What Is "normal" Now Where You Are? - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

What Is "normal" Now Where You Are?

Old 09-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,332

What Is "normal" Now Where You Are?

Attended a softball game yesterday.....probably a few hundred people there....saw 2 elderly people with masks on. Beautiful day.....just like 2019.....

Later, at a restaurant, servers with macks....no one else.

Basically, no matter what the Oklahoma Department of Health says, people are done with the fear and hype. When the CDC admitted that Covid deaths, not co-morbidity causes, were less then 10k, it seems like that was the end. We do see people who have health issues with masks...and that is it.

Oh yeah, we still work every day, as we have since this started. Never took a day off to stay home either.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
jproffer (09-15-2020), Kowboy (09-13-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 8,964

Re: What Is "normal" Now Where You Are?

People are wearing masks often inside but not really outside. What was weird was the hospital and not allowing visitors except me after the baby was born. Normally everyone comes to see the new addition, but it was quite relaxing.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,332

Anger and resentment is growing by the week here over nursing homes and hospitals being locked down to family members.....old people dying alone without even having a chance to say goodbye to their family. Heartbreaking. And cannot be proven to be beneficial to anyone.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joasis For This Useful Post:
deckman22 (09-13-2020), META (09-13-2020), overanalyze (Yesterday), pinwheel (09-13-2020), spazman (09-13-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
Anger and resentment is growing by the week here over nursing homes and hospitals being locked down to family members.....old people dying alone without even having a chance to say goodbye to their family. Heartbreaking. And cannot be proven to be beneficial to anyone.
The nurse said that if someone is terminal here they will be allowed two caregivers visitation.
Old 09-13-2020, 08:51 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 34

Indoor dining if the place has not gone bankrupt at 25% of capacity just started last week, every retail business you go into you must wear a mask, giant plastic shields between you and cashier, still shortages on weird things, some towns mandate masks outdoors, some people even wear them while driving alone.

Many small businesses are gone. Schools are a mess, more than half are not open for in person teaching, ones that are open close if 1 person tests positive. Most schools that are open have split classes every other day. Most high schools sports are stopped until next spring, even sports like tennis and cross country

There are even a few people who have not left their house since the middle of March, they are terrified.

And our Gov. who sent Covid patients into nursing homes where 6500 people died has set up a snitch line to rat out people

https://covid19.nj.gov/forms/violation
Old 09-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
Indoor dining if the place has not gone bankrupt at 25% of capacity just started last week, every retail business you go into you must wear a mask, giant plastic shields between you and cashier, still shortages on weird things, some towns mandate masks outdoors, some people even wear them while driving alone.

Many small businesses are gone. Schools are a mess, more than half are not open for in person teaching, ones that are open close if 1 person tests positive. Most schools that are open have split classes every other day. Most high schools sports are stopped until next spring, even sports like tennis and cross country

There are even a few people who have not left their house since the middle of March, they are terrified.

And our Gov. who sent Covid patients into nursing homes where 6500 people died has set up a snitch line to rat out people

https://covid19.nj.gov/forms/violation
Those two governors should be in jail.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 34

Forgot one- wait time as of last week at motor vehicle can be more than a day. People are still getting on line at 3am to get a slip at 8am allowing them in, not all get in that day.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:49 AM   #8

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 144

My 95 year old mother passed away about a month ago. She did NOT have COVID, at least according to the 3 hospital tests. However, my belief is she passed away BECAUSE of Covid. She was in an assisted living facility. Once they locked down in March, it was the isolation that I think convinced her she didn't want to live like that. I saw her once from March until she passed the end of July. The ALF more or less confined everyone to their rooms. Meals were brought to them. So, she couldn't do much. At this age, walking is the most exercise they can get. Of course, if you can't get out of your room, that's tough.

Do I understand the lockdown? Yes. Did anyone seem to care about the mental aspects of it? No. That's why I will not vote for our current governor when he comes up for reelection.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dbbii2 For This Useful Post:
Joasis (09-13-2020), KAP (09-16-2020), rrk (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbii2 View Post
My 95 year old mother passed away about a month ago. She did NOT have COVID, at least according to the 3 hospital tests. However, my belief is she passed away BECAUSE of Covid. She was in an assisted living facility. Once they locked down in March, it was the isolation that I think convinced her she didn't want to live like that. I saw her once from March until she passed the end of July. The ALF more or less confined everyone to their rooms. Meals were brought to them. So, she couldn't do much. At this age, walking is the most exercise they can get. Of course, if you can't get out of your room, that's tough.

Do I understand the lockdown? Yes. Did anyone seem to care about the mental aspects of it? No. That's why I will not vote for our current governor when he comes up for reelection.
Good for you.

Here, the first thing they did was put strict protocols on old folks homes. Allowed limited visitation but strict on employees for being able to enter the building and instead of locking them down, if tested positive they quarantined them in the hospital as quickly as possible and did not allow them to return until 2 negative tests.

It baffled me as to how someone could think, locking up folks in a bedroom who desperately need exercise and sunshine, came about as a good idea. Meanwhile sharing the same air circulation system. Top notch governors
Old 09-13-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Those two governors should be in jail.
You'd get no argument from me if they brought back public hanging or the firing squad for them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Joasis (09-13-2020), spazman (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 3,908

Delaware...

Fast food dining sections are open...for take out only.

Masks still required in retail stores.

I still see the paranoid sheep wearing masks in their car. One guy yesterday putting gas in his car...wearing a mask.

Talking with my niece yesterday. She is a high school psychologist and mother to my 8 year old grand-nice. I got lost in her trying to tell me how everything is supposed to work. Seems like you'd need a spreadsheet to figure out who goes to school, who stays home, etc, etc... She, along with a lot of others had to invest in laptops for the kids.

My customers aren't wearing masks except for shopping. No one has requested that I wear one.

One customer had to take her almost 80 year old husband to Wilmington (1.5 hours away) for eye surgery. She wasn't allowed in the hospital with him for what turned out to be a 3 hour pre & post surgery. Wasn't even allowed in to use the bathroom. Her husband is legally blind and relies on her for a lot, not the least of which is moral support, doctor/nurse communications, etc.

So, it's SNAFU here. Needlessly SNAFU.

― Will Durant
Old 09-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 1,698

The C&C run brain washing ads on the radio all day long and most of the people have bought it hook line & sinker. They have hired military to police it and are giving out 2,000$ and 5,000$ tickets to the people.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
spazman

Trade: floorcovering installer
Rewards Points: 152

The local city council has mandated that masks be worn in all retail businesses over ten thousand square feet. Under ten thousand it’s up to the business. Can anyone explain how that makes any sense?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spazman For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (09-13-2020), Joasis (09-14-2020), pinwheel (09-13-2020), rrk (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 5,456

I wear a mask when I go indoors because that’s the requirement my local coffee shop I don’t have to and my customers don’t wear them, I think it’s reached the end of the fake alert level!
Old 09-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #15
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 17,727

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Good for you.

Here, the first thing they did was put strict protocols on old folks homes. Allowed limited visitation but strict on employees for being able to enter the building and instead of locking them down, if tested positive they quarantined them in the hospital as quickly as possible and did not allow them to return until 2 negative tests.

It baffled me as to how someone could think, locking up folks in a bedroom who desperately need exercise and sunshine, came about as a good idea. Meanwhile sharing the same air circulation system. Top notch governors
He's not voting for Ron DeSantis
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 09-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazman View Post
The local city council has mandated that masks be worn in all retail businesses over ten thousand square feet. Under ten thousand it’s up to the business. Can anyone explain how that makes any sense?
Just as much sense as when you have indoor sit down dining you have to wear a mask to enter the restaurant but as soon as you sit down you can take it off.

Where's that :shoot myself in the head: emoticon?
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
KAP (09-16-2020), spazman (09-13-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #17
LRG WoodCrafting

I have a client that comes to my shop and wears a mask. I've told him he doesn't have to, I'm clean. He's anti-Trump, explains that. All the others who have come to my shop come prepared with a mask and I tell them I don't want them wearing it and they are relieved and take them off immediately.

Stores around here for the most part require masks. I wear them because that's their own rules, private business and all and if that's what they want and I want to shop there I'll wear the mask. I walk in without it and put it on when I'm in the store. As soon as my transaction is completed it's off as I'm walking out. In HD if I'm alone in the isle it's off. For the most part it HD or grocery shopping. My plywood supplier really doesn't allow you into the building anymore. When the guys come to give me my stuff they are wearing masks, I'm not.

Not a chance I'm wearing one outside, and no way in hell am I wearing one while I'm alone. Who are these idiots and how scared do you have to be to wear a mask alone?

My mask is one of the simple stiff dust masks that are the older style that was for the most part all that was offered. It was probably 10 years old and kicking around in my shop. It literally does almost nothing and I wear it for cosmetics.

I think it's this cheap azz mask, but this one looks more sturdy

WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.

Last edited by Leo G; 09-13-2020 at 07:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (Yesterday)
Old 09-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #18
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 20,324

I've started ignoring the dog and pony show for indoor dining. Either we're ok with it or we're not. What the hell is the 5 feet from the door to the table going to change?
Nobody cares. Sample size: 3 diners.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #19
LRG WoodCrafting

Yep, dumbest thing ever.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4

Masks are required in Indiana, last time is was back there went to dinner with a friend. We walked in unmasked, owners said to us "welcome in, you want to sit outside, at a table or the bar".

They did have the order required "mask required to enter" on the door. The staff did have masks on, hanging around their necks.

Tom

Advertisement