TWC- Monopolizing Cities - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

TWC- Monopolizing Cities

Old 10-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
Wood Craftsman

Trade: High End Remodeling & Refurbishing
Rewards Points: 4,642
Question

TWC- Monopolizing Cities

I've known this for a long time and it really is getting out of hand. They keep raising our rates and we are powerless to do anything about it, other than canceling thier service.........

I called today because of an increase in my bill, another game they play with promotions. Seems I have to keep Cinamax and HBO in order to keep my rate down, I wanted to get rid of Cinamax and the representative tells me that if I do that my bill is going to go up. ........

I was on the phone for close to an hour - asked to speak to the supervisor - same identical response as the rep. First off he didn't identify himself as the supervisor and just gets on after the pipe music and says can I have your account#....just a piss ass customer service experience, then I tell them I want to speak to "retention " and ask for the phone number- tells me there isn't a phone number but can connect me directly, Fine! More pipe music for about 10 minutes and then "click" - hung up on me!......

I guess you can get away with almost anything when you have a monopoly ........there is no FIOS available here in Buffalo, or Rochester, NYC and some other burbs ,Boston Mass , and a few other cities

I've been thinking about getting the dish , but then I hear horror stories about that as well,,,,,,,,

How is it they can monopolize a market and get away with it,,...

I found this interesting arctical.....: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/P...onopoly-125211

Seems I'm not alone:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1371085.html

Any of you that are in the same boat as I am - what have you done to get away from TWC? I used to like them way back when they came in- customer service was very good , they kept their pricing reasonable.....

Now! - we're getting screwed,,,,,and I am getting really tired of feeling like I can do nothing about it.....

What say you...?

B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 10-28-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Re: TWC- Monopolizing Cities

Best decision I ever made was getting rid of TWC and getting directv. No issues, much better service and $80 less a month.

Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

Why did you dump TWC.......

Do you have any other cable providers in your area that you can go to........I'm guessing- NO

I'm all ears.....what are you doing for ISP,phone....?

I am so fed up with this constant rate increase BS!

I watch 8 channels out of over a thousand..........it's insane...

Shepard Smith just about sums up how I feel about them.....

What I am after as far the idiot box: all the discovery channels,FOX news and business channel, history,military, HBO- that's it.
iSP & PHONE...that's it

....I am paying 170. And some change for what I listed.....it used to be 139.00 less than 12 months ago......but this is with the phone promotion they offered me - my bill will go up another $15.00 on top of the $170.00 + all their fees and surcharges .....I am paying a franchise fee....WTF is that!!!

Ahhhhhh......I'm loosing it,....it's the principle of the whole matter....

B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 10-28-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,348

Haven't had cable tv since the last time the Yanks won the Series, so I guess that's 4 years ago now. Wow.

Dropped internet a month or so ago. Posting from Starbucks. It's a bit annoying, but if you only need the internet once or twice a day like I do it's not a big deal at all. You'll be amazed how much free time materializes once you don't have the internet to waste it on.

This all stemmed from Comcast raising my internet-only plan from 39.99 to 74.99/mo.
There's only so far you can push a man.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 4,370

Funny you started this thread. I've been contemplating cutting the cable for a long time because of both rates and programming.
I have both internet and television through Comcast. It used to be, when my prices went up, I'd call to cancel service and they'd give me an even better offer for less monthly. That went on for about 10 years. Now, they have gotten smart and pretty much tell me not to let the door hit me in the ass.
I pay something like $155 for cable and internet (no phone). I'm ready to cut the tv out as they now live stream FOX news. I signed up for Netflix and enjoy many movies and other National Geographic stuff. Pretty much anything that's on Discovery, Nat Geo, Military is available as a video for free on-line.
The problem is, as you mentioned...just simple internet is going to cost me probably over $100 per monthly have you over a barrel and they know it.
I love watching good stuff on TV. I'm going to have to change my habits as the monthly fees are just ridiculous. I'm hoping to cut the cord next month.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

5 years ago I bought a FTA (free to air) dish setup. It was the best $289 that I ever spent. It's probably much cheaper now but at the time, it paid for itself after 2 months.

It had somewhat of a steep learning curve to find what I wanted but the channel selection was INSANE. Also, it was good to be on the FTA forums because I could always find insight on which way to aim the dish with the motorized mount.

I didn't just pick up TV stations but I also got feeds from news trucks, video conferencing, etc. so if you go this route, you'll have to do a little bit of hunting to find what you are looking for but IMO it's well worth it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #7
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

It's INSANE!!! Predatory!!

Apparently Dish network and Direct tv want to merge becoming one giant conglomerate ...............when this news came out I don't know but the new FCC commissioner appointed back in May comes from one of Obama's staff members....and the feeling is he will be swayed into allowing the merger,............

now if that happens- who else will you be able to get satellite service from , I am going to go out on a limb here and say - 0., there won't be any other competition.........

I don't believe what's happening in this industry would be defined as capatalizm at work. It's pure greed in the form of.monopolization of the telecommunications and ISP market.

I've had it!.......I'd like to cut the cable and have another competitor come in and install theirs but there is no other competitor in my area. Verizon FIOS was installed in most of the suburbs around Buffalo but as I said earlier it is not here in Buffalo.

Way back when cable first came out you were able to choose the channels you wanted for the most part- if I had the choice 98% of the chit that's coming out of that box I would trash...utter garbage , even the channels I do watch are infiltrated with commercials........which brings me to why TV used to be free....it really wasn't, the advertisements paid for the programming and there were less of them back then. Now we get plastered with commercials - enough to drive you insane!

So ,
We are being charged for delivery.........this use to be the "united" states , ....there is nothing united about it anymore.....if we stood together and said "No more" -come get your cable,your box and your modem........how things would change-dramatically.........

I really need my Internet - business, can't get away from that,....

The TV and phone...

It's gotten way out of hand......where is the competition...

What channels can you get with that FTA...?

B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 10-28-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Radical Basement Dweller

This monopoly is one of the reason stations like msnbc and cnn stay on the air. They don't have to worry about viewership because they are part of a sold package.
The Following User Says Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
PA woodbutcher (10-29-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

Does anyone remember the Ma Bell era.......they broke the Mothership up into little pieces - allowing other companies to use the lines......pricing went down and then it became a competitive market.

I'm looking out my window write now......there is only 1 phone line on the pole but yet many companies can compete for you to become thier customer....although land lines seem to be going the way of the VCR .....my phone is now through TWC........I must admit I was paying 60-70 for my land line and that is down to $19.00 (with the promotion) . I just am sick of swallowing these knee jerk price increases,,,,,,

That FTA option looks interesting but it's in and out reception from what I have read,...channels drop......and holy cow I wish I was multilingual .....

B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 10-28-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

Ditch the cable TV for sure. You'll be a better man for it. If you absolutely have to watch TV, get Netflix and Hulu Plus. It's 20 bucks combined and you'll have everything you need.

I ended up without internet the way Robie described. I told them to cancel my service like I've done 100 times before, but instead of begging me to stay and offering me a lower rate like usual, they just said, "Ok." and cancelled it. Didn't expect that, but I'm pretty into it now. I have an extra 10-15 hours a week at my disposal. I go on a lot of walks. My internet time is way more efficient. I get on and send my emails, research what I have to, screw around on here, then go home.
Now I also get a free $100/mo to allocate elsewhere.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Painter

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 506

Same here in Toledo. We have one major cable provider and that's it. We did switch to Dish for a time but were always having trouble with the signal and after the trial period was up (80 bucks a month) it jumped up to 120. That's what I pay for Phone, Internet, and the middle cable package with our cable provider.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
I get on and send my emails, research what I have to, screw around on here, then go home.
Yeah, but buying those Starbucks coffees puts you right back where you were with the cable company.

We're on Comcast, and like everyone else, pay an exorbitant rate because of the way they manipulate the packages. And yeah, how about that commercial-free thing that was one of the major attractions of cable way back when?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

You know Gibson,

Your write, ....I would like to do that,,,,,,I would miss my edu shows and the news- big time .........but your write, infact- I think the country is consumed by TV.......

I remember when we only had 7-10 channels - all free on the airways all be it through rabbit ears or a motorized antenna . What a great time in life that was,,,,,,,,

They (telecommunications providers) are going to continue to raise their prices and there is not much we can do about it other than scrap it all together....

It's disgusting the value we are not getting for what we are paying .....lots of trash in that box.......

B,
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Radical Basement Dweller

Quote:
I remember when we only had 7-10 channels - all free on the airways all be it through rabbit ears or a motorized antenna
You are young. I remember when it was only 3 channels and I, being the youngest, was both the remote control and antenna adjuster.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
bmcquin (10-28-2013), PA woodbutcher (10-29-2013), Tinstaafl (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

If my memory servers me,....vHf was 2-4-7 , 5 & 13 was fuzzy from Canada then UHF was 17- PBS and 29 fox and a few others that we never went to,,,,

Tin,
I wouldn't mind the commercials if we weren't getting gouged to death.....I realize we have to pay for the service to pipe it in but what are we getting for it......?
I remember when I was I youngster one of my friends fathers saying "this cable that is going in our neighborhood is the beginning of the end of free airways" he was obviously write but at the time a lot of adults didn't think that would ever happen. ...now look whats going on.....

It would be great if everyone got together and just cut the head off by not prescribing to ANY multimedia conglomerate ......pipe dream....

Dish - I don't like the contract philosophy,...throw you a deal for the first year then ram it up your ass for the second and you can't get out of it without paying some penalty.....

The games these companies play is unbelievable......

B,

Last edited by PrestigeR&D; 10-28-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #16
Radical Basement Dweller

I have been playing around with turning the tv off and streaming FOX news over the computer. When it comes time for a commercial break, the website is silent.
It's amazing just how long and silent things are without commercials.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #17

Honestly, you have nothing to lose by trying it out. Cut the cord for a month. You might run screaming back into the arms of TV by the end of the month, but I'd bet not.
I used to watch a pretty decent amount of TV. By no means an addict, but for sure once a week I would end up sitting on the couch drinking beer while my wife gorged on House Hunters or something like that. One of those shows you can watch back to back to back to back for as long as you feel like enduring it. Before you know it it's midnight and you've wasted the whole day.
That doesn't happen to me anymore.
TV was easy frankly. The internet has been a MUCH bigger struggle. It's amazing how often you use it. Go without it for a week and you'll see how often the phrase, "Hey can you look up ______ for me?" gets batted around a house.

You guys are resourceful, might as well leave this here: http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...cable-company/
Old 10-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
Wood Craftsman

Arrow

Thanks Gibson,

B,
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #19
Boondockian

Trade: Getting the job done
Rewards Points: 1,018

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-to-air

Most interesting including a partial channel list are in te Nort America section.

I also found this site which gives a bunch of technical info. http://www.lyngsat.com/america.html

You can also get some radio stations on FTA which is how I heard about it.

Here is a list of New York State local channels supposedly available FTA. http://www.lyngsat.com/uslocal/New-York.html

Here is another website that lists channels available FTA. I expect you will want the Ku band so look at the upper lists. The numbers indicate the compass direction the satellite faces.

Here is a site which sells a Package for $200 which includes satellite and receiver. Its a link I got from the aforementioned radio stations website. http://www.satelliteav.com/p/shop/?ws_cat=413
Captain Howdy: We must all go through a rite of passage, and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.

Last edited by Dustincoc; 10-28-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 520

I'm just down the thruway in Rochester and have had the same thoughts regarding time warner for quite some time.

Looked into dish and directv which either would work but then there's the question of internet. Like you mentioned there's really nobody who can compete with their speed since fios isn't available here.

We currently have their all in one plan - cable, internet, home phone. No premium channels and we are somewhere around 160 a month. No use for home phone but our bill will go up 20 bucks to get rid of it. Plus they keep finding more things to charge for - most recently a 5 dollar per month charge to rent their modem.

Their service seems to cut out at the most inopportune times, our internet connection/speed varies greatly bay by day, and customer service is a joke. The only positive I have to say about them is their techs they send out are great.

But we, just like you, feel stuck with time warner.

Advertisement