Nola In The Rears! - HVAC Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Nola In The Rears!

Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 25

Nola In The Rears!

The client spent 42,000$ on a 48'x8 I'd walk in, a dairy case, two, 4 door reach ins and two 14' deli cases...
What came was a cardboard blueprint, open end cut, used walk in panels from 3 different coolers, basic r22 reach in's, a conglomeration of deli case, shelf, and custom end caps.
The supplier also included all condensers, that ran on a totally different freon with no new expansion valves for the new coolant. We priced the whole thing new at around 46,000$....

I guess it keeps us on our toes...
Attached Thumbnails
Nola in the rears!-image-2809589167.jpg   Nola in the rears!-image-3187781851.jpg   Nola in the rears!-image-2604759693.jpg   Nola in the rears!-image-2419965575.jpg   Nola in the rears!-image-450931674.jpg  

Nola in the rears!-image-129348654.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Re: Nola In The Rears!

But they saved $4k by buying their own materials

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Yeah! Lol! The instal is going to eat that up and more... We looked at the sales receipt and found that the company had sold all this stuff to them under a "everything you need to get them working" assumption. When we totaled the necessary valves and other misc. parts, it equaled 2,600.
Client was livid, called and was told the parts couldn't be more than 1,100. But the company didn't sell them. Sale "as is"!
So the client insists on getting it himself. And gets a list from us. A call; a great quote; a two hour drive; a total of just over $2,800 when it all rings up. Client comes back empty handed.
Day 3: client goes local, chasing a low quote. Has the guy call us asking questions about the parts we need... :/ We were very specific. Client comes back with a few bags of stuff... First thing we pull out are residential thermostats that were for the two walk-ins! You gotta be kidding! Needless to say, after a week of this, the guy finally tells us to get what's needed.
It's been this way the whole job. They chase the golden goose and blame us that it takes so long.
Then after all is close to completion, they tell is they are anxious to have us set up another store a mile or so away...
I must be missing something here. That or my brain refuses to complete the logic process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
The Dude

Trade: home improvement
Rewards Points: 1,946

Wait - the $46k for the new system you quoted was installed? THAT would be funny

I hate working for customers like that. They are ALWAYS the whiners. Why is it taking so long? Why is the install cost so high? Can't you just make this work with the residential thermostat - oh, but it's got to be covered under your warranty too!

I hope you charge them a PITA fee.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #5

~UPDATE~

Last week, it all came together, then to a head! All the refer boxes fired up and made temp on expected time. Client walk through went well. Smiles all around!

... Then came the time for them to pay-up...

They handed us a check that was short by half of what was owed. They cited their time and expense in chasing down parts missing from the previous post, and material and labor for the electrician that had to run the circuits to the equipment. Their excuse was that their sparky installed an exterior panel to the condenser area and we were responsible for running the individual circuits to each unit. Our contract specifically states that they are responsible for all electric except final hook up to the units.
Tempers flared and meaty a**holes flexed. They wouldn't budge. Fine! We leave.
Now they are trying to get the city inspection done. They were told they can't get the inspection unless we call it in...
What to do, what to do? That was on the 25th. Today they call again wanting us to get the final set up. No they won't pay up.
Mind that the amount they shorted us equals about 25% of the total. Mind that we will fix the leak and call for the final insp. if they pay. They, however, insist that they will not pay a dollar more.
So, I ask you all, what would YOU do?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: interior remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,664

Lawyer up and start the fight---logic won't work---so......time for the pros--
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeswoods For This Useful Post:
Atticus Finch (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #7
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 412

No Good Deed Goes Un-Punished!!!!

I dont feel sorry for them at all. They played the game, lost and now want you to bail them out.

Intent to lien then perfect it. People like this should learn a lesson about responsibility.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevjob For This Useful Post:
skcolo (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
Electrical Punk...

Trade: Master Electrician
Rewards Points: 572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
~UPDATE~

Last week, it all came together, then to a head! All the refer boxes fired up and made temp on expected time. Client walk through went well. Smiles all around!

... Then came the time for them to pay-up...

They handed us a check that was short by half of what was owed. They cited their time and expense in chasing down parts missing from the previous post, and material and labor for the electrician that had to run the circuits to the equipment. Their excuse was that their sparky installed an exterior panel to the condenser area and we were responsible for running the individual circuits to each unit. Our contract specifically states that they are responsible for all electric except final hook up to the units.
Tempers flared and meaty a**holes flexed. They wouldn't budge. Fine! We leave.
Now they are trying to get the city inspection done. They were told they can't get the inspection unless we call it in...
What to do, what to do? That was on the 25th. Today they call again wanting us to get the final set up. No they won't pay up.
Mind that the amount they shorted us equals about 25% of the total. Mind that we will fix the leak and call for the final insp. if they pay. They, however, insist that they will not pay a dollar more.
So, I ask you all, what would YOU do?

Do not get the final till you have all the cash in hand,They cannot open without it..

Dirt bags..
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,682

Stick to your plan..no final pay..no final inspection. It will cost him way more to bring someone else on board. Get your lawyer to write a letter on his letterhead..lets him know you are not a pushover. Let us know how it ends up. Good luck..I hate people like him.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #10

Have to update this, late as it is...

Store is running off no permit. And haven't been caught. It's a big city...

Through cultural connections, the client actually steered more business our way....

Sandy wiped out the clients whole NY area retail centers....

Clients gained from his referral are paying their bills reasonably.

I'm baffled, and therefore enlightened...

.... Now if I could just find that number to that truck driving school...

Advertisement