When Someone YELLS AT YOU - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

When Someone YELLS AT YOU

Old 11-14-2018, 02:35 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: roofing and other envied trades
Rewards Points: 1,266

When Someone YELLS AT YOU

Im working on this project that has a lot of artist and contractors coming and going and the lady running the show doesnt know sh....

She has zero construction knowledge, cant make up her mind about anything and even if she does and you build it, the next day someone else has torn it down because they were ordered to paint behind it, Anyway, she tells me this wall will be painted in the morning. Im supposed to build clouds all across this wall and the adjacent wall. Ive been up there 3 times thinking the wall was done and each time shes like oh yeah.. and she will run ask the dude who is painting to do it and he says hes waiting on mud to dry or he hasnt sanded bla bla... anyway, ive hired this dude before and he did a chit job and all he talks about is how awesome he is and he can do anything... i got rid of him on day 2 because he gave me the creeps and i just dont like guys like that. because they usually suck and you cant tell them chit so they never get better because they refuse to hear anything anyone has to say. They have been doing it wrong from the start.
this dude hasnt put 2 and 2 together yet, probably because I have a different color hair now, but as far as he knows, we dont know eachother.

anyway today i get up there and the walls not painted.again. this asshole ripped my clouds off the adjacent wall so he could put his ladder there, but these clouds are big and they are all connected and they took a long time to get up on the wall.. i built frames then covered the frames with chicken wire and shaped them then had to sew batting to the chickenwire and spray glue cotton onto the batting. This mf rips the **** off the wall, and throws it on the floor from 13 feet in the air.. he didnt unscrew the frame and move it, he just broke the **** all to hell, ripped the chickenwire off two other clouds, then he scoots the entire set of steps and couch across the floor and gouges out the flooring.. i thought about walking over to where he was working and kicking a hole in the sheetrock he just hung. but at the time i didnt know who had done it because after he ripped all my **** off the wall he wasnt even working on, he left. I showed up later.

so today, i get there and the wall still wasnt painted. i asked the owner lady who was working on that wall and were they going to come paint it so i could finish my job, and she goes and gets him and he says hes still waiting on mud to dry. So an hour or 2 goes by and im looking at the wall and i see a crack about 2 feet long thats not mudded. along with about 20 screws he missed and 16 feet of caulk he used to tape another seam. so i go get him and ask him where the mud is.. mind you he says hes done with the wall and waiting for it to dry so he might as well be waiting on all the mud to dry at the same time. this is how the convo went

me- hey can you put some mud in this crack so it can be drying too, or tell me where the mud is and ill do it myself

him- i sanding this whole wall the mud is drying i cant make it dry faster you want it to dry faster then i need a heater that cost 1500 from home depot, you go buy the heater and the mud will dry faster

me- ok i understand that. im not saying anything about the mud drying faster, i just need this one crack mudded, it will take 2 seconds

him- you go finish your work IM WORKING ON THIS WALL i DO EVERYTHING EVERYTHING FINISHED

ME- yeah i under---

him HAVE YOU FINISHED YOUR JOB YET GO WORK ON YOUR JOB DONT TELL ME HOW TO DO MY JOB YOU GO BUY ME A HEATER DONT TELL ME ****, YOU WANT TO DO IT, YOU THINK YOU CAN DO BETTER THEN YOU DO IT I QUIT I DONT NEED THIS ****.

me- I CANT FINISH MY JOB UNTIL YOU PAINT THIS WALL, IF YOURE FINISHED SANDING, THE MUD IS DRY AND ITS READY FOR PAINT.

HIM MUMBLE MUMBLE ARMS FLAILING ABOUT LIKE MICHAEL FLATLEY IN LORD OF THE DANCE CUSSING ME UNDER HIS BREATH IN SPANISH TRYING TO RALLY PEOPLE ON HIS SIDE BY TELLING THEM HOW HE KNOWS WHAT HES IS DOING AND I DONT KNOW ****

ME ok whatever tell me where the mud is and i will do it

by this time everyone in the building was quiet and we were yelling at eachother and he was packing up his **** telling the owner that she needed to take him home right now he was leaving bla bla bla

and the owner says, um im not taking you anywhere, you want to leave go ahead and leave but im not stopping my day to take you home at 2 pm. he is acting like he is the only sheetrocker on the planet telling her i dont know **** but if i think i can do it then let me do it and see how it looks im not even a real contractor bla bla bla... and i said what did you just say?? im not a real contractor? LOL REALLY, DO YOU HAVE A LICENSE ARE YOU REGISTERED WITH THE STATE no I DONT THINK SO YOU DONT EVEN HAVE A ****ING CAR AND YOU STAND ON THE CORNER LOOKING FOR WORK AND YOU HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS CUZ THATS WHERE I FOUND YOU AND LET YOU COME WORK FOR ME 4 YEARS AGO AND FIRED YOU THE SECOND DAY CUZ YOU WERE SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS. YOU DONT EVEN HAVE YOUR OWN TOOLS! WHO MUDS A ****ING WALL WITH CAULK AND 20 MIN MUD ANYWAY?? AND THEN SANDS IT WITH AN ORBITAL SANDER? YOU COATED THIS ENTIRE PLACE IN SHEETROCK DUST, AND YOU SEE ALL THOSE DOORS OVER THERE LAYING ON CHAIRS? THEY WERE WET WITH PAINT AND YOU RUINED THEM AND THE OTHER PAINTER HAD TO RESAND THEM AND REPAINT THEM BECAUSE OF YOU. YOUR WORKSTATION IS A ****ING MESS, EVERYONE IS BITCHING ABOUT HAVING TO LITERALLY CLIMB OVER YOUR **** TO GET IN AND OUT OF THE BUILDING. WE HAVE ALL BEEN WORKING ON THIS PLACE FOR 4 MONTHS AND YOU COME IN HERE AND **** ALL OVER EVERYONES PROJECTS AND THEN START CRYING TO THE OWNER DEMANDING A FULL DAYS PAY AND FOR HER TO STOP WHAT SHES DOING AND TAKE YOU HOME. YOU THINK ANYONE GIVES A **** IF YOU LEAVE? GO! GET THE **** OUT OF HERE EDDIE SPAGETTI MOTHER ****ER! By the way, i already mudded that crack it took me 2 seconds and when thats dry in 2 minutes Im going to paint this ****ing wall that ive been waiting on you to paint for 3 days so I can finish my project!

20 contractors the owner and her boyfriend, 3 office people and a few artist and not a sound... it was so quite you could hear a mouse fart. he storms out the back door with his bucket and sheetrock knife and comes back 3 minutes later begging for his job back, explaining how he could do odd jobs or do whatever until 5 pm cuz he needed the money and he was already there and planned on working til 5.

she told him I dont give a **** if you stay or go, but if somebody asks you to do something so that they can keep progress moving, just do it. And dont go near her. she is going to finish that wall now. you are done in there. and he didnt say another word to anyone the rest of the day.

All that over something that literally took me 2 seconds to do. one swipe of mud. smh. i went ahead and filled all the nail holes and corners, painted the wall 20 feet high, let it dry, painted it a second coat, built my frames and started putting up my chicken wire and left at 6 pm. that dumbass dont know I can tape and bed with my feet better than half the professionals out there. Its like some people can draw, some sing, some build, well I was born with a golden sheetrock knife in my hand.

anyway, Im not a confrontational person...i used to not be anyhow. But that guy ... man when he started yelling at me I just lost my ****.
I know guys get in fights on the jobsite all the time... then they just go back to work, this pansy literally thru a hissy fit and was going to lose his job as day labor over a crack. what a baby.

i hope he shows up tomorrow so I can jump his **** again.

wait my purpose in telling you this story was to ask how you remain calm when dealing with someone like that. i knew this dude that no matter what he was always calm and smiled when he talked to you.. I heard a guy yellin at the top of his lungs over the phone at this guy and he was still smiling and calm and told the guy he could call the cops if he wanted to, in fact he should call the fbi and homeland security if he wanted but he still was going to finish his coffee and breakfast before he did anything else that morning... i just died laughing when he said that. and instead of making 30 someodd people buttclenchin uncomfortable at work today, I could have just made them laugh and been in a good mood myself. do you have to talk yourself in to staying calm? how does that work? i mean when you are fighting mad about something... do yall just fight or do you have to really hold yourself back
The Following User Says Thank You to madrina For This Useful Post:
Defenestrate (11-17-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-14-2018, 02:58 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,702

Re: When Someone YELLS AT YOU

Keep smiling. You can always chuckle if the guy is that stupid. Mentally, think and act like you're in control of the situation, even if you're not. When you get pissed, talk slower and softer.

Try not to let things build up too much, say something earlier. You can tell them if they keep it up, you're going to nail their feet to the floor, but say it smiling with your whole face, not one if those fake smiles. Saying it softly is probably a good idea, you never know who may be listening.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (11-16-2018), madrina (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:12 AM   #3
Pro

M, what do you expect, the guy is a day laborer with no skills that wants to sabotage the job so he keeps getting paid. Job gets finished, he's back on the corner hoping for work. He just hopes people swallow his bs so he doesn't get fired again.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
sunkist (11-14-2018)

Old 11-14-2018, 03:22 AM   #4
Pro

When I get really pissed, I don't say anything. If I'm just irate, I can talk fine.

You learn fast that if you open your mouth, someone is going to pop one or more of your teeth through your skin if they connect. Even if it's just the inside layer, it bleeds like crazy.

I'm pretty good at keeping from getting really pissed, but every once in a while it happens. The last time my gf was there, and she just told the guy I was deaf.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Joasis (11-15-2018), SmallTownGuy (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:31 AM   #5
Pro

If you're already pissed, go take a whiz or something, and get yourself collected. Then come back with the right mental attitude.

The first step is probably thinking "What do I expect from an idiot?!" Seems to work for me....
Old 11-14-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 336

Sure glad my jobs don't have that kinda drama.When they do, I pack my tools & leave. Lifes too short
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
blacktop (11-14-2018), Deckhead (11-14-2018), deckman22 (11-14-2018), goneelkn (11-14-2018), Jaws (11-14-2018), Joasis (11-15-2018), rustyjames (11-14-2018), SmallTownGuy (11-14-2018), sunkist (11-14-2018), TxElectrician (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:39 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 2,592

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
Sure glad my life don't have that kinda drama. Lifes too short
FIFY

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TxElectrician For This Useful Post:
Jaws (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:09 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,108

I too would have had to leave otherwise someone would be calling the cops. Never tolerated someone yelling at me.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 17,627

Sounds like classic backstage theater drama, and I have a hunch they've seen it before.

How do you build the clouds, anyway?
Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 31,114

At first I was going to say that maybe he did remember you after reading he ripped your stuff off the wall and was telling you to go get the heater, but then I read the rest...

In a situation like that, look at them (smile if you want), and when they're done with their rant, calmly tell them...

"NONE of that tirade is a going to hide the fact that you screwed up. Now that your hissy fit is over, the question now is what are YOU going to do to fix it, because it's getting done one way or the other, with or without you! None of us have time for this BS"...

But I gotta' say Madrina, based on the situation and your past experience with him, and the fact that he ripped your work off the wall, can't say I wouldn't have been less than calm...

Felt my blood pressure go up just reading it...
Old 11-14-2018, 07:54 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,904

Did you tell him he was getting back charged for ripping your clouds off the wall?

BTW, what is this job? You gotta post some pictures.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #12
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 3,886

So when are you going to back charge him for the work of yours he destroyed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 11-14-2018, 09:14 AM   #13
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,916

I can only think of a couple instances where I was yelled at as an adult, all were in places I shouldn't have been and a fight ensued. LOL.

My response to someone yelling at me would be unfavorable.

John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (11-14-2018), Joasis (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 1,412

If I'm in a nice mood, someone gets to raise their voice at me once.

Then they get a warning.

They won't get a second.

I must admit that I didn't read that whole post. So maybe I'm out to lunch here, but it seems that you keep having these jobs that go completely sideways, with no one really in charge, lots of drama, and, quite frankly, lots of unprofessionalism.

I've mentioned this before, but if you want to be a GC, you have to get control of your jobs. That's clients, employees, subs, suppliers, everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seven-Delta-FortyOne For This Useful Post:
pinwheel (11-14-2018), SmallTownGuy (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
Pro

It isn't her job, she's just doing a small part of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
Seven-Delta-FortyOne (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
So when are you going to back charge him for the work of yours he destroyed?
Shiat, I would have immediately given the GC or owner a bill and left. Would not do over until paid for the first go round if I did not know them or work for them before. Afterall, they were the dumbarse that hired the bozo.

You can't back charge a day laborer. It would be pointless cause they either can't or wouldn't pay. Leaving with a fat lip and dotted eye might have been good enough payment tho.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 3,886

Either way she should be paid for her time, buy the dumbazz or the GC. If I was the GC I'd take it from his pay, he needs a lesson on how to do things and that'll hurt enough where he'll remember it.

She should also come back with her hair the original color just to piss this guy off on the day he get his reduced check

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (11-14-2018), hdavis (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 05:19 PM   #18
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 147

A few weeks ago, My daughter, a teacher, was dealing with a parent who had come unglued. She had contemplated stooping to the level of the parent, but instead chose to keep her cool, and deal with it calmly. In the end, everything worked out well. I told her that when you take the high road, there really is no downside. Of course for me, I don't always follow my own advice, but when I think back to all the times I did, the results were consistently good.

Easy Gibson
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
Fixed (11-16-2018), hdavis (11-14-2018), Jaws (11-14-2018), TxElectrician (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:29 PM   #19
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,510

I find myself asking this question.

Why is it that Madrina is about the only one I will read this much of a rant all the way through to the end?

Then I realize, "oh right, she is totally hot".

Andy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ScipioAfricanus For This Useful Post:
asevereid (11-15-2018), Fixed (11-16-2018), Mordekyle (11-14-2018), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (11-14-2018), tgeb (11-14-2018), VinylHanger (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
A few weeks ago, My daughter, a teacher, was dealing with a parent who had come unglued. She had contemplated stooping to the level of the parent, but instead chose to keep her cool, and deal with it calmly. In the end, everything worked out well. I told her that when you take the high road, there really is no downside. Of course for me, I don't always follow my own advice, but when I think back to all the times I did, the results were consistently good.

Fake outrage has its place, though. I wouldn't use it too often, and you generally should avoid it if you're supposed to be the professional.

Advertisement