We Will Never Forget September 11, 2001 - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

We Will Never Forget September 11, 2001

Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
Texas Strong

Trade: Administrator
Rewards Points: 14,348

We Will Never Forget September 11, 2001

We Will Never Forget September 11, 2001-neverforget2.jpg

We will never forget...

I also want to remember how we came together as a country the following day. We weren't Democrats or Republicans, Liberals or Conservatives. We were simply human beings coming together, united as one. We were Americans.

This thread is not intended for political rhetoric. If you feel the need to make it controversial, take it to P&R. In this thread, we will remember those we lost.
griz (09-11-2019), Jonbuild (09-10-2019), KAP (09-10-2019), M.F Custom (09-13-2019), Rio (09-11-2019), Robie (09-10-2019), rrk (09-10-2019), rselectric1 (09-10-2019), rustyjames (09-10-2019), Snobnd (09-10-2019), spazman (09-11-2019), tgeb (09-10-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 178

Re: We Will Never Forget September 11, 2001

Jake Yancarelli came up to me before my Creative Writing in college. I was with my girlfriend at the time and remember saying, "what moron couldn't see the tower?" Kinda of jokingly made fun of whatever idiot flew a celina into the tower.

Went into class and my professor had a kid in one of the building and **** got real. I felt horrible for passing it off as a moron when the second plane hit. Professor told us just to go ahead and leave cause she was worried about her son. We sat in the parking lot that day and were a mile and a half from the airport Bush left. Never seen an airplane circle so fast so high up.

Then that was the last plane we saw for 3 days. I'll never forget it. All classes were canceled after that class and me and my girlfriend were glued to the tv in my room.

It was one of those few situations every couple generations, as it was happening, you knew 300 million other people would know and remember that exact same moment. I wish we all could remember how we felt for one another that day.

God bless America, we were the people we ARE on that day! We'll get back to that. America is great because Americans are good.

Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 08:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,988

On 9/11/2001 I was doing a kitchen in a town where many of the residents worked in NJ due to the close proximity to commuter trains. The section of town where I was working has a clear view of NYC, and the lady whose house I was working on said she knew of 3 people near her who worked in the towers.

Just this year I did a kitchen for a 9/11 widow in the same town, she had talked to her husband after the plane hit and he said they were told to stay in their offices. He was going to leave shorty anyway, that was the last she heard from him. He worked at the firm for 3 weeks, he left another firm to take this job and his boss ( another customer of mine ) cancelled his non compete clause in his contract so he could work there.

He had 2 young children 5 & 8 who were taken out of school and were brought to the other customers house, when that guy got home the younger one asked where her dad was because she knew they worked together. Up until 3 weeks ago.

Nothing of his was ever found, absolutely nothing. She said she did not sleep for 2 weeks expecting him to walk through the door, for the next 3 years she expected them to find something of his.

I was supposed to go back to her house this week to do a small job, she said come any day but Wednesday.

Everyone in this area knows exactly where they were 18 years ago.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-10-2019), Robie (09-10-2019), Tom M (09-11-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 4,902

The Freeport flag ladies have come out every month since then as a reminder. Thus is the last one, they're getting too old.

They also went to Bangor routinely to see troops off and welcome them back from the middle east.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
On 9/11/2001 I was doing a kitchen in a town where many of the residents worked in NJ due to the close proximity to commuter trains. The section of town where I was working has a clear view of NYC, and the lady whose house I was working on said she knew of 3 people near her who worked in the towers.

Just this year I did a kitchen for a 9/11 widow in the same town, she had talked to her husband after the plane hit and he said they were told to stay in their offices. He was going to leave shorty anyway, that was the last she heard from him. He worked at the firm for 3 weeks, he left another firm to take this job and his boss ( another customer of mine ) cancelled his non compete clause in his contract so he could work there.

He had 2 young children 5 & 8 who were taken out of school and were brought to the other customers house, when that guy got home the younger one asked where her dad was because she knew they worked together. Up until 3 weeks ago.

Nothing of his was ever found, absolutely nothing. She said she did not sleep for 2 weeks expecting him to walk through the door, for the next 3 years she expected them to find something of his.

I was supposed to go back to her house this week to do a small job, she said come any day but Wednesday.

Everyone in this area knows exactly where they were 18 years ago.
Wow. Thats a great but terrifying story.

Couldn't imagine being that close.

I think the entire country remembers that exact moment. It's like time stopped and everyone took a picture of their lives and we all can collectively conjure up that picture at any moment.

I remember as a kid hearing my grand parents talk about pearl harbor. They remember the exact moment they heard it and how everything happened afterward. I dont think it happens like that often.

It shows that all of our issues are really family issues because we can be horribly divided but dont **** with our family. Gawd, I love this country.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Wow. Thats a great but terrifying story.

Couldn't imagine being that close.

I think the entire country remembers that exact moment. It's like time stopped and everyone took a picture of their lives and we all can collectively conjure up that picture at any moment.

I remember as a kid hearing my grand parents talk about pearl harbor. They remember the exact moment they heard it and how everything happened afterward. I dont think it happens like that often.

It shows that all of our issues are really family issues because we can be horribly divided but dont **** with our family. Gawd, I love this country.
In the following days there was no way into the city, tractor trailers were parked on the side of all roads leading into the city even 20 miles away. All gloves, buckets, shovels and bottled water was sent in from all stores in a 30 mile radius. Our local school which is 50 miles away sent a dump truck in filled with 2 pallets of water, the people in charge asked them to stay and ferry in more supplies for the next 20 hours. There were fire trucks and ambulances form all over lined up at the tunnels waiting to be sent in.

If anyone is ever near NYC make time to seek the 9/11 museum, the line seems long but it goes fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #7
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post
In the following days there was no way into the city, tractor trailers were parked on the side of all roads leading into the city even 20 miles away. All gloves, buckets, shovels and bottled water was sent in from all stores in a 30 mile radius. Our local school which is 50 miles away sent a dump truck in filled with 2 pallets of water, the people in charge asked them to stay and ferry in more supplies for the next 20 hours. There were fire trucks and ambulances form all over lined up at the tunnels waiting to be sent in.

If anyone is ever near NYC make time to seek the 9/11 museum, the line seems long but it goes fast.
Never really planned on staying in NYC before in my early life but I'd like to make it to the 20th anniversary now that I realize its hallowed ground. I have been wanting to make it up to that area for a daycation for a while now. I wont spend a lot of time in the city as that isnt really my thing but I realize I'm missing a lot by not spending at least 9ne night and a couple days in the big places.

I think my kids need to see it at least once and on the 20th my kids will be old enough to understand it when I tell them the story...

Last edited by Deckhead; 09-10-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 4,112

I went into New York City to visit engine company one hazmat Queensborough New,York, over 30 years ago I worked with the captain of the fire house on a rescue operation to retrieve the bodies of 28 construction workers several who I worked with on school projects, none of the guys made it out of the building alive , The captain went on to become battalion chief and he perished in the collapse of the towers.

I paid my respect to the fire House and spoke with many of the guys who had no idea that their chief worked on one of the largest rescue operations prior to 9/11.

Never forget
Deckhead (09-10-2019), hdavis (09-10-2019), Robie (09-10-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #9
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,654

I was at a business meeting at a GC's office that morning. There were about a dozen of us seated at a table when a secretary came in and said "the hairs on the back of my neck are standing up and I think you guys should hear this". With that she wheeled in the television and we all watched it unfold. Everyone watched in silence and shock. The meeting was basically over. An ominus feeling permeated. My wife of course called me "yes I heard" I said. I can not remember the rest of that day other than listening to constant news reports. Fear was in the air....what's next?
Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:21 PM   #10

It still chokes me up and it's so very hard to watch almost 20 years later.

WARNING: GRAPHIC

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Home improvement of all types
Rewards Points: 2,744

I knew then what people felt like after Pearl Harbor. I had a knot in my stomach for weeks .

I was late leaving for work that morning and heard on the television when the first plane hit , I stopped what I was doing and watched .

Then the second plane hit , there was no doubt this was deliberate at that moment.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:54 PM   #12

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,094

That warm September day and tragedy will NEVER be forgotten!

"...And we may have done a little bit
Of fightin' amongst ourselves
But you outside people best leave us alone
'Cause we'll all stick together
And you can take that to the bank..."

Tomorrow is my son's 13th birthday.

I now look to the day for happier times.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:57 PM   #13

Going through images and video it's difficult to put into words. Truly the darkest most tragic day in American history. So many deaths, so much destruction, even in the truimphs there is profound sadness. The American people deserve the truth
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #14
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 6,524

Quote:
The American people deserve the truth
Quote:
This thread is not intended for political rhetoric. If you feel the need to make it controversial, take it to P&R.
Idothat (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 12:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
Sorry slip got emotional and how could I not couple thosand people perished.

There was a story about an australian photographer who tracked down a woman he found a snapshot of in the rubble. Took him 15 years to find her but he did. She wasn't at work that day but on vacation. Truly heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time. There's lots of stories like this.

I get obsessed about it every year at this time
Old 09-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
Does this pass the sniff test Jack?

https://www.lohud.com/story/opinion/...11/1137572002/
Old 09-11-2019, 12:19 AM   #17

Old 09-11-2019, 01:18 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 11,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
The American people deserve the truth
That could make a good thread.
Irishslave (09-11-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #19
Pro

It was a cool morning with crystal blue sky and not a single cloud in the sky with a slight breeze. It was eerie when there were no other planes in the sky for a few days.

The schools here had a tough time trying to figure out whose parents worked in NY, what to tell them, what to do. They really had to scramble to figure out what to do. Everyone really stepped up to make sure the kids had someplace to go. Parents swarmed the schools picking up the kids.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:47 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Never really planned on staying in NYC before in my early life but I'd like to make it to the 20th anniversary now that I realize its hallowed ground. I have been wanting to make it up to that area for a daycation for a while now. I wont spend a lot of time in the city as that isnt really my thing but I realize I'm missing a lot by not spending at least 9ne night and a couple days in the big places.

I think my kids need to see it at least once and on the 20th my kids will be old enough to understand it when I tell them the story...
It definitely is hallowed ground, a very quiet place no loud talking at the pools. Inside the museum barely any noise at all, people talk in a whisper. There is a special area for family members only.

Don't be shocked by the amount of police around with semi auto rifles, they are everywhere and you get wanded going in.

Advertisement