WA State Petition: Tell Inslee That Construction Is Essential - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

WA State Petition: Tell Inslee That Construction Is Essential

Old 04-01-2020, 10:38 AM   #1
Design Build

Trade: well....that was unpleasant
Rewards Points: 2,684

WA State Petition: Tell Inslee That Construction Is Essential

https://petitionbuilder.org/petition...2kile&ie=UTF-8

For those of you who live in Washington State

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 01:31 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Rewards Points: 1,166

Re: WA State Petition: Tell Inslee That Construction Is Essential

Uh, no.
We're finally getting our numbers down. I can sit this one out, but I know a lot of people are hurting right now and yeah...it sucks to not be making money. If we go back to work too soon we're just going to spread it more and then we're going to be locked down again for even longer.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
Defenestrate (04-02-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 6,838

No shut down in Jersey...yet.
But with numbers like today: Total cases 22,255
Total Deaths 355.

I think it could be in the future.

The thing I wonder about is insurance going to cover damages.
If you had to shut down without drying in, and your down for couple months, not going to be good.

Personally I think they should have let contractors at least somewhat dry in even if its just tarpapering the roof deck.

How will insurance companies treat this I wonder?
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Personally I think they should have let contractors at least somewhat dry in even if its just tarpapering the roof deck.
They did here (and I think in most places too). We were given a day's notice and also allowed to do work after that to secure the sites, and pull equipment.
I dodged a bullet with my clean up and pack up trip that was going to overlap a sub working on another project in the house. That guy didn't show and I later found out he called in sick and went to the hospital.
Still haven't heard if it's definitely coronavirus, but it sounded like it.
TimNJ (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Pro

Some answers in here.
nahbnow.com/2020/04/does-business-interruption-insurance-cover-covid-19-closures/
Old 04-02-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
Design Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Uh, no.
We're finally getting our numbers down. I can sit this one out, but I know a lot of people are hurting right now and yeah...it sucks to not be making money. If we go back to work too soon we're just going to spread it more and then we're going to be locked down again for even longer.
Okay.....you're free to stay home. No one is forcing you to work. That's cool. But others should be allowed to work. This "essential" status defeats the whole lock down theory anyways.

And if you're at home, what do you care if others are out working? They can't infect you...............because you're at home.

We didn't create a system where we surrender our selves to the whims of a select few.....who ALWAYS have their own interests above societies interests.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
Justin Rhoades (04-05-2020), KAP (04-02-2020), Wile E Coyote (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #7
Pro

ok, I get your frustration, and I wanna work too.
I just had a moment last week that really brought it all into focus for me. A sub that was supposed to come in wound up sick in the hospital that day instead. *
He was no doubt doing other jobs that week and probably even the day before. How many people did he cross paths with? How close? Did he have any symptoms? Was it something totally different and not even contagious? I don't know and there's a good chance he didn't either. That's the point. You don't know if you have it before it gets really nasty so you can easily spread it without knowing it. Then you give it to the checkout person at the supermarket and they don't know it before giving it to a couple hundred customers including me and my family. That's why these lockdowns have to apply to as many people as possible.
The only people who should be out there working right now are the ones keeping us alive. I have a healthy enough ego, but I don't think making someone's house prettier or bigger is going to keep anyone alive. In fact, being out there and mixing in close proximity to a lot of people might even kill a few. Thanks, I'll stay home for a bit.

*Short story long, I don't know the guy. He was on a different part of the job not under me, but I would've had to work close enough to him and cross paths for an hour or more. Still haven't heard for sure if he does have corona, but since he never actually showed up on our site or worked with any of the other people there, we aren't exposed and so won't be notified. So who knows? Maybe he had something else. Still, it was an eye opener to the what ifs.
Defenestrate (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:43 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 39,792

You can what if any situation to death... literally...

But here's the thing... we started off with ONE infection from Wuhan in Seattle, Washington...

At what point do we start life again, at the Apex? Or do we wait until the very last one, especially considering it started with one and they expect it to re-emerge in the fall... do we shut everything down again?

As this virus is showing us we can't escape a virus, but life HAS to go on... often times with tragedy as part of it... easy to say though if you haven't lost a loved one... but reality even if you have...

Many people don't have the luxury to live without a paycheck... and even with a government check or short term suspension of bills it isn't going to be the answer long-term although I'm sure "universal basic income" is next on the list of "solutions"...

Last edited by KAP; 04-02-2020 at 03:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
wallmaxx (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #9
Pro

Who knows never happened before.

Do you resume at the apex?

Well sure.
The comparison would be when the planes hit the WTC, instead of grounding everything, we just went about life as normal.

The debate is trying to keep the influx of patients at a slow (somewhat) steady stream instaed of overwhelming at one time.

Listening to Dr. Radio this morning and they are talking about getting to the point where there aren't enough resources to treat everybody.
Then dr's have to start making the calls...does this 30 year old get an ICU room because he is young and 60 year old is old?

But wait, 30 year-old is a heavy smoker so he is damaging his lungs already and likely will keep doing it if he recovers from covid. 60 year old non smoker in descent shape give him the room move the kid to hospice.

Or patient X has been on a ventilator for 7 days already and not realy getting any better, need the ventilator for a patient with a better prognosis, so take the ventilator from the lingering patient and move them to hospice. Give it to the patient that has a better chance.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:37 PM   #10
Design Build

Quote:
ok, I get your frustration, and I wanna work too.
I just had a moment last week that really brought it all into focus for me. A sub that was supposed to come in wound up sick in the hospital that day instead. *
He was no doubt doing other jobs that week and probably even the day before. How many people did he cross paths with? How close? Did he have any symptoms? Was it something totally different and not even contagious? I don't know and there's a good chance he didn't either. That's the point. You don't know if you have it before it gets really nasty so you can easily spread it without knowing it. Then you give it to the checkout person at the supermarket and they don't know it before giving it to a couple hundred customers including me and my family. That's why these lockdowns have to apply to as many people as possible.
The only people who should be out there working right now are the ones keeping us alive. I have a healthy enough ego, but I don't think making someone's house prettier or bigger is going to keep anyone alive. In fact, being out there and mixing in close proximity to a lot of people might even kill a few. Thanks, I'll stay home for a bit.

*Short story long, I don't know the guy. He was on a different part of the job not under me, but I would've had to work close enough to him and cross paths for an hour or more. Still haven't heard for sure if he does have corona, but since he never actually showed up on our site or worked with any of the other people there, we aren't exposed and so won't be notified. So who knows? Maybe he had something else. Still, it was an eye opener to the what ifs.
And you were out there. Why wait for a government mandate to act? If you are worried about this......self isolate.

A builder friend of mine is out there solo working on a project. No harm to anyone, but he wants to keep the project moving so the customers can have him done. He's in "violation" but I support his decision. Can we maybe be adults here and take responsibility for our own actions and the risks that come with them.

Catching it doesn't equal death.

Way too overblown response for this invisible enemy,
Old 04-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #11
Design Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Who knows never happened before.

Do you resume at the apex?

Well sure.
The comparison would be when the planes hit the WTC, instead of grounding everything, we just went about life as normal.

The debate is trying to keep the influx of patients at a slow (somewhat) steady stream instaed of overwhelming at one time.

Listening to Dr. Radio this morning and they are talking about getting to the point where there aren't enough resources to treat everybody.
Then dr's have to start making the calls...does this 30 year old get an ICU room because he is young and 60 year old is old?

But wait, 30 year-old is a heavy smoker so he is damaging his lungs already and likely will keep doing it if he recovers from covid. 60 year old non smoker in descent shape give him the room move the kid to hospice.

Or patient X has been on a ventilator for 7 days already and not realy getting any better, need the ventilator for a patient with a better prognosis, so take the ventilator from the lingering patient and move them to hospice. Give it to the patient that has a better chance.
and then there's this....

we

all

die.

To create global economic ruin could cause more death and harm than the virus........there has to be balance and we have to err on the side of people getting sick versus people starving and the breakdown of an orderly society. Anarchy would be fatal.
The Following User Says Thank You to wallmaxx For This Useful Post:
Mordekyle (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:17 PM   #12
Pro

The difference is two million more Americans would die if we all went on with going to work.
You want to kill 2,000,000 people?
It's already going to kill 100,000 to 200,000 with these measures. Without the measures the number is 2.2 million.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:30 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 14,692

We're working out here and you should be working there too!!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:37 AM   #14
Design Build

Quote:
The difference is two million more Americans would die if we all went on with going to work.
It's already going to kill 100,000 to 200,000 with these measures. Without the measures the number is 2.2 million.
Where are you getting that number? So you totally believe some person’s estimate? Wow. So what’s going to happen is that numbers going to be much smaller and you’re going to be on the side of, “see, having everyone lock down kept the numbers low.“ Even though there’s no empirical data that will ever prove that to compare against NO LOCKDOWN.

You believe the narrative. That’s exactly what they want, Sheeple.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:04 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 14,692

Like lambs to the slaughter they carry on to an early grave,,,
Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #16
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
Where are you getting that number? So you totally believe some person’s estimate? Wow. So what’s going to happen is that numbers going to be much smaller and you’re going to be on the side of, “see, having everyone lock down kept the numbers low.“ Even though there’s no empirical data that will ever prove that to compare against NO LOCKDOWN.

You believe the narrative. That’s exactly what they want, Sheeple.
I'm kind of inclined to give more weight to the opinions from a consensus among experts who dedicated a career to advancing knowledge within their field.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 39,792

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
I'm kind of inclined to give more weight to the opinions from a consensus among experts who dedicated a career to advancing knowledge within their field.
They projected that with models and have had to walk it back since dramatically... I look for evidence and history of experts and models being correct in their predictions before I give them credence for what they're currently saying... kind of like global cooling/warming/climate change/climate chaos (along with overpopulation, peak oil, mass starvation, etc.)... predictions and models that over DECADES were consistent in one thing... having their theories falsified by simply being wrong...

Keep in mind, science is no different than any other profession... takes money to run it, and agenda's behind it... but as you can see by SPG's comment above, they set it up, so that no matter the end number (which is all that matters), they can say "well it could have been worse if we hadn't"...

That said, I believe they're acting in good faith, just don't think fear is the answer and a strategy for times like this...
Old 04-05-2020, 01:51 PM   #18
diplomat

Trade: Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man
Rewards Points: 1,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
They projected that with models and have had to walk it back since dramatically
Have they? Remember I'm talking about a consensus among experts. Not reporting on a few theories, with headlines highlighting the extremes of a predicted range.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #19
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 9,042

Really? This was from the expert.

https://twitter.com/gregkellyusa/sta...748330496?s=21

Mike.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:54 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallmaxx View Post
and then there's this....

we

all

die.

To create global economic ruin could cause more death and harm than the virus........there has to be balance and we have to err on the side of people getting sick versus people starving and the breakdown of an orderly society. Anarchy would be fatal.
Yes we all do.

However I would prefer to die in 20 years vs next week.
That's also why I don't jump off bridges, jump out of a plane wearing only one of those flying squirrel suits....
And even then, at least that would be of my own making vs I die because some jackazz coughed on me at the store.

Advertisement