Wow! That Was A Big Explosion! Guy Did His Own Plumbing! - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Wow! That Was A Big Explosion! Guy Did His Own Plumbing!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Fine Handcrafted Opinions

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 2,520

Wow! That Was A Big Explosion! Guy Did His Own Plumbing!

I did significant work on this house 7-8 years ago. We framed it and dried it in for a guy, who then did all the mechanical himself and finish out himself. He then moved, and someone else lived there up until last night. They're saying it was caused by a propane leak in the basement.

Not one log wall left standing. The pics in the link aren't great, but you can see the round log ridge beam (probably 30' long) sticking out of the ground.

My buddy who lives 10 miles away was woken up by it.

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/...233999511.html

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 356

Re: Wow! That Was A Big Explosion! Guy Did His Own Plumbing!

There was something similar in Indianapolis (NG not LPG), they determine to was intentional. Charged the homeowners with murder, they killed one of their neighbors.

Tom

Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: New Construction & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,508

Unfortunately 'tis the season...in NW Ohio we've had 3-4 explode in similar fashion...scary!
The Following User Says Thank You to mstrat For This Useful Post:
camaroman2125 (12-02-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

This is exactly why i will not touch propane lines for any reason! I have customers get upset with me, even my helper is like "we can do this" but i flat out refuse to do it. Way too much risk IMO. I know LP is quite safe to work with and rarely do problems occur but i still will not risk it. Call a certified tech who is properly insured is what i tell them.

If something were to happen where a loss of life happened due to my negligence i do not know what i would do.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Remodeling and Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Spray it down with soapy water to ensure no leaks. Is it that hard to do?

Dull tools cause accidents. Sharpen your tools before they get dull!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: custom home building
Rewards Points: 2,624

Duh, they should have known better than to build a house with the ridge beam sticking out of the ground like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (12-02-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: GC/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,730

Pretty slow leak to take 8 years to build up

Just because the original builder did his own plumbing, don't assume he caused this.

'It takes considerable knowledge just to realize the extent of your own ignorance.'-Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to TimelessQuality For This Useful Post:
flashheatingand (12-02-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Fine Handcrafted Opinions

Rewards Points: 2,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimelessQuality
Pretty slow leak to take 8 years to build up Just because the original builder did his own plumbing, don't assume he caused this.
That's a good point. Might be totally unrelated to anything he did. I'll reserve judgement.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Boondockian

Trade: Getting the job done
Rewards Points: 1,018

From the pics, I'd say it was more than gas leak. I don't see anything that appears burned in the pics, which I would expect from a gas leak. Looks more like some sort of pressure wave hit it.
Captain Howdy: We must all go through a rite of passage, and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustincoc
From the pics, I'd say it was more than gas leak. I don't see anything that appears burned in the pics, which I would expect from a gas leak. Looks more like some sort of pressure wave hit it.
Gas explosions can put the self out I have seen a couple of the insides of flats where it blew the external wall out yet no sign of burns anywhere.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #11
90%-er

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post
This is exactly why i will not touch propane lines for any reason! I have customers get upset with me, even my helper is like "we can do this" but i flat out refuse to do it. Way too much risk IMO. I know LP is quite safe to work with and rarely do problems occur but i still will not risk it. Call a certified tech who is properly insured is what i tell them.

If something were to happen where a loss of life happened due to my negligence i do not know what i would do.
I'm the same way. I get asked all the time about gas line jobs and I know I can handle it conceptually, but it's just flat out above my pay grade. I always politely refer them to a plumber Licensed to work with gas lines. Just not worth the money for the risk man
Old 12-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #12
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,630

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchuck2 View Post

LP is down right dangerous compared to natural gas.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner10 View Post

LP is down right dangerous compared to natural gas.
How? Natural gas has more btu's per unit doesn't it? Just curious.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyb525 View Post

How? Natural gas has more btu's per unit doesn't it? Just curious.
Less...but that's not the problem. Propane is less buoyant than air and it settles, methane is lighter and rises up and finds it's way out of your home.
flashheatingand (12-02-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (12-02-2013), onthelevel (12-07-2013), rselectric1 (12-02-2013)
Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #15
stacker of sticks

Trade: home remodeling, new construction
Rewards Points: 590

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyb525 View Post
Spray it down with soapy water to ensure no leaks. Is it that hard to do?
That doesn't work as well as you think it does.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #16
Pro

Thanks for letting me know, both of you. Apparently I was taught wrong (no surprise).

Old 12-01-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

If you know what you are doing LP isn't any different than natural gas.

According to statistics the biggest threat are non-licensed plumbers cross contaminating potable water with sewage etc.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 10

I bet a bunch of these are caused by CSST. If you dont know what that is it is Corregrated Stainless Steel Tubing it is thin stainless tune with a plastic covering. I am not a HVAC contractor but did work for one so I felt comfortable doing my own gas line for a new stove. I did the research on this product because it would have made it really easy to do. But what I learned was scary! The problem with this stuff is that it is pretty thin so you can bend it around corners. When installing this stuff you can not let it touch any metal because if there is lightning and the house is not bonded correctly the lighting travels up the pipe finds the metal its touching and arcs to it making a small whole in the pipe. At this point two very bad things will happen eather you have a blow torch if the gas comming out has been lit or you have a whole in your gas pipe and it fills your house up until it finds a source of ignition. They sell this stuff to Joe the home owner at Home Depot and is much easier to install then black pipe and cheaper. Also to the guy who said to bubble check it that is not a very safe way of checking your work. I have done reading on the subject and I have been told stories about guys bubble checking lines then going back and presure checking them and finding a leak. When I put the gas line in my house I found a couple reducers untill I got the pipe to fit a air fitting and put a shut off valve on too. I used my air compressor to fill the line with 125lbs of air and I did this with the new stove in place because I also read about guys finding leaks in new apliences. That side held the presure. Then I checked the other side of the line (from the shut off on the meter to where it comes into the house and found a leak in the pipe I didnt touch and is underground. Went outside and I could hear the air comming out of the gas meter. Went to look and there was a 2 inch crack in the body of the meter! Called the gas company and they came and replaced it. I wonder how much gas went into the air that we paid for? Any way my point is if I just bubble checked it I never would have found that leak by the road. And it gives me piece of mind that if my gas line will hold 125 lbs it will hold the 1 or 2 lbs pressure your gas line is.

Last edited by Diggity; 12-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
Contractor of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggity View Post
I bet a bunch of these are caused by CSST. If you dont know what that is it is Corregrated Stainless Steel Tubing it is thin stainless tune with a plastic covering. I am not a HVAC contractor but did work for one so I felt comfortable doing my own gas line for a new stove. I did the research on this product because it would have made it really easy to do. But what I learned was scary! The problem with this stuff is that it is pretty thin so you can bend it around corners. When installing this stuff you can not let it touch any metal because if there is lightning and the house is not bonded correctly the lighting travels up the pipe finds the metal its touching and arcs to it making a small whole in the pipe. At this point two very bad things will happen eather you have a blow torch if the gas comming out has been lit or you have a whole in your gas pipe and it fills your house up until it finds a source of ignition. They sell this stuff to Joe the home owner at Home Depot and is much easier to install then black pipe and cheaper.
Cheaper than black iron? Not in material.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,068

I've got the stainless corrugated going in my home remodel right now. We tip toe around it.
Did you see the woman's husband was out of town at the time. Uh oh.

Advertisement