Savannah, GA Trip - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Savannah, GA Trip

Old 10-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 6,838

Savannah, GA Trip

The wife and I are heading down there towards the end of this month for about 5-6 days. Anybody that lives in the area or who has also visited, trying to figure out what the "must see" things are. Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
wannabe

Trade: carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Savannah, GA Trip

I went to The Savannah College of Art and Design a while ago...I think Carupa who is a member here works in Savannah....Hopefully, he will correct my memories...

Anyway, The city is very cool! Pretty sure you can take a bus tour...Forsythe Park (fountain)...River walk....Savannah Bridge...Forrest Gump (bench scene)...Tybee Island...Fort Polanski?(on the way to Tybee Island??)...maybe even try some SCAD galleries if you care for art....They have an architecture school and furniture restoration too...

I'd love to get back some day....relax, and enjoy yourself! Just walk around, it's a beautiful city!

Edit: I don't know if it's still there, but there's a great under ground live Blues bar (Underground?)

Hope I could be of some help....

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do
Rewards Points: 2,000

Just do not get arrested!

Chatham County Jails are for ****e...........Or so they appear!

Was there last in 1998. Great place to visit. Lotsa' Beautiful Homes and Lotsa' slums!

The Waterfront is Tourist Trap Personified! Yet still nice!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
The wife and I are heading down there towards the end of this month for about 5-6 days. Anybody that lives in the area or who has also visited, trying to figure out what the "must see" things are. Thanks in advance.
PM JF:

https://www.contractortalk.com/members/j-f-3883/

He's from GA.
Old 10-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

Once you leave NJ and the NJT, the rest stops are much nicer....I'm pretty sure we stopped at every single rest area from Orlando back to NJ.

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry / Fencing / Decks

Just relax, do not get caught up in the tours or ghost walks.

Stay at a bed and breakfast, eat at Vinnie's pizza, sit in a historic square, Go to McDonough's for awesome karaoke, take your wife on a carriage ride and enjoy the scenery. It is a beautiful city.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
framing/millwork supplier

Trade: interior & exterior trim, window and door installs
Rewards Points: 75

I live in Savannah as well... been here my whole life....the underground blues bar is called The Bar Bar and they do not play blues anymore its a loud night club that is ok...as for what to do...

Are you bringing children ?
If so Ft.Pulaski its a National monument to the war of northen aggression (j/k) its a really cool old civil war fort.
Tour the Colonial Cemetary and Forsyth Park ...take them out to Tybee Island there is a lighthouse, old museum, dolphin tours etc....there is not alot in the Historic District geared towards the entertainment of children..

Now if your not taking kids and you drink, well hold the phone that is a totally different story.....Do a waking haunted pub tour...I know someone said stay away from ghost tours and I agree..but this is NOT your mama's ghost tour..you will be hammered by the 3rd pub and the group becomes a walking party (well ours did) and yes you can drink alcohol on the street but it must be in a plastic or paper cup.

Visit Savannah Smiles its a dueling piano bar ...but get there early say by 10-10:30 or you will get a sit.

Visit City Market and River Street they are full of restaraunts,bars and shops.

Vinnies is a must its in City Market ...best pizza in the south..bring cash because they do not take cards or checks.

Now the dont's.....Do not park on the street at night downtown, pay the 5.00 and park in a parking garage..just trust me ...people will rip you off, piss, scratch or puke on your car.
Do not go on that romantic walk through the squares or Forsyth Park after dark..you will be putting a bullseye on your back..we do have predators (thugs) in this town.
During the week watch your parking meter because I assure you Shanika the meter maid is ...
We do have a large gay population downtown and not that there is anything wrong with that but they do have their own club very close to City Market..Its called Club One...Now it does have a impersonater show at midnight that is pretty good and 95% of the audience are straight customers...but if your wife or girlfriend want to dance go somewhere else ..the dance floor is in the basement of this club and you will see things you will never forget...Savannah is a conservative town (bible belt) but when the lights go out some places(Basement @ Club One become very liberal).
But come on down we would love to have ya'll...just use basic common sense and you should have a great time.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtpro View Post
Never been, but I can make some good shiite up .
The Following User Says Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
jtpro (10-03-2009)
Old 10-03-2009, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J F View Post
Never been, but I can make some good shiite up .
My bad I guess it's like ASSUMing I've been to see Mickey because I live in Fla.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
Pro

I lived just outside of orlando for a few years too. My mom and step-father are still there, just went for a visit in august.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic View Post
Once you leave NJ and the NJT, the rest stops are much nicer....I'm pretty sure we stopped at every single rest area from Orlando back to NJ.
Common scenario when traveling with my wife...We get on the TP at exit 7, by the time we hit the first rest stop in MD (about 1hr), "Pull over here, I have to P"
Old 10-03-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
Pro

just go and have a good time
Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
Pro

dvon104, thanks for the valuable info. Any recommendations on hotel areas?
I don't want my new truck taken away by a valet and I also don't want to have to wedge it between some SUV's.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by curapa View Post
Just relax, do not get caught up in the tours or ghost walks.

Stay at a bed and breakfast, eat at Vinnie's pizza, sit in a historic square, Go to McDonough's for awesome karaoke, take your wife on a carriage ride and enjoy the scenery. It is a beautiful city.

Are there places that offer boat rides up the Savannah river? Also maybe surrounding area that may not be city limits but have a lot of historical sites?
I am killing two birds with one stone on this trip also...wife gets to see Savannah...last day I take side trip to Douglas and pickup new 6x12 tandem axle cargo trailer to take home
Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
Cabinetmaker

Trade: Cabinetmaker

Tim; for what it is worth wife and I went to savahanna ha ha few years back around this time and we found GREAT hotel rates on Tybee Island. It is abouts 25 mins drive into town but man 2 minutes from the beach, luved it.
rooms are over 200 a nite during tourist season but I paid well under a hundred. I will look for name but really was first on the left after the lighthouse, multi story critter,parking on premise.

http://desotobeachhotel.com/rates/
Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #16
Pro

Skymaster, thanks for that good piece of advice
Old 10-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
Cabinetmaker

Tim: be prepared to suffer terribly. Those damn seagulls are noisy, the sand gritty, the water is wet, the sea shells are crunchy, weather great, NO tourists, You DO have to walk out of your room to get to the beach :{:{:{, go out the hotel turn left, go about 3 blocks turn left, walk 26 feet, turn right, open the door and enjoy one of the best breakfast places out there.
OF course this is only speculation LOL LOL
The local folk who are talkin to ya know way way more than I could ever bout down thar. All I know is for us twas really really nice.
PM me or call me if n ya want to 973-945-6686
Jack
Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
framing/millwork supplier

Trade: interior & exterior trim, window and door installs
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
dvon104, thanks for the valuable info. Any recommendations on hotel areas?
I don't want my new truck taken away by a valet and I also don't want to have to wedge it between some SUV's.
Well not sure I never stayed in a hotel in Savannah...there are a slew of new hotels downtown...but they as with anything "downtown" will be pricey.

Tybee Island is a good idea it is the off season and rates should be low...and its a straight shot to the Historic District...I would really consider that...

We do have a nice little visitor every year about the time of your visit...SAND GNATS...they will eat you alive some people call them no see'ums...Bug spray will not work ...buy a bottle of Skin So Soft body oil from Avon...something about the oil in it the lil bastards wont bite...it smells ok and anyone who works or spends alot of time will smell like it ...but its worth it ....

Enjoy your visit
Old 10-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #19
Cabinetmaker

Tim, Tim, TIM!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFLMFAO OH man you are going to Douglas now that is soooooooooo funny. I stopped in Savannah ON MY WAY to Douglas to visit my daughter and her family!!!!!!! They lived there for almost 14 yrs. What a funny small world!!!!! You can run sideways from Savannah or run down to Brunswick then cut cross country.

PS: If ya need any electrical parts to fit that trailer stop in at Coley Electrical supply, ask for Zack, tell him Jack the carpenter, Al Onley's son in law says HI. He also has some neat antiques in a small corner of his place :}:}:}

Last edited by skymaster; 10-04-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #20
Pro

Sky, Spent last night checking hotels etc. and have 99.9% decided that the Desoto is the way to go That is way too cool about Douglas. Sounds like a kind of 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon seperation type thing

Dvon, my wife SWEARS by that avon stuff, me, I hate it. She will be packing it now.

Advertisement