Kitchen Rebuild With Lots Of Lighting. - Remodeling Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Kitchen Rebuild With Lots Of Lighting.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeler, Kitchen and Bath
Rewards Points: 333

Kitchen Rebuild With Lots Of Lighting.

Here are the "before" pictures of this 1952 built house. The lay out of the house in this project is rreally wierd in that, the kitchen is one sided. Every cabinet and appliance is on one side. It's like a galley kitchen but it turns around a corner.

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohenbe1lo.jpg

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohenbe2lo.jpg

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohenbe4lo.jpg

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Kitchen Rebuild With Lots Of Lighting.

This was the first client to ask me for toe kick lighting. I ended up using an LED sticky back light strip that runs off of 12vdc and can be cut to any length you like. I have since used it in a ton of different situations and I really like it.

Also, this client asked for all lower drawers. No cabinets doors. Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohen6lo.jpg

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohen3lo.jpg

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohen4lo.jpg

Edit: ALmost forgot about the under cabinet and above cabinet lighting.

Advertisement

Last edited by KermieB; 12-27-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #3
Pro

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohen1lo.jpg

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohen2lo.jpg

Kitchen rebuild with lots of lighting.-cohen5lo.jpg

In case you are wondering, yes, I build my cabinets, but I order my doors. It's quicker, and cost effiecient. This set has a lot of special features, including lower diagonal sliding corner drawers where a lazy susan would be.... I think they are visible in one of the pictures.
The Following User Says Thank You to KermieB For This Useful Post:
slowsol (12-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 538

Diagonal slider....is that the Kornerking?
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 12-27-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 418

Nice job on the cabinets Kermie! Dramatic change to that kitchen and great you were able to accomplish what the customer wanted.

Couple of questions and I am not looking to critique, just understand for my own knowledge and curiosity.
1. What is that hanging from the ceiling in front of the hood?
2. Why not use the LED ribbon undercab as well as toe kick.
3. Do you ever tile the entire floor prior to setting bases and what happened to grout line in front of peninsula DW side.
4. Ok just one picky and very minor item that stands out in an otherwise flawless remodel, the white GFCi against the almond plate.

I bet we starting seeing more drawer bases since mostly everyone seems to want rollouts anyways.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,268

I'll start of by saying is an unusual setup.

I don't like the toe kick lighting in this kitchen and with as many handles as you have, the dark color and large size makes even look crowded.

And I too would like to know what in the world is up with that grout line as well as the off color tile.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:39 AM   #7
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 812

Tough crowd.

― Will Durant
The Following User Says Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
Inner10 (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
Tough crowd.
I noticed no other comment.

Look at the peninsula cabinet, it has handles on every single panel. They are all not functional, so why are they there? It looks like a cabinet handle display. It's too busy.

I can't ignore the grout lines not matching up.

However, I am not knocking the installation (other than the tile floor), just the material choices and layout.

Honest opinions are what help us grow. I am going to be honest as I hope others would be with me. In fact, I posted some pics of a project I was working on at my house and someone mentioned something that didn't look right.

It made me go back and fix the issue that I didn't see.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
AustinDB (01-02-2015), KitchenAndBath (08-01-2017), m1911 (01-03-2015), Robie (12-28-2014), Spencer (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 74

Not my taste. Handles are huge and way too many, I would have liked small knobs on small drawers. Same finish just smaller.

Just noticed, are there any lower doors? Way, way, way to many drawers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
m1911 (01-03-2015), TNTRenovate (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 74

I knew this looked familiar, you posted it back in May. I did not like the handles then either.
Why the repost?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
m1911 (01-03-2015), MDjim (12-28-2014), TNTRenovate (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,727

It looks like there is a drawer that won't open unless the dishwasher is open... Some people might not like that feature.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Handyman View Post
Nice job on the cabinets Kermie! Dramatic change to that kitchen and great you were able to accomplish what the customer wanted.

Couple of questions and I am not looking to critique, just understand for my own knowledge and curiosity.
1. What is that hanging from the ceiling in front of the hood?
2. Why not use the LED ribbon undercab as well as toe kick.
3. Do you ever tile the entire floor prior to setting bases and what happened to grout line in front of peninsula DW side.
4. Ok just one picky and very minor item that stands out in an otherwise flawless remodel, the white GFCi against the almond plate.

I bet we starting seeing more drawer bases since mostly everyone seems to want rollouts anyways.
1. That's a motiion detector for the alarm system and I couldnt' change it.
2. It was TOO bright and didn't accomplish what this lady wanted so we used a small bar LED light.
3. The tile was existing and did not change. They happen to have about half a box in the basement so I could fill in when I changed the cabinet's footprint, but NO, I never put tile down first, and if you ever have to remove tile (or any flooring product for that matter) that is under a cabinet, you won't ever put it down first either.
4. That's a USB outlet, and it's not white, it's ivory, but it's a different color ivory that doessn't match, but they were ok with it because they wanted the USB charger in that location.
The Following User Says Thank You to KermieB For This Useful Post:
Doctor Handyman (12-30-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay hole View Post
It looks like there is a drawer that won't open unless the dishwasher is open... Some people might not like that feature.
Nice try Jose, but you're wrong. I might be a clown, but this ain't my first rodeo. The base cabinet and the dishwasher both have a filler to move them over 1 1/2" from the corner to allow for the oversized handles.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:35 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
I knew this looked familiar, you posted it back in May. I did not like the handles then either.
Why the repost?
Sorry... haven't been here in a while and didn't realize I had already posted this one. There was a discussion about me in another thread, so I figured I would "catch up" on this year's projects.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Pro

The floor tile was existing, but I had changed the footprint of the base cainets to allow for a bigger sink so there was a gap there which I filled AS THE HOMEOWNER REQUESTED without taking up any tile because we didn't have enough to take out more than a few.

I found that tile at Lowe's but the color lot was so far off, they didn't want to use it.

Nice catch though. You people are sharp.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
Pro

Now, let me say this....

When YOU write the check... YOU get to make the decisions on how this kitchen looks.

I'm sorry if you don't like the handles on the dummy drawers on the bar, but I built what she asked for and she absolutely loved it.

I'm sorrry if you don't like that every base cabinet is a drawer, but I built what she asked for and she absolutely loved it.

I'm sorry if you don't like the size of the handles, but I built what she asked for and she absolutely loved them.

BTW, not all lowers are drawers. There is a cookie sheet door on the bar and a trash can pull out near the fridge. THe drawer under the sink is cut out to allow for pipes, but is useable.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
Diagonal slider....is that the Kornerking?
No... that's the KermieB
Old 12-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 1,727

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermieB View Post
Nice try Jose, but you're wrong. I might be a clown, but this ain't my first rodeo. The base cabinet and the dishwasher both have a filler to move them over 1 1/2" from the corner to allow for the oversized handles.

The photo is deceiving, the Handel on the dw looks like it sticks out 3 or 4 inches. I think your craftsmanship is great! I almost like the toe kick lighting a lot, I think if the lights were a little softer it would be better...as long as she is happy and you made money I would say it's a home run!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay hole For This Useful Post:
KermieB (12-29-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #19
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KermieB View Post
Now, let me say this....

When YOU write the check... YOU get to make the decisions on how this kitchen looks.

I'm sorry if you don't like the handles on the dummy drawers on the bar, but I built what she asked for and she absolutely loved it.

I'm sorrry if you don't like that every base cabinet is a drawer, but I built what she asked for and she absolutely loved it.

I'm sorry if you don't like the size of the handles, but I built what she asked for and she absolutely loved them.

BTW, not all lowers are drawers. There is a cookie sheet door on the bar and a trash can pull out near the fridge. THe drawer under the sink is cut out to allow for pipes, but is useable.
It's my job to help a customer from stepping in a big pile of crap. I have flat out refused to put my name on many projects. Why? Because my name was on it.

Sometimes it's our job to help a customer see past what they think that they want. What happens when a friend bursts her bubble and then she looks at you like, why didn't you tell me? As a contractor, we see a ton of different ways to do and not do things. It's up to us to educate our clients.

With that said, I have done some projects that just didn't match my taste, but they still looked nice when they were complete.

As for the tile, I always place my floors under my cabinets. That way if the foot print changes, guess what? Yep! There is flooring there to accommodate most changes.

Unless it's just not possible to pull the cabinet, tile always, always, always goes under the cabinets.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TNTRenovate For This Useful Post:
Anderson (01-08-2015), avenge (12-28-2014), Doctor Handyman (12-30-2014), m1911 (01-03-2015)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 392

Looks sweet to me Kermie !!! My wife would give you my left nut for that Kitchen!

Advertisement

CarpenterSFO (12-28-2014), KermieB (12-29-2014)