Corian Counter For Pass Through - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Corian Counter For Pass Through

Old 10-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 76

Corian Counter For Pass Through

Hey fellas, I have a customer that that wanted a pass though in their kitchen to the dining room. It's all framed up, sheetrocked etc..., I was going to build a nice cherry bar top but now they want Corian and I have never worked with Corian. It's a 2x4 studded wall with sheetrock so width is 4.5", how would I attach a 12" wide piece of Corian securely? Glue and pin when I case the inside of the pass through, wooden corbels, brackets? Any ideas or solutions would be appreciated, thanks, Anthony.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Builder/Renovator
Rewards Points: 80

Re: Corian Counter For Pass Through

I would have a metal plate fabricated that screws into the wall and then glue the solid surface to the plate. There may be some OTS products for supporting counter overhangs.

Advertisement

Old 10-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,730

Don't overthink it... no pinning necessary.... be sure bottom has strip of wood or MDF from edge to edge seated in Corian glue and then liquid nails between bottom and surface...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Carpentry and Cabinet Making
Rewards Points: 186

Don't pin it, it'll likely crack later. If I was doing this I'd rip a piece of 2X stock to extend the glue surface out a little further and then I'd dress it out in crown for a finished look underneath or something like that. Also, are you just leaving the solid surface at 1/2" or building it up to 1 and half or something like that? Edge build ups really add strength to the countertop. Just use silicone to glue down the solid surface. No fasteners and make sure you leave a little room for expansion and contraction (cover that space with trim. Also, no square inside corners, make sure you radius them (cracks start at square inside corners). Solid surface is a really neat product and is a lot of fun to work with once you get familiar with the basic principles of fabricating it. Let me know if you have any questions. I have done a lot of this kind of stuff for commercial customers.
Thanks,
Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by Cubwelder; 10-09-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:33 AM   #5

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 76

Cubwelder, couple questions since I've never worked with this stuff...when you say build up the edges what do you mean? Also, how do you cut corian cleanly? thanks, anthony
Old 10-10-2014, 07:38 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 35,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Finelli View Post
Cubwelder, couple questions since I've never worked with this stuff...when you say build up the edges what do you mean? Also, how do you cut corian cleanly? thanks, anthony
Standard edges are typically 1 1/2" thick, which requires layering three pieces... the top itself and then two more strips stacked, as the material is 1/2" thick and which are typically 1 1/2"-2" deep. You have to use color-coordinated Corian glue and spring clamps every 4-6" or you will see the seams. The glue squeeze out will dry quickly and the edge will be cleaned with a router with a straight-edge clamped to the top a 1/6" behind the edge (be sure to account for this in coming up with your size). Before gluing make sure you clean it all with denatured alcohol to get rid of any impurities...

You can cut Corian sheets with an 80-tooth blade made for plastics or router... do NOT use a circular or jig-saw... you will end up with cracks and/or splits because of the vibration...

After you cut the main top and then your strips... clamp it all in place, lining it up, and then take a craft glue gun and glue blocks down with the pointed edge against the back of the strip. When you go to use the Corian glue (applied liberally and completely coating where you are placing the strips to avoid any voids), now you have something to line the strips up against. After glue is dry, spray denatured alcohol at the base of the blocks targeting the glue (note - this is NOT Corian glue)... tap with a mallet and they will pop right off...

If you don't have the tooling and materials for this, you are better off finding a Certified Corian fabricator to bang this out for you... it will cost far less than getting up and running for a one-off...

Best of luck... 8^)

P.S. - there's LOTS of videos on youtube if you want to SEE the above in action...
Old 10-10-2014, 07:56 AM   #7
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 15,319

What thickness of Corian are you planning. If it's 3/4 then you build a platform that gets secured in the opening (by whatever means) and then you glue the Corian to it.

If it's the really thin sheets, 1/4" then you do the same thing but you need to build another to wrap and glue the Corian around. Then you can just screw into the substrate that you secured the veneer Corian to.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 10-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpentry and Cabinet Making
Rewards Points: 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Finelli View Post
KAP covered the process really well. I do things a little different because most of the stuff I make is in high quantities of the same parts. Basically, this stuff is a whole different animal than wood and most suppliers won't sell it to you unless you are certified by the manufacturer (has to do with warranties). The equipment can be a bit expensive if you don't do this a lot. Just the sanding and polishing stuff is kind of pricey.

With what you are looking to do I'd just go to a local countertop fabricator and have them fabricate the small top for you. If you want to learn the process, find a small shop and ask if you can work with them on the first one.

The coolest thing about solid surface is how the seams just disappear when using the color matched glue. You can do some really neat stuff with it. I have heated it and bent it to make curved surfaces for commercial jobs and I routinely do coved backsplashes and such.

-Dan
Attached Images

Advertisement