Well I Did It - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Well I Did It

Old 01-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 85

Well I Did It

Well I did it. I sold my trucks, vans, large tools etc.

I've been driving trucks for over 20 years. Now that I am retiring from construction and currently just finishing up my degree in psychology I have no need to drive a large gas guzzling truck anymore. So I sold all of them and bought a car.

Its so weird driving a car. I did go with a larger type car to help ease the transition but still a little strange.

I bought a pontiac bonneville. What a nice driving car. So smooth, nice riding. No tools clanging behind me. No trailer in my rear view. Very fast and loaded with options. And the best part, I drove it all last week and filled up yesterday, it took $24!

I still miss the trucks but this will do me good for now. After I graduate I plan on starting my new career with a new vehicle. At that time I will have to decide what will work for me at that point best. Probably an suv but who knows, maybe I will start getting use to car and want to stick with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to K&K Carpentry For This Useful Post:
slowsol (01-18-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

Re: Well I Did It

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&K Carpentry
Well I did it. I sold my trucks, vans, large tools etc. I've been driving trucks for over 20 years. Now that I am retiring from construction and currently just finishing up my degree in psychology I have no need to drive a large gas guzzling truck anymore. So I sold all of them and bought a car. Its so weird driving a car. I did go with a larger type car to help ease the transition but still a little strange. I bought a pontiac bonneville. What a nice driving car. So smooth, nice riding. No tools clanging behind me. No trailer in my rear view. Very fast and loaded with options. And the best part, I drove it all last week and filled up yesterday, it took $24! I still miss the trucks but this will do me good for now. After I graduate I plan on starting my new career with a new vehicle. At that time I will have to decide what will work for me at that point best. Probably an suv but who knows, maybe I will start getting use to car and want to stick with them.
My wife's a psychologist. Its def interesting lol. Don't know if I could ever put down the tools though if I stopped construction. I would prob buy more tools and keep the ones I have. Good luck on the new adventure. if you thought you worked long ours in construction wait till you start that new job. My wife brings work home ever night and weekend.

Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 13,082

Good for you, dude.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 85

It is so weird. I have been turning down a ton of jobs. I have 3 contractors that I have been recommending and all three are busy from my jobs. Course if I was at it full time like before my phone would be dead, LOL

With college and work study it doesn't really leave much time to do any side jobs. So I have been giving them all away.

I am going to be doing just small drywall jobs, figure the little extra money will come in handy. And I love finishing drywall, has always been my favorite thing to do.
Of course now when I show up to mud l will be arriving in my car, no big work van or truck for me.

I actually was going threw my drywall stuff earlier today cause I got a small job next weekend (small bedroom to finish) and I will be carrying 2 tool bags in total which fit in my trunk with no problems. I also will be showing up with a small 4' stand and 4' ladder. All of which fit into my large truck out of the way.

I don't plan on doing a lot on the side but its nice having the years of experience and knowledge to be able to make a few bucks here and there as needed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to K&K Carpentry For This Useful Post:
hdavis (01-18-2014), Jaws (01-18-2014), mikeswoods (01-19-2014), SmallTownGuy (01-19-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 09:21 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling and some new construction
Rewards Points: 972

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&K Carpentry View Post
Of course now when I show up to mud l will be arriving in my car, no big work van or truck for me.

Just hope your car doesn't start looking like Blacktop's truck...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian Peters For This Useful Post:
Dustincoc (01-20-2014), Eric K (01-18-2014)