ArchAngle Round Top Aluminum Storm Door.... - Remodeling Picture Post - Contractor Talk

ArchAngle Round Top Aluminum Storm Door....

Old 07-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Windows, Doors, Siding, Enclosures
Rewards Points: 2,936

ArchAngle Round Top Aluminum Storm Door....

This was the very first time we've done one of these. I got a call from a potential customer who had made the rounds to all of the box stores and was frustrated to say the least. He explained that he had a wood circle top storm door that had blown off of his house and basically got destroyed. He wanted an aluminum storm to replace it, could I help him?

I had to admit, that I had never seen shaped aluminum storm doors, just wood. He explained that he found a company in Ohio (ArchAngle) that did them, but they wouldn't sell directly to home owners, and they had no recommendations or contractors in this area.

After doing some research and talking with the good folks at ArchAngle, it was obviously a no brainer to try and help him. They were wonderful to work with, VERY patient with my many questions and basically, held our collective hands through this first purchase and install.

Ok, here's what we started with....

You can see that the brickmold is pretty chewed up and extremely irregular....

So, we made new BM in our mill shop first and replaced it. The customer painted it then we measured again for the storm door to be made to fit our new BM. With a shaped top storm door, there are three critical measurements. Obviously the height and width, with the third being what's called the spring line. It's the point where the straight side first starts it's radius.

Fortunately, we got the BM just right because the spring line needs to be almost exact for the door to seat and seal properly. It can be off a tiny bit and covered by the Z-Bar, but we had to get the BM spring line right and got it to within 1/32". The other issue which we couldn't help much with was the various jamb thickness on each side of the door, but that didn't really matter as long as our BM was thick enough to account for the Z-Bar, which it was of course....

I didn't get any pics of the crating or packing, but suffice it to say, it was top shelf all the way. The unit comes in a custom crate built out of 2" x 4" framing with 7/16" OSB on the front and back, with 2" x 4" dividers to keep all hardware, mounting accessories and in this case matching caulk for the BM - away from the door and glass. The door itself and the glass, were each wrapped extensively in heavy duty bubble wrap.

Unpacked and double checking all measurements....

Now, the first time installing one of these was a bit of an adventure. But a couple of quick phone calls between me, the engineering department at Archangle and my installer, and they were able to steer us in the right direction. Again, I can't say enough about how willing they were to help us through this first install.

Ok, all done and the customers were ecstatic!

For a slight up-charge, we went with the upgraded hardware. I'm glad we did. It's very nice for the modest price.

I'm hoping this can become another niche for us. I've already sold two more and quoted a third.
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
As accomplishments go, getting me to talk is an easy one.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 07-22-2015 at 01:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
superseal (07-23-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Pro

Re: ArchAngle Round Top Aluminum Storm Door....

ArchAngle had made a slight change in their brown color between the time the door was sold and delivered. It is supposed to improve the UV resistance and help the brown color resist fading and chalking.

In what I thought was a REALLY nice touch, the head of the company told me to tell my customer that they would pay for new paint to re-do the BM and jamb. I mean the difference is subtle (it looks worse in the pics than it really is) and if it were mine, I would be fine with it, but I really thought that was a nice gesture on their part.

I think I am really going to enjoy working with this company.

Advertisement

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-22-2015), goneelkn (07-22-2015), MDjim (07-22-2015), Xtrememtnbiker (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 03:42 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,044

Very nice, John.
CompleteW&D (07-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Pro

Thanks Bob....

What really made this install a little out of the ordinary, is you set your hinge side Z-Bar first getting it plumb and level of course, then adjust the rest of the Z-Bar to the door frame as you work your way around the door. Quite unlike what you might do on a regular square door, you don't simply secure your Z-Bar all the way around.

I guess it has something to do with the round top. The door will rack and/or not close all the way into the Z-Bar, until the reveals are perfect all the way around the door. So, you need to adjust the Z-Bar to the door itself, as you go around the door. It's a bit more flexible than you might think which allows you to do that.

I guess the other types of shapes aren't nearly as difficult, but with the circle or round tops, they are. But, we got it....
The Following User Says Thank You to CompleteW&D For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #5
Pro

The nice thing about Arch Angle guys.... is that they prefer to sell direct to the contractor. You're not buying through distribution of any kind, so you save that typical 20% - 30% mark up at your yard. I mean they aren't cheap by any means.... and they have long lead times.

But, you can offer something NO ONE else can and make a nice bottom line to boot.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 PM   #6
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 52

Very nice.

I have never heard of this company before, but they are but 15 miles from a lot of our work.

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Pro

THANKS Warren.... They are right in your back yard. Give Sharren a call.

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 07-22-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Renaissance Man

Trade: Masonry, Carpentry and everything else.
Rewards Points: 5,840

Nice job John and thanks for the heads up...

https://www.facebook.com/Superseal-C...2699413750013/
The Following User Says Thank You to superseal For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (07-27-2015)
Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
Pro

You're welcome my friend. It's always nice to be able to offer something that no one else does.

Advertisement

Last edited by CompleteW&D; 07-27-2015 at 08:47 PM.