking and then start.

Sometimes, I have one done, using chisel(s), before they're even set up and routing.

If there's four(plus) doors, I'm doing the same thing .... but for one?

Interesting ... in the TBA thread there's all of this stuff for coping. I know a guy, much much younger than I who can clamp the crown, go to work with his coping saw (hand of course) and have that sucker coped by the time I've finished digging out my jigsaw.

He's good. Rarely does he need any sanding or filing. When he's done, it's ready to hang.

There's a place, but I've lost most of my skills. Just too bloody spoiled by the latest and greatest. Even though, sometimes they may be the latest, but nowhere close to the greatest.

Last edited by Lanya LaPunta; 04-25-2015 at 03:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanya LaPunta For This Useful Post:
pappagor (04-25-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
Hack

Rewards Points: 148

I don't depend on them, but utilize them where I can when all else fails.
I see the value in acquiring the skills though, and have invested in a collection for use at home for woodworking.... Which I should really get around to starting at some point :-D
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #15

nice to know that there is still a place for old tools and techniques in our super fast new world..sometimes i think what the old carpenters will think if they could work one day in our times..
Old 04-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanya LaPunta View Post
=

I'm frequently amused when someone is installing just one or two slab doors. You see them break out their templates, grab a router, after marking and then start.

Sometimes, I have one done, using chisel(s), before they're even set up and routing.

If there's four(plus) doors, I'm doing the same thing .... but for one?

Interesting ... in the TBA thread there's all of this stuff for coping. I know a guy, much much younger than I who can clamp the crown, go to work with his coping saw (hand of course) and have that sucker coped by the time I've finished digging out my jigsaw.

He's good. Rarely does he need any sanding or filing. When he's done, it's ready to hang.
1000% agree with hanging doors.

Geting the cope right the first time is all the fun in coping

Fix'n to start oldest son - the 6th generation carpenter/cabinetmaker/contractor down the sawdust filled path to glory in a week. Have to see how he takes to using hand tools, sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Wax For This Useful Post:
hdavis (04-26-2015)
Old 04-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

i did 2 homes in 1965 1966 without no power tools my grand dad would never let power on the job until the home was done.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappagor View Post
i did 2 homes in 1965 1966 without no power tools my grand dad would never let power on the job until the home was done.
that must have been quite a lesson..
Old 04-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Finishing Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,116

I love putting a polished edge onto a chisel/block plane. But for jobsite use it only seems to last a week.

I let an electrician borrow a chisel of mine I had just sharpened. He hit a spike and took a 1/8" chunk out of it
Old 04-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
I love putting a polished edge onto a chisel/block plane. But for jobsite use it only seems to last a week.

I let an electrician borrow a chisel of mine I had just sharpened. He hit a spike and took a 1/8" chunk out of it
first rule of carpentry:NEVER EVER let someone else borrow one of your tools. no one else will ever have the same caution in using your tools than yourself..

Advertisement