Brief Estimate - Roofing Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Brief Estimate

Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #1

Trade: Roofing

Brief Estimate

So the set up. Have a 3 person crew, the 4th person is not always there and when there is on the phone (ie the boss). One person on the crew is experienced but hasn't roofed in quite awhile, the other 2 haven't at all.

17square ranch house with 2 valleys . Without woven valleys. Waste was approximately 2 tons. And no dumpster on site so all had to be hand tossed into a truck that couldn't be up against the building except in the drive way. So debris where every where.

One layer of shingle 2 layers of felt to come off and replace.

So I have 2 questions. How long should you expect a brand new crew to do this house? Both laying shingles and clean up? Experienced person and one inexperienced nailing and an inexperienced loading debris ?

The shingles were what I thought was three tab but I now believe to be architectural. The first load of debris was thrown into a flatbed with basically plywood sides and back, rudely 3 feet taller then the clean up person. The second load was loaded onto tarps and rolled into a pickup for easier dumping.

I'm asking because we all think my boss had an unrealistic plan on how long it would take to do it all. With a new crew
Thanks in advance.

If nessisary I can try to find a few pictures

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 434

Re: Brief Estimate

It's not uncommon for workers to think the boss has an unrealistic plan on how long it will take to complete a project.

As time goes on, he will have a better estimate of how much you can do in a certain amount of time.
Then the boss will still think you should have it done faster.

It doesn't matter how long I think it should take.

I recently hired a 6 man crew to tear off 4 roofs. I overestimated their abilities. They worked pretty hard all day long. They were just slow.
So, for the first roof, I had an unrealistic plan on how long it would take to do it all. For the next ones, I have a better understanding of their abilities. They will still go slower than I want them to, but at least I know what to expect.

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2017, 07:31 AM   #3

Trade: City worker
Rewards Points: 24

2-3 days....maybe 4 if new. What is your boss asking?

Last edited by MeanWeen; 11-12-2017 at 07:34 AM.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:05 AM   #4

He originally said 1 day. Then 2. It took 3 and a quarter. In 40° weather. First day was 1030 or 11am-5pm first 1.5 hours was set up and loading shingles and gear second was 830-7, third was 830- 8. It gets dark at 520pm

Last edited by Walking; 11-12-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #5

Oh and we had no lights the first 2 nights and only a couple head laps last night. Just a hand held flash lite and phones
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 280

1 gunner, 1materials, 1 clean as you go, plus materials. 2 days. This is all materials and clean up, the gunning is faster.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #7
Been around

Rewards Points: 1,578

Essentially you have one roofer (shingler) and a couple laborers.

Two days for the installation with the shingler and one helper. That would be a reasonable clip, but somewhat slow. For a shingler to throw down 2 sq an hour with a guy as a dedicated helper would be more in line. That's an average of 1 sq an hour per guy. Metal, starting, hip/ridge....I say give shingler and helper roughly 12 hours to do the whole roof.

As far as the tear off, there are a lot of factors, but having it all off of the roof and dried in in one day is a reasonable expectation. Two guys to clean it all up.....half a day. So you have 1 day x 4 guys, 1-1/2 days x 2 guys, 1/2 day x 2 guys....I don't really know how much value to put on the phone guy

Now reality is different. Working as unit, the tear off and clean up can be considerably shorter when the lead is actually leading and the laborers are following the directions given.

Just because one guy has a lot of experience as a shingler, doesn't qualify him (automatically) as a good manager of time and people.

Also job site prep, available tools (clean up and tear off) and disposal set up are huge factors. If there was "debris everywhere", it's not being done efficiently from the get-go. A ranch would have 95% of the debris moved directly from the roof into the dumpster/truck/bin. Once it hits the ground you have to fight gravity all over again.

Expectations and reality aside, it would be more useful to evaluate each crew member as to their potential....lead included.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #8

Yea, I figured it would have taken you guys close to 4 on the first one. After the first you will find it speeds way up. If the crew have no experience, and haven’t worked together before it is normal for the first one to take longer than expected. Once you guys are set up onsite and get into a groove it will improve. Sounds like your boss should have planned to spend some more time onsite on the first one to make sure the procedure was running efficiently. Amazing what a little more site time will do.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 4,552

Who the F sends guys to jobs who don't know what they're doing ? Using light from phone to work ? Yea sounds like the boss is gonna do well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
Pro

Roof pitch can make a big difference, plus 2 story vs 1, but you didn't mention any of those. I also didn't include tear off.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Who the F sends guys to jobs who don't know what they're doing ? Using light from phone to work ? Yea sounds like the boss is gonna do well

Better to spend time on site the first day to cover the basics for being efficient, unless you aren't a hands on roofer.

Working by lights is way slow, no matter what lights you use.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:58 PM   #12

1 story ranch. With about a 4 pitch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Walking For This Useful Post:
hdavis (11-12-2017)
Old 11-12-2017, 01:22 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post

I have go pros on my employees that are live stream and I tell them what to do from the office
Old 11-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #14
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 4,552

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
I have go pros on my employees that are live stream and I tell them what to do from the office

That's some high tech chit.I just learned what seo meant like two years ago lol

Old 11-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
Nice.......can you get some type of hammer or something that shocks them for ya if you don’t like what see through gp
Old 11-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Builder
Rewards Points: 1,636

I can't imagine that 2 of us couldn't get it done in three days. Tear off 8.5 square for 2 days and shingle on the 3rd. We would probably get done early each day.

Carry everything over the roof and throw it in the truck. Don't throw it on the ground.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #17

Unfortunately one of the reasons the tear did not all go on one side of the house is because we were told to tare off front and they started shinglingin it. The back half of the home was not torn off until the next day, and all the remaining bundles of shingles had to be moved to finished portions to complete it.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #18

Trade: Roofing,Siding, windows and gutter

High def I agree with tearing it off and one Bay and cleaning up the rest is cake work
Unread Yesterday, 06:06 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 48

2-3 days

Advertisement