Tariffs And Trade Battle - Thoughts? - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Tariffs And Trade Battle - Thoughts?

Old 05-10-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 12,871

Tariffs And Trade Battle - Thoughts?

Share any thoughts (non-political) on the trade talks and tariff battle? Policy-focused, market expectations, your business, local economy, etc. What do you think?

Are you even paying attention, or just going carrying on with your business?

Perhaps the cost of the big box, low quality junk fixtures, etc. will go up.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,652

Re: Tariffs And Trade Battle - Thoughts?

The tariffs didn't do any damage last time around....when many were thinking the end of the world would result.

I agree with some comments I heard on it yesterday....we need to think long-term and not short-term.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-10-2019), greg24k (05-11-2019), Texas Wax (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #3
Pro

There was damage to some, but I don't know how they fit into the overall picture of better vs. worse for us. Eg. soybean folks, lobster exporters, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 32,708

Doesn't hurt anyone making stuff in the USA... but that's the point of it all though right? China (as one) has been benefiting from it to the turn of hundreds of billions per year... is it wrong to want to protect your intellectual property and have reciprocity?

The people being hurt by it most are the ones who lost their jobs when China benefited by companies moving there and elsewhere to lower costs and increase their profits.

It's the same issue with illegal labor... it hurts the people most vulnerable in the economy because it artificially suppresses wages... the tech and creative fields are starting to experience what the construction/restaurant/agriculture have been experiencing for decades... illegal labor is a boon and worth much more in their home country the same way the unequal imports from China are a boon and worth much more there...

In both cases, a level playing field, competition / the market will take care of itself in most cases...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-10-2019), Capitalist (05-11-2019), greg24k (05-11-2019), Robie (05-10-2019), tgeb (05-13-2019), Tom M (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 15,540

We can't allow China to continue this. Deal with the pain now or deal with it later when it will hurt even more. That's the bottom line.

Mike.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Pro

I'm reading on Forbes that many of our big brands are looking to source their goods from other countries instead of China, but still not here. Ugh.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
GC/carpenter

Regardless of the consequences this needs to be addressed before the consequences are unbearable.

Mike.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
Regardless of the consequences this needs to be addressed before the consequences are unbearable.

Mike.
Deckhead (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 12,924

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Yup, but it needs to work.
Agreed. Not sure what's gonna happen. I bought our roof just before the last time around and the owner of the roofing supplier said they expected a 20% increase in cost.

Hopefully we can start to turn into a country who builds everyday items to last again.

Who knows where it ends up but we need to do it while the economy is peaking and we still hold some cards...
You ain't gonna rock and roll no more
The Following User Says Thank You to Deckhead For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Pro

And I sure do hope it works out. This is a high stakes game of chicken.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,768

Please excuse any ignorance I may display. IN the sort term there surely is pain for some, farmers? Steel? I never agreed with NAFTA I always felt it was the beginning of allowing people to have nice things they could not afford. Here we are 30 some years later win our big box stores full of China knock off [email protected] But surely in this day and age are we going to be a global economy or not? I am not sure what is best for us.

On a personal level, short term I am not expected to feel the pinch of it other than our financial markets dipping etc.

Long term - we are all affected, for the better hopefully.

High stakes game of chicken - good way of putting it.

Last edited by Ohio painter; 05-10-2019 at 07:20 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (05-10-2019), MarkJames (05-10-2019), overanalyze (05-18-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 08:45 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
Please excuse any ignorance I may display. IN the sort term there surely is pain for some, farmers? Steel? I never agreed with NAFTA I always felt it was the beginning of allowing people to have nice things they could not afford. Here we are 30 some years later win our big box stores full of China knock off [email protected] But surely in this day and age are we going to be a global economy or not? I am not sure what is best for us.

On a personal level, short term I am not expected to feel the pinch of it other than our financial markets dipping etc.

Long term - we are all affected, for the better hopefully.

High stakes game of chicken - good way of putting it.
There's nothing wrong with a global economy if it's everyone operating with the same rules... we not only aren't but it's set up to take advantage of our system... to the tune of TRILLIONS over a 10-year period...

Cheap knock-off stuff has a market... so does it's higher quality counterpart that lasts longer and doesn't end up in the trash as quick...

But literally giving away the farm to do it leads us right to where we are right now... No problem competing, but it's like guys operating without a license (if needed), no insurance, using illegal labor (without the same hourly rate or load), etc. and STILL charging less than you because you have to follow those rules... that's not fair competition and everyone operating under the same rules...

And that's the problem... both here in the states and globally... Say what you want about Trump, good or bad, but isn't quite illustrative who's not fully supporting free/fair trade and protection of intellectual property, which benefits workers? And they're not even asked about why... he's been the first to put into action what they "talk" about... for decades...

Last edited by KAP; 05-10-2019 at 09:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KAP For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-10-2019), Ohio painter (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
There's nothing wrong with a global economy if it's everyone operating with the same rules... we not only aren't but it's set up to take advantage of our system... to the tune of TRILLIONS over a 10-year period...

Cheap knock-off stuff has a market... so does it's higher quality counterpart that lasts longer and doesn't end up in the trash as quick...

But literally giving away the farm to do it leads us right to where we are right now... No problem competing, but it's like guys operating without a license (if needed), no insurance, using illegal labor (without the same hourly rate or load), etc. and STILL charging less because you have to... that's not fair competition and everyone operating under the same rules...

And that's the problem... both here in the states and globally... Say what you want about Trump, good or bad, but isn't quite illustrative who's not fully supporting free/fair trade and protection of intellectual property, which benefits workers? And they're not even asked about why... he's been the first to put into action what they "talk" about...

The vast majority of us are for IP (intellectual property) protection. Probably cybersecurity threat protection, too, though they already let that one slide as part of these negotiations (per a Bloomberg expert today).

As for free trade/fair trade, we already gave away the store in so many ways...in the interest of opening those markets. Big mistake.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (05-10-2019), Rio (05-11-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Quote:
Yup, but it needs to work.

We have to start somewhere even if at first it doesn't work. Can't not do somethings because it might not work. This is one of them.

Mike.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #15
GC/carpenter

Quote:
And I sure do hope it works out. This is a high stakes game of chicken.

The alternative is worse.

Mike.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidecks View Post
We have to start somewhere even if at first it doesn't work. Can't not do somethings because it might not work. This is one of them.

Mike.

There was a CNN opinion that said China overplayed their hand with bad assumptions. Hope so.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Calidecks (05-10-2019), KAP (05-10-2019), Ohio painter (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:24 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
I hope the thinking behind the strategy is solid, not just based on gut and emotion.
If you're referring to Trump on this, he's been right there with you for decades... used to be on all the talk shows saying the same thing as you...
Quote:
As for free trade/fair trade, we already gave away the store in so many ways...in the interest of opening those markets. Big mistake.
It's what he's trying to change along with the other items...

Quote:
There was a CNN opinion that said China overplayed their hand with bad assumptions. Hope so.
Time will tell...
Old 05-10-2019, 09:30 PM   #18
Pro

Quote:
If you're referring to Trump on this, he's been right there with you for decades... used to be on all the talk shows saying the same thing as you...

It's what he's trying to change along with the other items...

Time will tell...
I'm trying to focus on the plan itself, not any persons or personalities.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
KAP (05-10-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
I'm trying to focus on the plan itself, not any persons or personalities.
I hear ya'... was responding to "gut and emotion" aspect... right or wrong, it's how he's characterized on this...

The bottom line to me is how is it wrong to fight to protect your intellectual property when the other side is blatantly stealing it to flood your markets, while at the same force on our economy a trade deficit in the hundreds of billions each year because we're not operating under the same rules but instead literally giving it to them...

Why would any politician support that knowing it hurts our workers?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
I hear ya'... was responding to "gut and emotion" aspect... right or wrong, it's how he's characterized on this...

The bottom line to me is how is it wrong to fight to protect your intellectual property when the other side is blatantly stealing it to flood your markets, while at the same force on our economy a trade deficit in the hundreds of billions each year because we're not operating under the same rules but instead literally giving it to them...

Why would any politician support that knowing it hurts our workers?
Gut and emotion could be group think at this point (if that's what it is). Navarro-inspired or whoever else. But maybe there's method and solid thinking behind all this afterall.

And don't get me started with trying to explain the so-called "thinking" of politicians. They're like defense attorneys that can passionately argue any side, at will, as long at the checks cash.

Advertisement

Last edited by MarkJames; 05-10-2019 at 09:45 PM.