You’re Being Secretly Tracked With Facial Recognition, Even In Church - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

You’re Being Secretly Tracked With Facial Recognition, Even In Church

Old 06-24-2015, 03:33 AM   #1
Design Build

Trade: well....that was unpleasant
Rewards Points: 3,210

You’re Being Secretly Tracked With Facial Recognition, Even In Church

http://fusion.net/story/154199/facia...tion-no-rules/

You’re being secretly tracked with facial recognition, even in church

We know that Facebook has a vast facial recognition database so good that it can recognize you when your face is hidden, that the FBI has built a millions-strong criminal facial recognition system, and that Google’s new Photos app is so effective at face recognition that it can identify now-adults in photos from their childhood. But now facial recognition is starting to pop up in weird and unexpected places: at music festivals (to identify criminals); at stadiums (to weed out “sports troublemakers“) and at churches. Yes, churches.

Moshe Greenshpan, the CEO of Israel- and Las Vegas-based facial recognition software company Face-Six, says there are 30 churches around the world using his Churchix technology. He launched the service just four months ago and says churches are already using it to scan congregants’ earthly visages to keep track of attendance at events in order to know who wasn’t there so they can check up on them, or who attends most frequently so they can ask those people for donations. He declined to name any of the churches using the technology citing the controversy around facial recognition. I asked him if any of the churches are based in Texas or Illinois, the only two U.S. states that have laws on the books about getting permission to collect peoples’ faceprints. “I prefer not to say,” said Greenshpan.

(If a facial expression-detecting camera were trained on my own face, it would read “skeptical.” Without being able to talk to one of the churches using this technology, it’s impossible to verify Greenshpan’s claims.)

Greenshpan said the churches just have to upload one high-quality photo of a congregant to start scanning video or photos from gatherings to see if they were there. I asked him if the churches let people know they’re using the technology. “I don’t think churches tell people,” he said. “We encourage them to do so but I don’t think they do.”

That’s exactly the fear that privacy advocates have about the increasing roll-out of this technology: people’s faces are being put in databases and used to track them without any knowledge that it’s happening. Greenshpan argues that churches were already keeping track of who attended their events, but that his technology just makes it more efficient for medium-sized and mega-churches.

From the Churchix website

Greenshpan, who got his start with a facial recognition app called Skakash that was like a Shazam for celebrity faces, and then “followed the money” to business applications, is among the entrepreneurs who want to usher facial recognition into more common use. Some of the companies focus on their ability to create databases of “bad faces” — people who can be instantly identified for heightened scrutiny or even barred from entry. California-based FaceFirst tells retailers in an advertising brochure that they can get alerts when “pre-identified shoplifters” or “known litigious individuals” enter their stores.

FaceFirst also says retailers can create a database of “good customers,” so they can greet them by name when they walk through the door. Privacy advocates worry about the creation of face-tracking databases that could be used to track people’s movements in the offline world the same way advertising companies track them online from website to website using cookies.

Facefirst
From a Facefirst advertising brochure for retailers

“Instantly, when a person in your FaceFirst database steps into one of your stores, you are sent an email, text, or SMS alert that includes their picture and all biographical information of the known individual so you can take immediate and appropriate action,” says the Facefirst brochure. It doesn’t say what happens when that person isn’t you but is actually a doppelgänger with a bad reputation. Or how someone who doesn’t want to get greeted by name gets their face taken out of the database.

“There are no federal laws that specifically govern the use of facial recognition technology,” wrote Ben Sobel in a Washington Post editorial that discussed the only two states with relevant laws on the books. In lieu of a law, the Department of Commerce has been trying to establish facial recognition industry standards in a “privacy multistakeholder process.” For more than a year, industrial representatives and privacy advocates have been taking part in negotiations to come up with standards for how facial recognition should be deployed by businesses in the U.S. Last week, those negotiations broke down. Privacy groups involved in the process, including the ACLU and EFF, withdrew, saying in a letter that companies refused to agree to core principles of privacy.

“We asked the industry to agree that in general they need to get consent to put people’s images into facial recognition databases and they disagreed,” said Alvaro Bedoya, executive director of Georgetown’s Center on Privacy & Technology. “So we proposed the narrowest of narrow situations, that when someone is walking down a street, a company they haven’t heard of shouldn’t identify that person by name. And the industry representatives wouldn’t agree to that either. So we walked out.”

According to many a sci-fi book and at least one hilarious comic, technology-enabled facial recognition in the wild will eventually be as common as caller id on your phone — which also got heat from privacy advocates when first introduced in 1990. How mainstream society feels about it is still unclear, though people occasionally seem to be discomforted judging from lawsuits filed this year in Illinois alleging that both Facebook and Shutterfly created faceprints without their users’ consents. But proponents say, with the steady march of technology and image collection, face recognition everywhere is looking increasingly inevitable.

“You, I, everyone has the right to take photographs in public,” said Carl Szabo, a lawyer at online advertising trade group Netchoice who was on the other side of the Commerce debate. “Facial recognition can be applied immediately, or days later, or months later. If someone takes a photograph in public, and wants to apply facial recognition, should they really need to get consent in advance? Are they going to chase someone down the street to get them to fill out a form?”

Szabo said he was disappointed that the privacy groups had dropped out of the negotiations but that the Department of Commerce working group will still issue standards on facial recognition for industry. He thinks companies just need to be transparent about what they’re doing and put notices up about facial recognition being used. He says businesses will change their ways if consumers signal that they don’t like it. “I don’t know if society will get used to Carl Szabo being identified as he’s walking down the street,” he said. “But if a business makes people uncomfortable, there will be a backlash.”

Of course, if Greenshpan’s claims are true, there are congregants at churches who are currently being subjected to facial recognition scanning who have no idea it’s happening and thus no opportunity to raise holy hell about it if they object.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 05:16 AM   #2
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,888

Re: You’re Being Secretly Tracked With Facial Recognition, Even In Church

Good thing I don't go to church.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 06:07 AM   #3
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Don't be so shocked and surprised. Did you really think that all of this stuff was "free" just for the sake of humanity?
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #4
Design Build

Trade: well....that was unpleasant
Rewards Points: 3,210

Who says I'm shocked? Disappointed, maybe.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 2,168

OMG it's the 'Machine', right Root?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

The concept does work very well and is proven.

If your church uses it and you do not like it, just go to a different church after you let them know why you are leaving.

Too bad they did not have that in S.C. where nine people were recently killed, but there probably were no photos of the murderer, since he had no record.

The good side is the convenience and safety. Several times, I stayed at a good size hotel (maybe 200 rooms) in India and they had facial recognition at every entry and exit. - It was a little unnerving when you walk in the entry you can go to the desk to get your key, turn in your passport and the clerk calls you by your name and has your key ready before you get there. I became interested the first couple of times, thinking he had a great memory, but showed me his monitor that had facial recognition and even ran it back to show the clip of me entering and time showing. I don't know how they handled a group of 100 for a wedding reception, but I know everything was observed.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 06-24-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

The World is a Vampire - is what comes to mind when reading this kind of stuff.

I know its there. It's everywhere. There are companies touting the technology to those with open ears who have the ability to sign off on the purchase and installation of the technology. All with clamor over safety while on the back end - data about you is being tracked and shared behind the scenes.

No different than the 1000's of free apps on the phones and tablets. Really? Free?

Personally you know all this stuff is there, around you and recording everything you do. Not just you but thousands and millions of others at the same time.

Until you read something like this. Something to remind you fully of what is truly going on. It amazes me that we as a people were able to crawl out of caves and get to the point we are in evolution with the ever apparent technology there is today.

How did we have babies? Communicate with loved ones? Shop? Share pictures? Eat? Think? Breath?

Without this ever present, watching and lurking technology??

But what is one to do?

Toe the line, keep their head down and their nose clean.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

The only thing that I don't feel comfortable about when it comes to facebook is that if you use photos other than yours, you can be misidentified as not being who you say you are. If some cornball rent-a-cop organization decides to detain you because they are using social media as the gold standard, that can make for a very difficult situation.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,262

Then WHY can't they find 2 lowly escaped prisoners? If all this facial recognition and phone spying stuff exist..why have 2 prison escapees lasted so long?

Mind....blown
Old 06-24-2015, 04:46 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement/handyman
Rewards Points: 6,486

A low-tech countermeasure is to have a stock of several beard-with-glasses assemblies ready for all occasions. A hat with a beak is also good.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 5,270

A Walmart employee told me the camera's feed into a big computer at HQ that uses facial recognition & alerts the store security if a known thief/criminal goes in the store. From what that article says that would be illegal here in Texas. Why am I not surprised.

Advertisement