Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Off Topic (Non Trade) (https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/)
-   -   Robin Williams (https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/robin-williams-151482/)

SmallTownGuy 08-11-2014 06:05 PM

Robin Williams
 
Dammit...

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/1...ms-dead-at-63/

Leo G 08-11-2014 06:06 PM

Just saw this. Damn...63 years old.

bmcquin 08-11-2014 06:07 PM

Robin Williams
 
Just saw a headline that Robin Williams died from an suicide.........

if this is true RIP Mork!

skillman 08-11-2014 06:09 PM

A great movie actor .

Snobnd 08-11-2014 06:10 PM

My older brother had an opportunity to work with him on one hour photo.

He will definitely be missed by many.

Robie 08-11-2014 06:11 PM

It's difficult to imagine that someone who was able to bring so much laughter to so many could be so depressed.

Thanks for the laughs...thanks for the memories. You will be missed.

Here's a page of great quotes from him:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au..._williams.html

skillman 08-11-2014 06:16 PM

Suicide really is hard to take for any family .

superseal 08-11-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robie (Post 2071081)
It's difficult to imagine that someone who was able to bring so much laughter to so many could be so depressed.

Thanks for the laughs...thanks for the memories. You will be missed.

Here's a page of great quotes from him:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/au..._williams.html

Quite the contrary,...comedians often evolve their skills to mask the real hurting that's going on inside.

RIP Mork

ScipioAfricanus 08-11-2014 06:30 PM

What could have possibly been so bad about his life that he would commit or indeed, even contemplate suicide?

Or anyone for that matter? This is something that is just so alien a concept for me that I have trouble thinking about it.

I guess if you are in a concentration camp like the victims of the Nazis or North Koreans I could understand it but my god, he lived and worked in the greatest country on the planet, ever. I am sure he had people that needed him. Friends, family etc.
Suicide is just anathema to me.

Andy.

asevereid 08-11-2014 06:33 PM

Yep..damn shame.

rex 08-11-2014 06:36 PM

66 Attachment(s)
Selfish

MarkJames 08-11-2014 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus (Post 2071093)
What could have possibly been so bad about his life that he would commit or indeed, even contemplate suicide?

Or anyone for that matter? This is something that is just so alien a concept for me that I have trouble thinking about it.

I guess if you are in a concentration camp like the victims of the Nazis or North Koreans I could understand it but my god, he lived and worked in the greatest country on the planet, ever. I am sure he had people that needed him. Friends, family etc.
Suicide is just anathema to me.

Andy.

He was manic-depressive (bi-polar). So was Jonathan Winters, who was an inspiration to Williams in dealing with it through the years. I vaguely recall that, anyhow. Deep, deep lows, etc..

superseal 08-11-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus (Post 2071093)
What could have possibly been so bad about his life that he would commit or indeed, even contemplate suicide?

Or anyone for that matter? This is something that is just so alien a concept for me that I have trouble thinking about it.

I guess if you are in a concentration camp like the victims of the Nazis or North Koreans I could understand it but my god, he lived and worked in the greatest country on the planet, ever. I am sure he had people that needed him. Friends, family etc.
Suicide is just anathema to me.

Andy.

More than likely the inability to beat his addictions,...e.g. alcohol and the nasty white powder.

Desperation and despair rule the moment here,...not selfishness.

A&E Exteriors 08-11-2014 06:41 PM

RIP Robin Williams
 
How sad, i don't know what to say.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=24937522

Reg 08-11-2014 06:47 PM

I was hoping it was an urban Legend. Not our happy comedian. So damn sad.

jb4211 08-11-2014 06:50 PM

He was an incredible actor
He will be missed

MarkJames 08-11-2014 06:52 PM

Good Will Hunting :thumbsup:
Mrs. Doubtfire :thumbsup:

and so on...

jb4211 08-11-2014 06:55 PM

Yes, you could go on and on
Very sad day

AndyWRS 08-11-2014 06:56 PM

He is one of my favorites, so sad to hear about this. :(

jb4211 08-11-2014 07:03 PM

The World According To Garp

rselectric1 08-11-2014 07:04 PM

This one I didn't see coming at all.

RIP but if you really knocked yourself off Mork, you left your family with quite a burden of why so Rest only somewhat in peace if this turns out to be the case.

I was a fan.

jb4211 08-11-2014 07:09 PM

Suicide is really devastating for everyone involved.

Those that remain will probably always blame themselves, wishing they did more: "would've, could've, should've"

I agree. This one really took me by surprise.

For some strange reason, I remember where I was and what I was doing when the following passed away:
*John Wayne
*Elvis
*Michael Jackson
And I'm sure, today will stick with me as well.

MarkJames 08-11-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rselectric1 (Post 2071120)
This one I didn't see coming at all.

RIP but if you really knocked yourself off Mork, you left your family with quite a burden of why so Rest only somewhat in peace if this turns out to be the case.

I was a fan.

In this case, I think the family probably understands in some way since they've been witnessing and helping him deal with it for years. It's likely not out of the blue for them. I hope everybody rests in peace.

I have a client who's son has issues and has "tried" and almost succeeded several times. I suppose that's a cry for help. That's a conversation I didn't want to get into, for sure. The mother actually is expecting bad news one day, though she is desperately trying to help him as she can. She actually lost her job (security clearance revoked) as she talked to him urgently via cell in an unauthorized zone.

Tinstaafl 08-11-2014 07:19 PM

Andy, the reason it's so hard to understand suicide is that no one in his right mind would do that. You don't want to walk in those shoes.

Robin lightened the load for me many, many times over the years, and for that I thank him.

totes 08-11-2014 07:25 PM

This is the first I have heard of the tragedy. The first thing that came to mind for me was his movie, "worlds greatest dad", where his son commits suicide with affixation.

I remember seeing him at pike market in Seattle. He was coming out of starbucks as I walked in, he sat with his bicycle in the courtyard. He only got a few sips before people were walking by taking pictures. Someone called out nanu nanu. He left his coffee there and rode off on his bike. My point being, the attention could be very alienating. Fame might be extremely difficult if you suffer from depression.

I am inspired to watch one of his comedies tonight.
RIP

j_sims 08-11-2014 07:29 PM

Never was really a fan of his standup routine....I thought he was a decent actor. Really hated to hear about it. RIP Robin.

jb4211 08-11-2014 07:30 PM

Fame seems to be one of those things people want until they actually receive it.

jb4211 08-11-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_sims (Post 2071139)
Never was really a fan of his standup routine....I thought he was a decent actor. Really hated to hear about it. RIP Robin.

I just said the same thing to someone else

WarnerConstInc. 08-11-2014 07:31 PM

Dude did a lot of drugs.

His stand up was the best part of his career, all coked up.

rselectric1 08-11-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by totes (Post 2071136)

I am inspired to watch one of his comedies tonight.
RIP

Me too. I've got several of his movies. This one kind of stings.

jlsconstruction 08-11-2014 08:01 PM

Robin williams
 
Killed himself?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/showbi...williams-dead/

Xtrememtnbiker 08-11-2014 08:02 PM

Already a thread going.

jlsconstruction 08-11-2014 08:02 PM

I just saw it as soon as I posted this

BamBamm5144 08-11-2014 08:15 PM

And in other news, bombings of innocent people continue on, killing numerous children and women.

Frank Castle 08-11-2014 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb4211 (Post 2071123)
Suicide is really devastating for everyone involved.

Those that remain will probably always blame themselves, wishing they did more: "would've, could've, should've"

...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJames (Post 2071132)
In this case, I think the family probably understands in some way since they've been witnessing and helping him deal with it for years. It's likely not out of the blue for them. I hope everybody rests in peace.


I have a client who's son has issues and has "tried" and almost succeeded several times. I suppose that's a cry for help. That's a conversation I didn't want to get into, for sure. The mother actually is expecting bad news one day, though she is desperately trying to help him as she can. She actually lost her job (security clearance revoked) as she talked to him urgently via cell in an unauthorized zone.


Talk to her about it. It's not a dirty word. They need help.

Family helping him deal with it or not, it is out of the blue. No matter how hard you think you're preparing yourself for a day that might come, when it comes it's unimaginable.

My little sister left behind a family that is anything but a shell of what it was. No matter how F*&%ed up it was, we weren't these hollow shells of the people we once were. That day the family sat down and looked around at each other with looks that can't be explained. Guilt. Blame. .... It goes on. So does each day as the rest of us keep plugging along. One day I hope to ask, why?:sad:

Suicide is a very permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Robie 08-11-2014 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 (Post 2071182)
And in other news, bombings of innocent people continue on, killing numerous children and women.

Yup, I/we know. It happens every day and has since the beginning of time. It's part of the reason Williams deserves a little remembrance as he had the ability to let you forget the day's news.
Pretty impressive list of films.

House of D 2005
Robots 2005
The Aristocrats 2005
Noel 2004
The Final Cut 2004
Death to Smoochy 2002
Insomnia 2002
One Hour Photo 2002
Bicentennial Man 1999
Jakob the Liar 1999
Patch Adams 1998
What Dreams May Come 1998
Deconstructing Harry 1997
Father's Day 1997
Flubber 1997
Good Will Hunting 1997
Hamlet 1996
Jack 1996
The Birdcage 1996
Jumanji 1995
Being Human 1994
Nine Months 1994
Mrs. Doubtfire 1993
Aladdin 1992
Toys 1992
Dead Again 1991
Hook 1991
The Fisher King 1991
Awakenings 1990
Cadillac Man 1990
Dead Poets Society 1989
Jonathan Winters on the Ledge 1989
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen 1988
Good Morning Vietnam 1987
Club Paradise 1986
Sieze the Day 1986
The Best of Times 1985
Moscow on the Hudson 1984
The Survivors 1983
An Evening with Robin Williams 1982
The Tale of the Frog Prince 1982
The World According to Garp 1982
Can I Do It…Til I need Glasses 1980
Popeye 1980

MarkJames 08-11-2014 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Castle (Post 2071189)
Talk to her about it. It's not a dirty word. They need help.

Family helping him deal with it or not, it is out of the blue. No matter how hard you think you're preparing yourself for a day that might come, when it comes it's unimaginable.

My little sister left behind a family that is anything but a shell of what it was. No matter how F*&%ed up it was, we weren't these hollow shells of the people we once were. That day the family sat down and looked around at each other with looks that can't be explained. Guilt. Blame. .... It goes on. So does each day as the rest of us keep plugging along. One day I hope to ask, why?:sad:

Suicide is a very permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Correct, it's not a dirty work. She gave me tmi while I was working and has professional help. I offered some neighborly advice and wish her well, but I just don't have an extra shoulder to spare. I know that sounds callous, but she had already asked me out to dinner 3 times and I wasn't getting tied up in any of it. The last time I let it get too friendly/personal with a client (conversationally), I ended up eventually writing a "cease and desist". I was getting texts and calls at all hours. And another time I got called by a JAG officer inquiring about my "relationship" with the man's wife prior to a divorce. No kidding. No thanks. That's what friends, family and professionals are for. Not contractors.

BamBamm5144 08-11-2014 08:44 PM

I know he had an extensive career with many great films, Ms. Doubtfire is still one of my favorites.

greg24k 08-11-2014 08:47 PM

Huge talent, very funny guy...what a shame, I guess when the mind goes, everything goes with it no matter who you're.
Will definitely enjoy some re-runs.

EmmCeeDee 08-11-2014 08:58 PM

As good of a stand up comedian as he was, I always thought he was an outstanding dramatic actor. He seemed to have a particular affinity for characters who were barely holding it together.

Some favorites: Moscow on the Hudson, Good Morning Vietnam, Fisher King, Awakenings, Good Will Hunting. He played seriously creepy villains in Sleepless and One Hour Photo. RIP Robin Williams.

tenon0774 08-11-2014 09:06 PM

Sometimes the "blue dog" is too much...

...even for the best of us.

R.I.P. Robin Williams.

skillman 08-11-2014 09:13 PM

Loved his last tv commercial with snickers candy bar . When playing the coach . Not sure if there's a YouTube clip .

Robie 08-11-2014 09:13 PM

Good point....

I have FOX on and Sheppard Smith is talking to Larry King.

Sheppard brought up a good point. How many people are crying out for help and nobody is hearing them?

It's a good time to maybe make that phone call to make sure you tell someone I love you...I miss you...or just...how ya doing?

You never know...you just may save a life with something so damn simple.

Sorry to get so deep...but it's the truth.

Robie 08-11-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillman (Post 2071255)
Loved his last tv commercial with snickers candy bar . When playing the coach . Not sure if there's a YouTube clip .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BPLR9l0CYA

Youngin' 08-11-2014 09:16 PM

That's so sad to hear. He was a big part of my childhood.

I feel for his family. When I got the news that my dad had taken his own life my whole world turned upside down. I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of public reaction comes from the family.

skillman 08-11-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robie

Thanks for the clip . Never noticed the guy from police academy at the end being the cheerleader .

rselectric1 08-11-2014 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngin' (Post 2071261)
When I got the news that my dad had taken his own life my whole world turned upside down. I guess we'll have to wait and see what kind of public reaction comes from the family.

So sorry about your dad. I think Robin tarnished his otherwise untouchable reputation for the ages if the coroner calls it suicide.

They are calling it asphyxiation for now. This means that he had the presence of mind to plan it out. There are some fancy ways to do this that involve a plastic bag but who knows what he did at this point.

When I was a fireman in a previous life form, we called several codes on guys who just laid by their exhaust pipes in a closed garage and were closed with the same term. But that was back in the 1980's.

Robin you asshole. Shazbot on you.

Robie 08-11-2014 09:34 PM

I read somewhere today, soon after the news broke that it may have been this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag

rselectric1 08-11-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robie (Post 2071289)
I read somewhere today, soon after the news broke that it may have been this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_bag

I knew of those but most guys make it simple and to the closed garage thing.

I guess it's not much of a stretch though that if Robin walked into your gas store and wanted to buy helium to attribute it to him just clowning around.

Regardless, we'll hear more after the autopsy. Just sad.

jb4211 08-11-2014 09:48 PM

Robin Williams' most memorable quotes and phrases
http://6abc.com/entertainment/robin-...hrases/253477/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.