Up A Tree - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Up A Tree

Old 04-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Up A Tree

Tree from next door on my rental. This tree and more pines like itis/was on their property on their side of their fence. Called the lady this a.m., the "owner of a construction company". She called me back about 8:34 a.m.. Said she would call her husband and see what they were going to do and that she was sorry. 5:04 p.m. now. No word.What gives with people. I went ahead and called my insurance and made a claim as I didn't feel like gambling on getting wh -doed, and the fact that more severe weather was expected. Called some guys got the tree removed and another guy to cover the roof temp until the weather gets better and we can go back and replace some decking and do a perm fix.

Sure didn't take long for the guys to remove that thing and do the temp repair. Good thing as another hail storm blew through within about an hour. I still do not know what the extent of the damage is inside. I did see a wet spot in the hallway and expect it to grow.

I just don't understand the way some people act to these situations.

I'm wondering if I could get them to remove or at least top the other 3 or 4 pines as they about 60 to 80 feet tall. I have been going up on my roof for years pulling needles off as they accumulate.

Btw, this is happening out of my pocket at the moment. Hoping to be reimbirsed.

And yes, I did document it with more pics from different angles.
Attached Thumbnails
Up a tree-dscf0549.jpg.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: manager of excavation division
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Up A Tree

Ouch. Glad no one was injured.

Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Pro

You and me! I have worried about those tree for a while now. That looked about dead, not near as tall or heavy as the other ones still standing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 110

If all else fails your insurance company should reimburse you

Glad your ok up there - the hail, etc... mainly skated all around my place (3 miles north damage - 2 miles east damage), just a few shingles blew off next door
Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Said she would call her husband and see what they were going to do and that she was sorry. 5:04 p.m. now. No word.
Well, I suppose there's a bright side. You say it's a rental; presumably you don't live right alongside it. So you don't have to deal with seeing those folks every day.

My neighbors around here would (and have, on occasion) be there in 20 minutes with chainsaws, and not even ask for any help in dealing with their tree.

Sheesh.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #6
Pro

I think an adjuster is coming from Cullman the"next business day". Maybe he will be here Monday.

Tree removal: $500 Not sure yet what the roof damage may run me. Nor am I really sure about the interior damage from water.

Actually, I thought the wall the wall looked bowed. When the first guy got on the roof to see about the tree, he told the other ones it was still cracking. Heheh, I wondered if it was the tree or the house trying to give.

Btw, some say they ripped me off on the tree, but I was damned glad to have it removed with no more damage done. Maybe 45 min's for three guys and they had the thing cut, loaded and gone to the bank. I said it's like a lot of other things, sometimes you get paid for what you know how to do, not just what you do labor wise.

Ever hear this: " Normally we get 12 to 1500 for something like this, but for you, we'll do it for 500. Thats for you."?
I really have no idea what I could have gotten the tree removed for, but I was in no position to quibble as it was well worth it to me to get the tree removed by someone knowing what they were doing on short notice and before the next round of storms came through ( maybe an hour or hour and a half after all was done).
Old 04-10-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
So you don't have to deal with seeing those folks every day.
Heheh, I try to, it is my daughter.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #8

Trade: Drywall Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Same situation last year, friend paid $2000, you got a bargain.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Heheh, I try to, it is my daughter.
The inconsiderate neighbor?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #10
Pro

Haven't heard from the owners of th rental the tree came from since I talked to the lady on the phone and told her one of trees fell on my house. I did see her dad at the store this morning who I suspect may be the real owner.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
Pro

Seems I might be out of luck as far as the owners reimbursing me anything. My agent told me the ins co's consider this type thing "an act of God". That unless the owners knew the tree was a danger and ignored it, prob no case as far as sueing them. Not sure if you can tell it from the one pic, but the tree was diseased. I did take some pics of dead chunks that was left on the pile of debri in case I wanted to pursue this. I also got pics of the stunp.

I may have to let this slide, but I will be sending a certified letter to let them know I feel the remaining trees pose a hazard. That way if this occurs again, I can document they were made aware of my concern that a problem might exist.
These people buy up houses, so I'm thinking that they knew this all along and that is why they haven't contacted me.

Advertisement

Tags
dscf0549.jpg.jpg