Constructing A Ramp In A Church - Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Constructing A Ramp In A Church

Old 11-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 1,098

Constructing A Ramp In A Church

I've been doing a lot of research and stil have questions-all though it may not be the same everywhere based on your local, is a church building with a ramp leading to a 'stage' needing to comply with the IRC or ADA requirements? that would either 1:8 or 1:12 slope, correct? the church wants a short temporary ramp that would be easy to move; rise is 22" and the length might be 10' giving a slope of 1:5 to 1:6 depending on length. I'm thinking this could be dangerous having such a steep slope even if it only transverses two steps.

does anyone know what requriements are in place for 'stage' areas? thanks for the feedback.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #2
JumboJack for president!

Trade: Hilti walking billboard
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Constructing A Ramp In A Church

I know ADA requires every inch of rise equals a foot of run. 22" rise needs to be 22' of ramp. Might be able to get away with a suitcase ramp or some kind of alumi-ramp.

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

If it is a public building , defined as anything but a private residence, the only way to cover your butt is to build the legal 1:12 ADA compliant ramp, or no ramp at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Curmudgeon

Trade: carpentry/remodeling/"Yes M'am we do"
Location: Beech Grove, Indiana, Birthplace of the "King of Cool"
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
I've been doing a lot of research and stil have questions-all though it may not be the same everywhere based on your local, is a church building with a ramp leading to a 'stage' needing to comply with the IRC or ADA requirements? that would either 1:8 or 1:12 slope, correct? the church wants a short temporary ramp that would be easy to move; rise is 22" and the length might be 10' giving a slope of 1:5 to 1:6 depending on length. I'm thinking this could be dangerous having such a steep slope even if it only transverses two steps.
does anyone know what requriements are in place for 'stage' areas? thanks for the feedback.
http://www.access-board.gov/ufas/ufas-html/ufas.htm#4.8
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
Contractor

thanks neo; 4.33.5 describes my situation:

4.33.5 ACCESS TO PERFORMING AREAS. An accessible route shall connect wheelchair seating locations with performing areas, including stages, arena floors, dressing rooms, locker rooms, and other spaces used by performers.

will provide the board w/ feedback after getting a final decision by the city planner.
thanks
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #6
Contractor

according to the town planning office, if the church builds a ramp leading from the seating area to the stage, it must be a minimum of 1:12 incline.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:56 AM   #7
Soon to be senile

Trade: Remodel and repair
Rewards Points: 150

Lets see if I remember all this right. If it's not public access and can be removed when not in use, you can basically do pretty much anything in the train of thought that it applys for loading and unloading only (leaving it unattended and open for accidential use is legally unwise though the skateboarders will love you). For public access, it's as stated, 1:12, minimum 48" width, no runs longer than 25 or 30 feet (can't remember which) without a 5'x5' landing or turn around and continuous handrails between 28" and 36" (depending upon state). I've found (in the handful of applications I've done) that anything above 3:12 is not very user friendly for loading (even 3:12 is a bit of a pain if rolling something heavy).
Old 11-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,114

Chevy the church is also considered an A-3 so it would be governed in the IBC 2006 under chapter 10 means of egress
Old 11-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #9
Contractor

Shamrock, the 'public access' was what was of initial concern. I.e., is the entire sanctuary 'public access' or just the seating area and not the staged area in the front of the sanctuary. I could imagine a 3:12 would be pretty hard to push heavy equipment up.

Tom, could you elaborate on the rating, I'm unfamiliar with A-3 or any other A's.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Soon to be senile

Trade: Remodel and repair
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Shamrock, the 'public access' was what was of initial concern. I.e., is the entire sanctuary 'public access' or just the seating area and not the staged area in the front of the sanctuary. I could imagine a 3:12 would be pretty hard to push heavy equipment up.

Tom, could you elaborate on the rating, I'm unfamiliar with A-3 or any other A's.
We have one at our church which I put together strictly for getting equipment up to the stage. Supposidly it was going to be moved to the back of stage when not in use....yeah...right. The darn thing is there 24/7 it seems. From a legal standpoint, we're definitely not perfect but it's intended use is also clearly not for handicapped access..or even regular access (again, everyone uses it for that). The building inspector (one of our church members) didn't much care one way or the other since it didn't fall under handicapped use. More than anything it seems to fall to a possible civil problem if someone was to accidentially get hurt using the ramp (you know..spill McDonalds hot coffee on themselves while walking up or down the thing). I'd say make the thing and tip it on it's side against the wall when not needed and then bar all attorneys from the church.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:41 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Building and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,242

Why not just go with an electric wheelchair lift?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 3,114

Quote:
The IRC is for one and two family homes. A church could be a house but it is a public assembly A-3. This becomes building codes for IBC. There are various areas the code is modified by use. An "A-1" for example is a movie theatre that can hold many people in an organized seating arrangment, an "A-2" could be a resturante that can hold many people as well but tables and chair become obsticles. Stadiums and so on. Chapter 10 is means of egrees that criteria for door, ramps or whatever exit passage is governed.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Contractor

Shamrock-my initial gripe about makeing a 'temporary' ramp was that it would never be taken down except maybe 3-4 times/year. My solution was to paint it bright orange and red-if enough of an eye sore...

Jon-the lift was always the idea, but cost was around 5 grand for a small vertical lift. I got 'lucky' and found one used from an estate sale for $1250!

Thanks for the clarification Tom.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,958

Permanent or temporary, if the transition to the ramp is not very, very smooth it is worthles from a practical standpoint.

For foot traffic a large transition is not a major problem except for tripping.

For wheel chairs, a 1/4" - 3/8" can be a monumental barrier.

The definition of a smooth transition depends on whether/why you need a ramp or just build them.

Advertisement

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.