Why Basement Is Leaking? - Remodeling Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Why Basement Is Leaking?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Basement Waterproofing NJ

Trade: Basement Waterproofing
Rewards Points: 10

Why Basement Is Leaking?

Basements have been plagued by various types of water issues for many years. In the leaking problem, water may slip in through unbelievable opening, such as walls, floor, or joints between them. Now and again water may even pass from side to side concrete, and many make basement awfully dumb.

So my question is what should I do in this condition.

Thanks
Green

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

Re: Why Basement Is Leaking?

Isn't your trade basement waterproofing?

Advertisement

Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CENTERLINE MV For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (03-14-2013), BCConstruction (03-14-2013), concretemasonry (03-21-2013), Mavis Leonard (03-17-2013), TAHomeRepairs (03-18-2013)
Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Historic Exterior Painter
Rewards Points: 150

Deja Vu !
The Following User Says Thank You to joethepainter For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 96

Call a waterproofing company.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDavis View Post
Basements have been plagued by various types of water issues for many years. In the leaking problem, water may slip in through unbelievable opening, such as walls, floor, or joints between them. Now and again water may even pass from side to side concrete, and many make basement awfully dumb.

Thanks
Green
First make sure and take care of the few common issues (which are in most cases, is the cause for a wet basement condition) won't solve the problem... then do your thing, and waterproof
Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
First make sure and take care of the few common issues (which are in most cases, is the cause for a wet basement condition) won't solve the problem... then do your thing, and waterproof
Hi greg,

thanks for reply
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 601

Water wil flow through the easiest path. Create a path that can be controlled/collected. Waterproofing is not an effective long term solution. Sooner or later, it will find a way through.

I'm a big believer in putting lateral drain pipes through the footer, & then collecting on the inside of wall. If done correctly, it eliminates pressure on the outside of the wall, & hence leaks through the wall.
Joe
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Railman For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-17-2013), greg24k (03-22-2013), Mavis Leonard (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 96

cracked foundations leak even with drain systems. Poured walls leak from cracks off the window openings, foundation settlement, pipe openings, improperly poured foundation walls.

A leaky block foundation is the worst repair.

Best system is drainage plus waterproofing plus proper landscaping and downspouts.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #9

Quote:

I got it, Thanks for advice
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 10,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post

I'm a big believer in putting lateral drain pipes through the footer, & then collecting on the inside of wall. If done correctly, it eliminates pressure on the outside of the wall, & hence leaks through the wall.
Joe

My mind-set is the direct opposite. I do not want to collect the outside water,invite it inside,only to figure out how to pump it back out. Along with this method comes a whole host of problems,for one,power outages and faild pumps. My first choice,build on high ground,not marginal lots and run drain tile to day light. Gravity never fails us. If that is not possible,install exterior sump basin and pump. I'm not a big fan of inviting the water inside if it can be avoided.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
tenon0774 (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
My mind-set is the direct opposite. I do not want to collect the outside water,invite it inside,only to figure out how to pump it back out. Along with this method comes a whole host of problems,for one,power outages and faild pumps. My first choice,build on high ground,not marginal lots and run drain tile to day light. Gravity never fails us. If that is not possible,install exterior sump basin and pump. I'm not a big fan of inviting the water inside if it can be avoided.
Everyone wants to be on the high ground, but not everyone is fortunate enough to have that option. I take my house for instance, No matter how many regional floods we had, my pump never kicked in and my basement is 7'+ in the ground. If I dig a 12" hole and pour 5 gallons of water into the hole, the water will peculate as if a drain is installed. Some places you pour water into the hole and it will be sitting there 3 days later.

I just build a few homes and if you go 4.5' deep, you hit seasonal high water table, placing the footing right on top of it, and 4" for the floor slab it brings you 12"+ above the water table...
In some cases you can install a dry-well on the property and divert all the water there, but in this case it had to go inside the basement and pumped out to the day light...which is a standard way of doing that to release hydrostatic pressure from your foundation wall.
There is nothing wrong with doing that, other then what you mentioned the power going out... But if you do a soil test before excavation, and you place your basement floor at the right elevation and above seasonal high water table, you will not have any problems.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Everyone wants to be on the high ground, but not everyone is fortunate enough to have that option. I take my house for instance, No matter how many regional floods we had, my pump never kicked in and my basement is 7'+ in the ground. If I dig a 12" hole and pour 5 gallons of water into the hole, the water will peculate as if a drain is installed. Some places you pour water into the hole and it will be sitting there 3 days later.

I just build a few homes and if you go 4.5' deep, you hit seasonal high water table, placing the footing right on top of it, and 4" for the floor slab it brings you 12"+ above the water table...
In some cases you can install a dry-well on the property and divert all the water there, but in this case it had to go inside the basement and pumped out to the day light...which is a standard way of doing that to release hydrostatic pressure from your foundation wall.
There is nothing wrong with doing that, other then what you mentioned the power going out... But if you do a soil test before excavation, and you place your basement floor at the right elevation and above seasonal high water table, you will not have any problems.

There may be some confusion as to what i was advocating. I never mentioned a dry well.My point is a conventional sump basin and conventional sump pump,difference being they are located outside,not in basment or crawl space.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
General Contractor

Quote:
There may be some confusion as to what i was advocating. I never mentioned a dry well.My point is a conventional sump basin and conventional sump pump,difference being they are located outside,not in basment or crawl space.
I know what you advocated, but the reason why they bring the outside perimeter drain through the footer, is to release hydrostatic pressure from foundation wall. Doing just a pipe and placing pipe around the footing on the inside will only help with underground water. Doing perimeter drain on the exterior will help move water which is coming from the roof, etc on the outside.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #14
Pro

I guess i still am misunderstood. I concur with you 100% with the tile on outside. What i mean is the tile,sump basin and sump pump are all located outside the building shell.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
General Contractor

Quote:
I guess i still am misunderstood. I concur with you 100% with the tile on outside. What i mean is the tile,sump basin and sump pump are all located outside the building shell.
I figured that what you meant, but thats not a standard practice around here, as a matter a fact, I never seen being done that way and I been doing this almost 30 yrs.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
I figured that what you meant, but thats not a standard practice around here, as a matter a fact, I never seen being done that way and I been doing this almost 30 yrs.

I will agree with you it is not common. A number of years ago,maybe 6 JLC printed a book about best practices. In that book they listed all the places the components could be purchased (most were quite common) Also,in that book they talked about a sump pump used for back up that was powered by municipal water supply (never have to worry about power failure) I have never used one of those yet though. Have installed about 8-9 of the exterior systems since reading the JLC book.
The Following User Says Thank You to fjn For This Useful Post:
greg24k (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Railing
Rewards Points: 601

I have never seen a sump pump on the
outside of a building.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman
I have never seen a sump pump on the
outside of a building.
Common here.... Do you pump storm/ground water into the sewer?

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #19
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDavis View Post

Thanks
Green
If you have an existing block foundation and you already have a sum pump pit, there a few things you can do to get rid of water issue... First make sure the outside conditions are not the cause for your issues,i.e gutters are clean and water is not over-floating during hard rain, leaders have extensions and divert water away from foundation. Grading is not back-pitched and collecting water near foundation, etc.

If it looks good, and there is still issues, you do something like this, I've done this for a few customers and it is an approved engineering method.
If anyone remembers, when we use to install French drains and water would collect inside the block, we would puncture the block bellow the slab to release the water into a French drain and it will flow into the sump pit... keeping the block dry.

This is basically the same thing, here is a detail sketch I did for the customer.
Attached Thumbnails
Why Basement Is Leaking?-foundation-block-drain.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #20
Pro

Rewards Points: 2,274

Near where I live there is a house 5yrs old built on top of a mountain, unfortunately on top of a spring. They built it in the summer, but for some reason the water problem is only in the winter. They have 6 sump pumps and a propane backup generator. It It looks like a river coming out from that house in the winter, and they are right at the ridge.

Advertisement