Do You Wear Hearing Protection? - Page 5 - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Do You Wear Hearing Protection?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #81
Pro
 
instock's Avatar
 
Trade: Handyman
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 305
Rewards Points: 525

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


When I took my chainsaw certification class, they pointed out that noise is a big contributor to fatigue. Fatigue is no fun. And it contributes to other kinds of accidents.

I have trouble wrapping my brain around the long-term cummulative damage thing, but fatigue is something I can understand!

I find the plugs to be too annoying to insert, wear, and store. I just slap on earmuffs.
instock is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #82
Captian Martini
 
Stange's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prior Lake, MN
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Earmuffs with FM radio. Funny when the homeowner catches you singing along.
Stange is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #83
Pro
 
J F's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: North of Atlanta
Posts: 9,058
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Hey Strange...did you post an intro? And you may want to add a name to a "signature" so we know what to call you.
J F is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #84
Captian Martini
 
Stange's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prior Lake, MN
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


I did post an intro a while back. I will fill out a signature right away. lol
Stange is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #85
Every now and then poster
 
ohiohomedoctor's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 13,436
Rewards Points: 3,544

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Lol sob
ohiohomedoctor is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #86
Member
 
RAbraker's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry/Basements/Decks
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boulder, CO
Posts: 72
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


In the last 6 months, I've become a hearing protection convert. All day every day, I've either got plugs in or muffs on, depending on the task. Unless I'm doing something silent, like caulking.

I think it really annoyed my coworker at first, but now he's wearing them more and more too. Maybe we'll both be able to still hear in 30 years.
RAbraker is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:14 PM   #87
designer + carpenter
 
NINZAN STUDIO's Avatar
 
Trade: carpentry
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 556
Rewards Points: 510

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Same here. I'm constantly telling coworkers to put on their ear muffs or plugs. The worst sound for me is the shriek of a metal studs chop saw...it kills.
NINZAN STUDIO is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #88
KemoSabe
 
loneframer's Avatar
 
Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vineland, New Jersey
Posts: 14,233
Rewards Points: 12,218

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


You guys know that ringing sound a sawblade makes when it leaves the cut? Well I hardly remember it now, because I can't hear it over the ringing in my ears.

Oh, wait, it's the same sound, only I hear it 24/7.

Ear protection is highly recommended by me.
__________________
__________________________________




"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"




__________________________________
loneframer is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #89
Pro
 
r4r&r's Avatar
 
Trade: Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Richardson, Tx
Posts: 1,182
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Well damn I thought they just had some new trick they were using that stopped them from doing that nowadays.
r4r&r is offline  
Old 11-19-2012, 11:10 PM   #90
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 41,129
Rewards Points: 1,259

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
You guys know that ringing sound a sawblade makes when it leaves the cut? Well I hardly remember it now, because I can't hear it over the ringing in my ears.

Oh, wait, it's the same sound, only I hear it 24/7.

Ear protection is highly recommended by me.
Buy better saw blades.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:14 AM   #91
Pro
 
Dirtywhiteboy's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Honolulu Oahu,Hawaii
Posts: 15,683
Rewards Points: 11,886

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
Hey Strange...did you post an intro? And you may want to add a name to a "signature" so we know what to call you.
I just call em by their handle HOWSIT Stange
__________________
I Have Done So Much With So Little For So Long, I Can Do Almost Anything With Nothing Now
Dirtywhiteboy is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 06:16 AM   #92
KemoSabe
 
loneframer's Avatar
 
Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vineland, New Jersey
Posts: 14,233
Rewards Points: 12,218

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
Buy better saw blades.
Never ran a framing crew, huh?

I can't say that I've personally put more than a $15 blade on a wormdrive saw. If I'm the only guy using it, I'll get a complete custom home with a hand cut roof out of it. The blade goes on the saw at the beginning of rafter cutting on every house.

Put that saw in the hands of a four man crew and I might have to change blades every few days.

The worst offense I can remember is a guy who dropped a sheet of sheathing on the ground, grabbed a saw with the blade set full depth and tried to rip 1/2" ply on beach sand. I doubt a better blade would've finished the cut any quicker.

Hearing protection is still highly recommended regardless of blade cost.
__________________
__________________________________




"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"




__________________________________
loneframer is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #93
Captian Martini
 
Stange's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Prior Lake, MN
Posts: 17
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtywhiteboy

I just call em by their handle HOWSIT Stange
It's good. Thanks for asking!
Stange is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #94
LRG WoodCrafting

 
Leo G's Avatar
 
Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Windsor Locks, Connecticut
Posts: 41,129
Rewards Points: 1,259

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
Never ran a framing crew, huh?

I can't say that I've personally put more than a $15 blade on a wormdrive saw. If I'm the only guy using it, I'll get a complete custom home with a hand cut roof out of it. The blade goes on the saw at the beginning of rafter cutting on every house.

Put that saw in the hands of a four man crew and I might have to change blades every few days.

The worst offense I can remember is a guy who dropped a sheet of sheathing on the ground, grabbed a saw with the blade set full depth and tried to rip 1/2" ply on beach sand. I doubt a better blade would've finished the cut any quicker.

Hearing protection is still highly recommended regardless of blade cost.
They have anti-sing blades.
__________________
Sawdust Follows Me Everywhere
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
Sanding is the bane of my existence
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Leo G is online now  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #95
Pro
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Trade: Electrical Apprentice and Data Technician.
Join Date: May 2010
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,295
Rewards Points: 1,208

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Here in NZ people would be looking at you like you were an idiot not using earmuffs or plugs with saws, hammer drills and PATs at the very minimum. Im glad its become a habit for everyone here, most guys have muffs on their hardhats.
chewy is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:24 AM   #96
I'm a Mac
 
Chris Johnson's Avatar
 
Trade: ICF Construction
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hog Town
Posts: 5,487
Rewards Points: 4,254

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


People always said I have selective hearing, then i went for my A license in '04 and failed...the hearing part!

It's only my left ear, doctor attributed it to smoking. Yes smoking...I drive with the window open about an inch and that whistling noise caused the problem.

So for all you smokers wear hearing protection when driving...everyone else when using tools
__________________
Chris
Chris Johnson is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #97
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,857
Rewards Points: 4,436

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
People always said I have selective hearing, then i went for my A license in '04 and failed...the hearing part!

It's only my left ear, doctor attributed it to smoking. Yes smoking...I drive with the window open about an inch and that whistling noise caused the problem.

So for all you smokers wear hearing protection when driving...everyone else when using tools
So it is healthier to smoke with the windows up?
__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #98
Pro
 
aptpupil's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: oakland, ca
Posts: 2,643
Rewards Points: 1,894

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post
So it is healthier to smoke with the windows up?
...for your ears.
it gets you no matter what, i guess.
aptpupil is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #99
KemoSabe
 
loneframer's Avatar
 
Trade: residential framing/siding/general carpentry
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vineland, New Jersey
Posts: 14,233
Rewards Points: 12,218

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
They have anti-sing blades.
For the first 9 years of framing, tool/blade acquisitions were not my responsibility. I was an employee that had to pull teeth to get any blade with a complete set of teeth on it. I'd not have known any different anyway.

As an employer, I always had sharp blades on all saws, but was at the mercy of local retailers and store stock....

It's framing for Pete's sake.

So what do you recommend for someone who already suffers from Tinitis and nerve deafness? I hear you talking, but I don't understand what you're saying...
__________________
__________________________________




"Walking the fine line between production and perfection"




__________________________________
loneframer is offline  
Old 11-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #100
Contractor of the Month
 
Inner10's Avatar
 
Trade: Control Systems
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 25,857
Rewards Points: 4,436

Re: Do You Wear Hearing Protection?


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
For the first 9 years of framing, tool/blade acquisitions were not my responsibility. I was an employee that had to pull teeth to get any blade with a complete set of teeth on it. I'd not have known any different anyway.

As an employer, I always had sharp blades on all saws, but was at the mercy of local retailers and store stock....

It's framing for Pete's sake.

So what do you recommend for someone who already suffers from Tinitis and nerve deafness? I hear you talking, but I don't understand what you're saying...
A bullet to the head should fix ya right up.

Advertisement

__________________
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post: Leo G
Inner10 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Inner10 For This Useful Post:
loneframer (11-20-2012)


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I wear my safety glasses at night! B.K Carpentry 29 08-02-2009 04:39 AM
Good hearing protection Chris G Tools & Equipment 12 04-04-2009 05:49 PM
Painters wear boots and you gotta believe me slickshift Painting & Finish Work 29 12-21-2007 08:09 PM
Always wear head protection mickeyco Health & Safety 9 06-10-2007 08:21 AM
Hearing Protection denick Excavation & Site Work 9 04-23-2006 08:44 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?