DAD: "Yeah sure, what is it?"
SON: "Daddy, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?"
SON: "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "If you must know, I make $100 an hour."
SON: "Oh! (With his head down).
SON: "Daddy, may I please borrow $50?"
The father was furious.
DAD: "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I work hard everyday for such this childish behavior."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.
The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?
After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think:
Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $ 50 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

DAD: "Are you asleep, son?"

SON: "No daddy, I'm awake".
DAD: "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier. It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $50 you asked for."

The little boy sat straight up, smiling.
SON: "Oh, thank you daddy!"
Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

DAD: "Why do you want more money if you already have some?"

SON: "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do.

"Daddy, I have $100 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."
The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do you remember to share that $100 worth of your time with someone you love? If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family and friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than to our family.

Some things are more important.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to shanekw1 For This Useful Post:
aptpupil (02-21-2013), BradingCon (02-21-2013), carolinahandyma (02-21-2013), country_huck (02-21-2013), CScalf (02-21-2013), dayexco (02-21-2013), Dierte (02-21-2013), dsconstructs (02-21-2013), fugsly (02-21-2013), goneelkn (02-21-2013), greg24k (02-21-2013), Jaws (02-21-2013), jproffer (02-21-2013), kambrooks (02-21-2013), KAP (02-21-2013), Kent Whitten (02-21-2013), kevjob (02-21-2013), Mississippi (02-21-2013), NYExcavatorGirl (02-21-2013), r4r&r (02-21-2013), Robie (02-21-2013), Rockmonster (02-21-2013), Sir Mixalot (02-21-2013), tedanderson (02-21-2013), tgeb (02-21-2013), TimberlineMD (02-21-2013), VinylHanger (02-21-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,054

Re: Some Things Are More Important

That is good... thanks for sharing, people who write these things, sure know how to hit that sentimental note and get the point across

With that said... and not to "jack" this tread... I think you have a better chance to hit a lottery then find 1 kid who will do something like this.

The moral of that story makes a lot of sense. and yes kids do need more attention from theirs parents and they seek that, but not many can afford this days to do that, and unfortunately some kids get the short end of the stick growing up, but eventually they get caught on with understanding of reality one way or another. and everything becomes as it should be.

Now to lighten up the subject before I need a tissue... I can picture that conversation go as I remember conversations growing up in my old neighborhood between parents:

Son: Dad can I borrow a $50?

Dad: Son does your pecker reaches your behind?

Son: No dad, not yet!

Dad: Well son, when it does you can get the $50 now take a hike

Son: Dad, I was just kidding, I hit a lottery today!

Dad: No s^*t Son, can I have a few grand to buy a caddy I always wanted?!

Son: Dad, does your pecker reaches your behind?

Dad: (all proud, chest puffed out, $$ signs in his eyes) Of course it can Son!!!

Son: In that case Dad, go screw yourself

Now something like this I can see being closer to reality

Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekw1 View Post
SON: "Daddy, may I ask you a question?"
DAD: "Yeah sure, what is it?"
SON: "Daddy, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "That's none of your business. Why do you ask such a thing?"
SON: "I just want to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?"
DAD: "If you must know, I make $100 an hour."
SON: "Oh! (With his head down).
SON: "Daddy, may I please borrow $50?"
The father was furious.
DAD: "If the only reason you asked that is so you can borrow some money to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you are being so selfish. I work hard everyday for such this childish behavior."

The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door.
The man sat down and started to get even angrier about the little boy's questions. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money?
After about an hour or so, the man had calmed down, and started to think:
Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $ 50 and he really didn't ask for money very often. The man went to the door of the little boy's room and opened the door.

DAD: "Are you asleep, son?"

SON: "No daddy, I'm awake".
DAD: "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier. It's been a long day and I took out my aggravation on you. Here's the $50 you asked for."

The little boy sat straight up, smiling.
SON: "Oh, thank you daddy!"
Then, reaching under his pillow he pulled out some crumpled up bills. The man saw that the boy already had money, started to get angry again. The little boy slowly counted out his money, and then looked up at his father.

DAD: "Why do you want more money if you already have some?"

SON: "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do.

"Daddy, I have $100 now. Can I buy an hour of your time? Please come home early tomorrow. I would like to have dinner with you."
The father was crushed. He put his arms around his little son, and he begged for his forgiveness. It's just a short reminder to all of you working so hard in life. We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, those close to our hearts. Do you remember to share that $100 worth of your time with someone you love? If we die tomorrow, the company that we are working for could easily replace us in a matter of days. But the family and friends we leave behind will feel the loss for the rest of their lives. And come to think of it, we pour ourselves more into work than to our family.

Some things are more important.
The simple basics is what kids need. YOUR L O V E and T I M E Wonderful post!
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

The important thing to do is to TALK to your children and explain to them why you can't make it to their school play or music recital. And you have to be more in depth than just limiting it to "Daddy/Mommy has to go to work".

I was a typical latch-key kid of the 80's where both of my parents worked full time. But my parents would often share some of their dreams and plans for the future.. and other times the discussion might have been about keeping the lights on.

I didn't always like or accept what they had to tell me in regards how much quality time they spent with me but I knew that it wasn't because I was unloved and even the time spent talking to me helped to better appriciate their position.
greg24k (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General & Electrical Contracting
Rewards Points: 432

Every time I hear that story, the father's hourly rate goes up.
greg24k (02-21-2013), Jaws (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Trailer park boy

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedanderson View Post
The important thing to do is to TALK to your children and explain to them why you can't make it to their school play or music recital. And you have to be more in depth than just limiting it to "Daddy/Mommy has to go to work".

I was a typical latch-key kid of the 80's where both of my parents worked full time. But my parents would often share some of their dreams and plans for the future.. and other times the discussion might have been about keeping the lights on.

I didn't always like or accept what they had to tell me in regards how much quality time they spent with me but I knew that it wasn't because I was unloved and even the time spent talking to me helped to better appriciate their position.
See, I take a different approach. Instead of explaining to my kids why I won't be at their Christmas concert, I explain to my clients why I won't be at work. Not one person has scoffed at this, and even if they did, I would tell them tough s***.

No job or amount of money is worth more than my family.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanekw1 For This Useful Post:
NYExcavatorGirl (02-21-2013), Rockmonster (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanekw1 View Post
See, I take a different approach. Instead of explaining to my kids why I won't be at their Christmas concert, I explain to my clients why I won't be at work. Not one person has scoffed at this, and even if they did, I would tell them tough s***.

No job or amount of money is worth more than my family.
That is true, and I'm sure most here would do the same thing and to any person with a sound mind, Family will always come before anything...
BUT sometimes there are circumstances that you cannot be there and there is nothing wrong with that...That is just life and it don't make any father worst then any other father who is sitting at the concert because they couldn't make it... and there could be hundreds of legit reasons why people don't make it.
I'm sure everyone would rather watch theirs kid perform, then sit and listen to some schmuck trying to shave a few dollars off your estimate.

As job and money goes, you way off my friend... I understand your sentimentality on the issue, and I'm sure this story took you on the cloud nine for a second or two... Now that you back to reality, think about this, without the job or money, most likely your wife would rather see you working and making money then sit at the concert, that is you still have a wife or kids.

Advertisement

Jaws (02-21-2013)