Roundup Harms Bees - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Roundup Harms Bees

Old 09-25-2018, 07:20 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 16,177

Roundup Harms Bees

I wonder what took them so long to figure this out. 9/10 killed when exposed to glyphosate.

https://nypost.com/video/weed-killer...-bee-genocide/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,084

Re: Roundup Harms Bees

I think the research is pretty interesting, but I do have some critiques which keep it out of "true" categoru for me.

1) They used advanced statistics with no qualified statistician. This is a common problem which often leads to erroneous analysis and / or interpretation.

2) the article they reference to justify their use of particular doses has 0 experimental data to back up their claim. This should have been caught during review, so the review on this was somewhat sloppy.

The good: data and supplemental material were apparently archived, although I didn't check further.

Pretty intetesting, all in all.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to hdavis For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Pro

The paper.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/09/18/1803880115
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 11:33 AM   #4
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 14,468

I believe in science and technology, obviously, but I also believe in the eye test.

Did you know that Frank Lloyd Wright's initial calculations for the steel needed in the cantilever for Falling Water called for 50% less than what is there? The builder didn't feel it passed the eye test and doubled the size of the beams. It's still sinking despite the "over build."

It is with this in mind that I say that obviously Roundup is harmful to the environment. The idea that we could produce a catch-all weedkiller produced by a gigantic corporation that has no downstream effects on other flora and fauna is completely laughable. Take two seconds to think about it and Roundup fails the eye test spectacularly.

Sadly though, like with flame retardation standards, the books will be cooked, the results will be skewed, and a company with pockets that large will simply rebrand with another product that will hit the market before adequate testing is done, and we'll have a whole different crisis on our hands in 15 years when the science finally comes around to realizing that obviously this new indiscriminate killing machine is harmful to the environment as well.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 998

I'm not a farmer or scientist, but I live in farm country, own a couple farms and have read a lot about the potential problems with disappearing bee populations. Grant it, Round up isn't good for bees directly exposed to it, but I would contend that the lack of bees is more due to the monoculture created by modern row crop farming.

Huge fields and expanses of weed free corn, beans and wheat which don't serve much use to the bees, plus the majority of the areas that held plant life the bees need has been removed; forests, fence rows, swamps, ditches, roadsides, etc. Heck, in big AG country you don't even see too much hay ground or pasture anymore, it's road to road row crops.

And don't let the homeowners off the hook either, who spray their yards with 2-4-d to kill all the clovers and dandelions so they have nothing but green grass.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
Easy Gibson (09-25-2018), Martin K (09-27-2018), pinwheel (09-25-2018), Rio (09-25-2018), Robie (09-25-2018), spazman (09-25-2018), Texas Wax (09-25-2018), XJCraver (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
test

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,386

what ever happened to just pulling the weeds out of the ground!!! haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cedarboarder For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (09-27-2018), Dirtywhiteboy (09-28-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:40 PM   #7
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 14,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
Last sidewalk I weeded to about exactly an hour to 100% clean up about 50'. Really not that hard. Just do it. Probably takes longer to go to the store, buy the round up, then clean up all the dead weeds.
Old 09-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling/construction
Rewards Points: 1,483

Have a good customer who was high up in the company @Monsanto in the 60's and 70's. He said at one of the meetings with all the marketing mgrs, sales mgrs, they were trying to come up with a name for this new herbicide.

He said one of the VP's for marketing, who said she had just returned from her honeymoon, raised her hand and said "How about Ramrod?"

True story.
The Following User Says Thank You to rescraft For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
When I was a little kid, my mother told me she would give me 10 cents for each dandelion that I pulled out of the front yard while she went shopping. Looked like there were maybe a few dozen.

By the time she got back, I had over 200 in my basket and thought I was rich!
Old 09-25-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Last sidewalk I weeded to about exactly an hour to 100% clean up about 50'. Really not that hard. Just do it. Probably takes longer to go to the store, buy the round up, then clean up all the dead weeds.

You don't get out of the concrete jungle very often, do you?

Fishindude got it mostly right IMO. RU itself doesn't kill bees. Insecticide treated crop seed does more to kill polinators (not just bees) than any herbicide. Herbicides are sprayed to kill weeds, not kill insects.

BTW, you guys do realize, glysophte (main ingredient in RU) is a form of salt, right?

Did you know that glysophate is labeled for killing aquatic weeds in ponds & other water sources? No harm to fish either.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #11

Trade: Electrical engineer
Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post

Fishindude got it mostly right IMO. RU itself doesn't kill bees. Insecticide treated crop seed does more to kill polinators (not just bees) than any herbicide. Herbicides are sprayed to kill weeds, not kill insects.

BTW, you guys do realize, glysophte (main ingredient in RU) is a form of salt, right?

Did you know that glysophate is labeled for killing aquatic weeds in ponds & other water sources? No harm to fish either.

Dog chow is a form of food, but I donít eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #12
Hair Splitter

Rewards Points: 1,244

Oh, are we back to the myth that bees are on their way out or in danger?
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #13
test

Rewards Points: 1,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Oh, are we back to the myth that bees are on their way out or in danger?
don't bee like that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cedarboarder For This Useful Post:
A&E Exteriors (09-27-2018), Justin Rhoades (09-25-2018), MarkJames (09-26-2018), TNTRenovate (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescraft View Post
Have a good customer who was high up in the company @Monsanto in the 60's and 70's. He said at one of the meetings with all the marketing mgrs, sales mgrs, they were trying to come up with a name for this new herbicide.

He said one of the VP's for marketing, who said she had just returned from her honeymoon, raised her hand and said "How about Ramrod?"

True story.
Talk about inspiration.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
I'm not a farmer or scientist, but I live in farm country, own a couple farms and have read a lot about the potential problems with disappearing bee populations. Grant it, Round up isn't good for bees directly exposed to it, but I would contend that the lack of bees is more due to the monoculture created by modern row crop farming.

Huge fields and expanses of weed free corn, beans and wheat which don't serve much use to the bees, plus the majority of the areas that held plant life the bees need has been removed; forests, fence rows, swamps, ditches, roadsides, etc. Heck, in big AG country you don't even see too much hay ground or pasture anymore, it's road to road row crops.

And don't let the homeowners off the hook either, who spray their yards with 2-4-d to kill all the clovers and dandelions so they have nothing but green grass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post

Good comments and maybe there are clues here, but the problems need to be verified properly.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #16
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Rewards Points: 5,926

https://www.france24.com/en/20180427...nt-food-safety

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...-killing-bees/
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
hdavis (09-26-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
Good comments and maybe there are clues here, but the problems need to be verified properly.

Very similar to quail populations in farm country. Lack of habitat leads to lower #'s.

The NRCS is actually putting a lot of effort & monies into helping the polinators & incentivizing landowners to increase pollinator habitat. Matter of fact, we've signed up to start several pollinator plantings on our farm.

I've also got several friends who are bee keepers & do plantings for the bees on their properties to increase honey production.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (09-25-2018), Martin K (09-27-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 12:39 AM   #18
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 182

the use of roundup has skyrocketed, the statistics on it are astounding. Along with its huge increase in use has been a huge increase in weeds that are roundup resistant requiring ever increasing amounts of roundup to keep down the weeds.

Don't know how bad it is on bees but let's all hope it turns out it's not too hard on people because by now probably all of us have some in our system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rio For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (09-26-2018), wmullis0 (09-27-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 AM   #19
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 1,868

Anyone wanna come pull my fenceline? Weed whacking it takes several hours....

Funny how quickly people are going to condemn things they don't have to use.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:57 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post

Funny how quickly people are going to condemn things they don't have to use.
....and vice versa.

Advertisement