He Swears Its Hail... - Roofing Picture Post - Contractor Talk

He Swears Its Hail...

Old 01-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 886

He Swears Its Hail...

I was giving an estimate on this roof today. The homeowner said another roofer told her she has terrible hail damage and I must not know what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure she has a weird bird or squirrel problem.
Attached Thumbnails
He swears its hail...-image-1098835137.jpg   He swears its hail...-image-834221472.jpg   He swears its hail...-image-2024269698.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

Re: He Swears Its Hail...

Did ya tell him to whack the vent a few more times before calling the insurance adjuster?

Looks like they're baked (old) or rotted organics

Advertisement

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
Old 01-04-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Pro

After they kept insisting I didn't know what I was talking about I just smiled and said good luck with that.
The Following User Says Thank You to LeeFowler For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (01-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,136

How does hail only hit the edges of the spaces and no where else?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
CarrPainting (05-29-2014), hdavis (01-05-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Finish carpentry and millwork
Rewards Points: 85

I think you might be right about the critters. There is damage, but as TQ pointed out the vent is nice and shiny? It looks to me like something was picking at certain areas. Maybe there were some sort of bugs under those spots?
At the end of the day, the cause may be a bit irrelevant unless it may happen again and is preventable. What it comes down to is that the place needs a new roof.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #6
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: Builder - General
Rewards Points: 1,432

Seems like someone's trying to scam the insurance company.
Commercial/Residential - Additions - Renovations
Old 01-04-2014, 11:00 PM   #7
Pro

No doubt it's a scam. The homeowner just didn't like to hear that they aren't getting a free roof. I'm almost sure the damage was caused by birds, I have seen it before.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,048

Just thinking out loud here. But what ever caused the damage and not caused by some one doing it on purpose to the roof , and as long as it is not normal wear and tear should it not be covered? Damage is damage right unless the insurance says it will only cover hail damage and nothing else. I guess it all depends on what the policy says.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 PM   #9
Pro

The argument used in a pass case by an insurance company was the homeowner was negligent in the upkeep of their property. The adjuster argued that the homeowner should have noticed the damage and taken steps to prevent it. I don't do much in the way of arguing insurance claims as it is mostly as waste of time. I just thought this was an interesting case as I have only seen it a few other times.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #10
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,136

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFowler
The argument used in a pass case by an insurance company was the homeowner was negligent in the upkeep of their property. The adjuster argued that the homeowner should have noticed the damage and taken steps to prevent it. I don't do much in the way of arguing insurance claims as it is mostly as waste of time. I just thought this was an interesting case as I have only seen it a few other times.
That's right it's an argument that's correct as well. It's called a responsibility to mitigate. It's no different then letting a leaking pipe leak for years and then calling the contractor and claiming he should fix the damage. The contractor has a case, because had the HO of fixed the leak in a reasonable amount of time, then the damage wouldn't of happened. It's a patent defect meaning it was discoverable.

Last edited by Calidecks; 01-04-2014 at 11:32 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calidecks For This Useful Post:
bobmcalister (08-05-2014), LeeFowler (01-04-2014)
Old 01-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #11
Drywall Slave

Trade: drywall contractor
Rewards Points: 288

That's messed up...Iv'e seen siding guys screw up asphalt shingles on a hot day....But those pics are something I've never seen before. They look picked at?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:56 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktop
That's messed up...Iv'e seen siding guys screw up asphalt shingles on a hot day....But those pics are something I've never seen before. They look picked at?
I believe the damage is caused by birds picking at bugs that often live beneath the tabs of the shingles. The home is covered by overhanging trees that are no doubt full of little bugs.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,278

i do DO a lot of insurance claims and I also do a lot of fighting with them. Damage is damage to the customer, however the insurance company only covers damage that is an act of God or peril related. If you got on your roof and started hitting it with a hammer, do you think they would buy you a new one? If the customer has a hard time understanding why thats not covered, they prob are going to have a hard time understanding they have to pay you after you replace it. Point out to the customer that the house is covered by huge trees and even if it had hailed, their roof would have been protected by the trees. Suggest they keep their trees pruned to minimize bug infestation. Then suggest the damage shingles be replaced at X$ a square. With the tree trim and the shingles, you can still make a grand off that job, then when it does hail, they can try again to file a claim. If you really want to make them feel better about it, tell them youll give them a 500$ return customer discount. lol..
Old 01-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #14
Pro

I almost never fight. Every once in a while you win, but more times then not you piss someone off that you have to meet next week on another questionable roof. I have personally found that I do better when I state my case in a calm and educated way. I deal with insurance companies on a daily basis and the last thing I want is a bad reputation with adjusters.

As for the homeowners, I guarantee these people aren't paying a dime out of pocket to fix anything.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:00 AM   #15
Pro

I don't mean fight as in punching scratching kicking pulling hair... I just mean correct them where they are wrong, if they are wrong. Or challenge their decision..and or help the customer know their options for recourse.

I've had many residential scopes increased by as much as 15, 000..all for legit reasons...and the ins paid no problems. I've only had 1 adjuster on a commercial job that made me so mad I wanted to stomp on his head while he had his face pressed against the shingles looking at obvious hail damage and denying it. But I got that one approved too.

I don't fight for something that's not covered.. and you're right, those customers prob won't pay a cent outta pocket. Unless he can sell them on the possibility of a future hail claim.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
That's right it's an argument that's correct as well. It's called a responsibility to mitigate. It's no different then letting a leaking pipe leak for years and then calling the contractor and claiming he should fix the damage. The contractor has a case, because had the HO of fixed the leak in a reasonable amount of time, then the damage wouldn't of happened. It's a patent defect meaning it was discoverable.
The difference is that the Contractor is not insuring anything. The insurance company is insuring this roof for a fee (premium MADE by them). Maybe they should not have insured it.

I believe in personal responsibility, but I also believe in business responsibility. Insurance is their business. Don't insure it for replacement cost if it's that bad.

This is definitely caused by something live.
The Following User Says Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (01-07-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Roofing, siding, windows
Rewards Points: 1,772

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFowler View Post
I almost never fight. Every once in a while you win, but more times then not you piss someone off that you have to meet next week on another questionable roof. I have personally found that I do better when I state my case in a calm and educated way. I deal with insurance companies on a daily basis and the last thing I want is a bad reputation with adjusters.

As for the homeowners, I guarantee these people aren't paying a dime out of pocket to fix anything.
Let the homeowner fight it out. They pay the premiums. There isn't anything you can do.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:56 PM   #18
Pro

The main reason for posting this picture is more show and tell than anything else. I'm about 99% sure of what caused the damage, I was just impressed as I haven't seen it very often. Also I was more than mildly amused when the homeowner informed me that I didn't know what I was talking about because that was surely hail damage.

I'm almost inclined to follow up later this week after the adjuster was supposed to come out, though I'm not exactly the I told you so type. Then again I have seen adjusters pay for stuff we both clearly knew wasn't damage, so I guess I could be the fool in that conversation. I gave the owners my price fully expecting to never hear from them again.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:13 AM   #19
Pro

You don't know what youre talking about? Lol.. and they do? Lolololol.. tell them to put the damn roof on then if they know so much more... and its always fun to say, "btw you have a rat infestation in your attic" as you are walking out the door.

I mean its like saying "you're not only stupid, you're disgusting too"

They cant say nothin!! They just stand there ..they don't know how to take it... was he being rude? Was he kidding? ..the possibilities are endless.

But for sure you'll leave laughing instead of pissed off..
Old 05-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #20

Trade: ALL TYPES ROOFING
Rewards Points: 2

Difinitly not hell damage! More like hand damage.

Advertisement