Construction Schooling Or Construction Apprenticeship? - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Construction Schooling Or Construction Apprenticeship?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Just a question for you contractors out there...Is it necessary to go through an apprenticeship for 4 or 5 years or do you think workers with something like a technical diploma in construction would suffice? I've been debating on where I should further my education. I can get into an apprenticeship and learn a lot over 4 or 5 years, or I can go to school for a year and actually work on stuff out there, then go out and find a job right away and go from there. I really love taking pride in my work, but I also don't mind making a few bucks. My goal would be becoming my own contractor and doing my own jobs. Thoughts on a better route? And no this is not battle of the Union/Non-Union

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #2
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 6,114

Re: Construction Schooling Or Construction Apprenticeship?

Quote:
BOTH!

2 years in school to learn what a hammer or screwdriver does and do differently - and 2 years in the field so the boss can teach you how to use them effectively.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (04-09-2013), Brutus (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
Nail-Bender

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post
BOTH!

2 years in school to learn what a hammer or screwdriver does and do differently - and 2 years in the field so the boss can teach you how to use them effectively.
I did it this way.

You learn a bunch of different things in the school

Furniture, cabinets, trim, framing, concrete, drywall, siding, roofing.... everything.

From there, you will know what you like best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Thanks guys, well I have experience in all that stuff pretty much already. But that does sound like a good idea. I go to a college right now, and i'm looking at switching to the Construction Technical Diploma. Its only about a year long but it goes through everything with on-site work. Then maybe the apprenticeship after that? I supposed I could go pretty far with both of them
Old 04-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Different phrases of construction
Rewards Points: 250

skip school fin the best buildr in your area and get a jb with him if yoo know nothing now aproach him an tel hi you work for min wage for 6 month work yor as off if he say no help need rite now, keep checkin back

don not was tim an money on school buy toools buy th bess you can afford

buy everyconstruction book yoo can when not wrking read read read think abou it all 24/8

th money can come latre it canbe a profesion not a job but is be you who make it a professon or you who make it just a job

the box is in yor court
Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenke View Post
Thanks guys, well I have experience in all that stuff pretty much already. But that does sound like a good idea. I go to a college right now, and i'm looking at switching to the Construction Technical Diploma. Its only about a year long but it goes through everything with on-site work. Then maybe the apprenticeship after that? I supposed I could go pretty far with both of them

drop out an go towork dont give scool anothr penny
Old 04-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,894

School to start is nice too because you can be slow and not waste anyone's money. You can talk to contractors (teachers) about problems or how to approach certain details and they'll be more likely to take the time to show you everything you need to learn.

It also helps because then when you're a helper you have a leg up on the other helpers. You'll have a baseline of knowledge on codes and best practices. Then the info you get will stick better because you've already been introduced to it before.

How long in the school is up to you. Start with a year and see how you like it. Sometimes trade schools are a good place to meet like-minded contractors who are brushing up on a weak area in their knowledge, so you may kill two birds with one stone.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
School to start is nice too because you can be slow and not waste anyone's money. You can talk to contractors (teachers) about problems or how to approach certain details and they'll be more likely to take the time to show you everything you need to learn.

It also helps because then when you're a helper you have a leg up on the other helpers. You'll have a baseline of knowledge on codes and best practices. Then the info you get will stick better because you've already been introduced to it before.

How long in the school is up to you. Start with a year and see how you like it. Sometimes trade schools are a good place to meet like-minded contractors who are brushing up on a weak area in their knowledge, so you may kill two birds with one stone.
True. The instructor for the program at my school is also a graduate of the construction program at a very well known college in all of the midwest. I was already a helper for awhile at a construction company, and i've been doing construction on and off since I was about 10, so about 10 years now. I've actually been studying construction since I was that age too lol just love this stuff
Old 04-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Commercial work.

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 12

Apprenticeship does both schooling and on-site, and it doesn't cost you any money up front. If you find your not getting any satisfaction working on site and you want more school time than you can always sign up for school and take classes there.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

Trade: General Carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

I got lucky and worked for a great contractor with extremely talented Carpenters that I learned ALOT from,and I read every book,magazine and blog I could get My hands on and still do. Tech school isn't a bad idea,but nothing beats hands-on experience with a good crew. If You plan on owning Your company,I'd skip the tech school and go to business school. And try to get a job with the best company You can find and learn the trade there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fishhook For This Useful Post:
Mavis Leonard (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhook View Post
I got lucky and worked for a great contractor with extremely talented Carpenters that I learned ALOT from,and I read every book,magazine and blog I could get My hands on and still do. Tech school isn't a bad idea,but nothing beats hands-on experience with a good crew. If You plan on owning Your company,I'd skip the tech school and go to business school. And try to get a job with the best company You can find and learn the trade there.
my thoughts essentilly find the best an go to wrk for him turn off tv ta night buy books trade magazines reaad consantly

self educate the material is out ther f

mak it a profssion not a job

her is antothr idea find out wht texbook the trad schools using for what classes go buy the books study th materialon yor own buy the techer eddition of book with anserws tess yourself
Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavis Leonard View Post
my thoughts essentilly find the best an go to wrk for him turn off tv ta night buy books trade magazines reaad consantly

self educate the material is out ther f

mak it a profssion not a job

her is antothr idea find out wht texbook the trad schools using for what classes go buy the books study th materialon yor own buy the techer eddition of book with anserws tess yourself
Yeah thats true too at the same time. I was in the Architectural Design/Construction Technology program at my school and the whole time I sat looking like this because I knew all the construction stuff he was talking about.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to dhenke For This Useful Post:
Mavis Leonard (04-09-2013)