Wrestling, Hard Work - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Wrestling, Hard Work

Old 02-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
spazman

Trade: floorcovering installer
Rewards Points: 112

Wrestling, Hard Work

Sitting here at state high school wrestling championships watching excellence on the mat and thinking of all the hard work and dedication it took for the boys to get here. I think that my next helper might have to be a wrestler or a farm boy, somebody who can grind it out and get the job done and not just watch the clock for quitting time. What do you guys think?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spazman For This Useful Post:
AmeliaP (02-17-2013), Bone Saw (02-17-2013), CScalf (02-17-2013), fourcornerhome (02-16-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Retired Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 2,400

Re: Wrestling, Hard Work

I hired a guy who was state champion for north or south dakota, can't remember which, in the heavyweight division. Had this guy roll out the tar paper as I stapled off on a 2 story roof I was blacking in. We're doing the last row at the peak & he just walked off the edge not paying attention. I saw the paper went crooked, looked over he was gone so I look over the barge rafter. He's on the ground dusting himself off & grumbling to himself as he walks back to the ladder to climb back up. Guy was like a human tank.

Advertisement

boman47k (02-17-2013), CScalf (02-17-2013), J L (02-17-2013), Jaws (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Spaz,

You might voice your concerns to the government. Here, there is a movement led by Gable to get the olympic committee to overturn their decision to throw wrestling out of the olympics.

I never thought I would see the day when wrestling was not a part of the olympics. Plus, they will replace it with badminton or mall walking.
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
PA woodbutcher (02-18-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 898

All I know is that I'd rather fight a seasoned Marine than a trained wrestler.

After the initial fisticuffs, most fights end up on the ground and a wrestler wins every time.

It's been a long time (couple decades) since my last fight. I hope to keep it that way too.

Whenever I lost it was due to wrestling techniques. I also remember the wrestlers from high school being in way better shape and working out much harder than the football players.
boman47k (02-17-2013), Jaws (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Spaz,

You might voice your concerns to the government. Here, there is a movement led by Gable to get the olympic committee to overturn their decision to throw wrestling out of the olympics.

I never thought I would see the day when wrestling was not a part of the olympics. Plus, they will replace it with badminton or mall walking.
Especially since wrestling was one of the core events of the original Olympics.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 5,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post

After the initial fisticuffs, most fights end up on the ground and a wrestler wins every time.

It's been a long time (couple decades) since my last fight. I hope to keep it that way too.

Whenever I lost it was due to wrestling techniques. I also remember the wrestlers from high school being in way better shape and working out much harder than the football players.
Wrestling isnt big down here, but my old boss's son, Omar Ontiverous (starting full back for Texas Tech until he blew his knee out last year) was an All State middle linebacker and he would lose 15 or so pounds when he switched to wrestling in the off season.

He wasnt trying to lose weight at all, and was eating an un godly amount of calories every day. He said wrestling training made football two days look like a cake walk.

John
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

Name:  2013-02-16-22-52-30-1732229864.jpeg
Views: 83
Size:  12.6 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to ohiohomedoctor For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-16-2013)
Old 02-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post

Especially since wrestling was one of the core events of the original Olympics.
They killed eachother though. Littetally
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #9
spazman

I can't believe it either especially when they have things like synchronized swimming and trampolene.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:53 PM   #10
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazman View Post
I can't believe it either especially when they have things like synchronized swimming and trampolene.
And men's volleyball
Old 02-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 496

OK, I'll admit, I was a former wrestler and still follow it. Unfortunately, I wasn't as dedicated as the most successful ones today. It was a different time back then, I started in HS. Now they start when they can walk.

Wrestling seems to be dieing out beyond High School, especially here in Calif. It seems to be the easiest program to cut in order to make room for woman's programs.

I hope that it stays in the Olympics, but unfortunately, I think that the writing may be on the wall.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #12
spazman

Arrow

I am proud to report that my old high school came away with 2 second place finishes and a first and none of the boys are seniors. Not to bad for a little class 1 school.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
Pro

I don't think wrestling is good for you as a sport for life like swimming or tennis.

But I do think it has a function. I don't have a son and have never gone through wrestling as a father, but my dad told me it was good for me because it taught me some control.

When you are about 7 years old and start with some organized wrestling, you do learn quickly that there is always someone who can beat you (the coach if no one else). So you learn that there is no reason to huff and puff and disjoint yourself.

You don't really know how tough the work outs are. Nothing is tough when you are 7 years old, and you just keep doing it. You should see my 5 year old daughter on a gymnastics bar.

You do learn how to get out of bed in the morning (there were other things to teach that also) and how to train and get better at something. I remember putting a training schedule together with reps and what not and increasing them week by week.

And most probably you learn how to lose, how to fail. That has to be worth something. You get to try hard and not win and know that you have been beaten by someone who was better than you.

I guess you learn how to win as well. You can beat someone and know you are better than they are. You can abuse them and rack up the score, make them look like a fool, you can physically abuse them and even injure them. Or you can just beat them by a bit by working very hard and being a little bit better.

You also learn about stalling and quitting. Wrestlers from Marshalltown were known stallers, always heading off towards the side of the mat.

Anyway, all these things must be worth something.
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Carpentry Contractor
Rewards Points: 496

My coach told me that my best match was one that I lost.

My jr. year, I made into the third round against this scrawney wrestler before I was pinned. I was literally on my back the whole match. It wasn't til after that they told me this guy was a returning state champion and had a streak of 42 straight pins. No internet back then, so we didn't know anything about anyone until we faced them somewhere.

I was a decent wrester, but for some reason I got hurt every year. Tough sport.

I tried to get my kids interested in wrestling, they were both much better athletes then I was, but alas, they wouldn't be caught dead wearing the singlets.
The Following User Says Thank You to redwood For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,624

Bill wrestled and so does our son. The amount of self control they have is amazing.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #16
I'm on a boat!

Trade: Yacht carpenter
Rewards Points: 3,442

I found my inner fighter as a wrestler. I never knew it was there until one day in practice I pissed of my partner and he flipped out on me. He was stronger and in better shape than me. But I dug down deep and ended up beating him.
That's a lesson I'll never forget.
The Following User Says Thank You to J L For This Useful Post:
Jaws (02-17-2013)
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #17
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 8,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsconstruction View Post
They killed eachother though. Littetally
A couple matches in HS - it felt close to that.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood View Post
My coach told me that my best match was one that I lost.

My jr. year, I made into the third round against this scrawney wrestler before I was pinned. I was literally on my back the whole match. It wasn't til after that they told me this guy was a returning state champion and had a streak of 42 straight pins. No internet back then, so we didn't know anything about anyone until we faced them somewhere.

I was a decent wrester, but for some reason I got hurt every year. Tough sport.

I tried to get my kids interested in wrestling, they were both much better athletes then I was, but alas, they wouldn't be caught dead wearing the singlets.

Been there, done that.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
Official CT Greeter!

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselectric1 View Post

You must not keep up with military news. The Marine Corps employs what is called MCMAP Marine Corps Martial Arts program, and everyone is trained in it. It is essentially 10 different fighting styles with a strong focus on grapple, holds, and chokes...

I do it for the love of God, Country, The Corps, Apple Pie, & Poontang!
Old 02-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Pro

I had a roommate who was a VMI graduate. He must have failed the training you mentioned, or it came later on.

On another matter, does anyone think that wrestling is becoming more spread out throughout the US? I'm no expert, but I think it is strongest in the midwest. I have learned that there are hotbeds in New York (Penrith). And PA is known for wrestling. I hear they have a decent coach at Penn State now. Some wrestles have come from California (Kistler). Arizona was hot years back.

But how is it in your area in junior high and younger? Here, there are a lot of tournaments for younger kids, starting today probably when they are old enough to walk. I think when I was growing up, we started with this sort of stuff in about the 5th grade in elementary school. I was involved with the YMCA and we had an annual "small fry" program at school.

Advertisement