Respect - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Respect

Old 06-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,038

Respect

The family that was fined for yelling at the graduation ceremony deserves it.

No respect for the following family, their child's name was drowned out by the hollering morons. It ruins there moment in life they've all waited for.

For the school superintendent that did it.
illbuildit.dd (06-06-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 04:17 PM   #2
Focusing on solutions.

Trade: hardwood floor contractor & so much more
Rewards Points: 62

Re: Respect

I disagree, this is still America. Never hold up in court.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (06-05-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: siding
Rewards Points: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinwheel View Post
I disagree, this is still America. Never hold up in court.
is it?..sometimes i wonder..
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #4
Focusing on solutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Struble View Post
is it?..sometimes i wonder..
You & me both sir, you & me both.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,436

Never would arrested a white guy in a suit.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 06-05-2015, 03:42 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 2,038

Every graduation begins with a statement to the audience ''Please hold your applause for everyone at the end''.

What's not to understand about that ???
Old 06-05-2015, 04:29 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

I agree with you big shoe.

I listened to a discussion on the radio a few weeks ago about a similar situation.

a young woman called in and said " you people need to understand that in black and hispanic cultures we are just louder and more boisterous and you need to accept that....."

at the time I thought " why do I need to accept the fact that you clearly don't know how to behave appropriately in various situations ??? Want to be boisterous at a football game ??? OK--- that's the place for it---a graduation??? not ok. How do you not see that ??? "

It wasn't always like this.

my sons graduated around 2006,2007 from the same highschool I did in 1980.
I was actually appalled at how a segment of the population behaved in 2006--- they were not behaving like that in 1980 at the same ceremony.
Stephen
Old 06-05-2015, 05:43 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 15,815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
Every graduation begins with a statement to the audience ''Please hold your applause for everyone at the end''.

What's not to understand about that ???
So they're being arrested for bad manners, basically? Imho, every graduation has a few of these folks...so what, we need to deal with it and move on.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #9
Focusing on solutions.

There's lots of things people do everyday that I find disruptive & I don't agree with. But do I believe a warrant should be swarn out for their arrest? Hail no. What happens when the power structure switches & your the one getting arrested for something frivolous, you going to feel the same then?

Why doesn't the organizers just build in an extra 30 minutes into their program & stop for the occassional outburst instead of criminalizing someone being proud of their loved ones.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pinwheel For This Useful Post:
CarpenterSFO (06-05-2015), Inner10 (06-05-2015), SmallTownGuy (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,466

It was a dick move for sure...but not worth involving the judicial system.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
The Sheriff

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 12,114

I agree it was disrespectful and classless. But getting the law involved? Give me a break. A retard can scream and yell and throw crap and tip over cars and not get arrested in a riot, a fanatical POS can burn flags, YELL, SCREAM and spit on american soilders returning from combat and its all ok and protected by the 1st amendment. But scream to loud at a graduation and the cops get involved? Get your stories straight people.

John
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaws For This Useful Post:
MattK (06-08-2015), mnld (06-05-2015), SmallTownGuy (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #12
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 4,466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post

I agree it was disrespectful and classless. But getting the law involved? Give me a break. A retard can scream and yell and throw crap and tip over cars and not get arrested in a riot, a fanatical POS can burn flags, YELL, SCREAM and spit on american soilders returning from combat and its all ok and protected by the 1st amendment. But scream to loud at a graduation and the cops get involved? Get your stories straight people.
Not to mention it's your tax dollars paying for those cops to deal with this BS instead of something important.
Jaws (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 09:05 AM   #13
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post
I agree with you big shoe.

I listened to a discussion on the radio a few weeks ago about a similar situation.

a young woman called in and said " you people need to understand that in black and hispanic cultures we are just louder and more boisterous and you need to accept that....."

at the time I thought " why do I need to accept the fact that you clearly don't know how to behave appropriately in various situations ??? Want to be boisterous at a football game ??? OK--- that's the place for it---a graduation??? not ok. How do you not see that ??? "

It wasn't always like this.

my sons graduated around 2006,2007 from the same highschool I did in 1980.
I was actually appalled at how a segment of the population behaved in 2006--- they were not behaving like that in 1980 at the same ceremony.
Stephen
We are being asked/told every day to excuse bad behavior from a segment of society.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 316

It wasn't tolerated at my graduation. One man tried it and was taken down and hauled off.

I didn't have a problem with it then, and I still don't.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 8,476

Been to quite a few graduations, 3 of my own HS and College, not to mention nephews and nieces and it seems that when each name is called the parents and the family are trying to be as loud as they can for son/daughter to hear them... Sure some louder then others but its a big moment in everyone's lives and that is the way to express excitement.

Same thing you go to soccer matches, basketball, football, etc and a child scores people express theirs excitement and they like to show support.

As this case goes with a fine that someone received, we all know what this comes down too... What is in the contract? Was there rules of behavior for this event that were issued to every student and all of the participant? Was there a posted notice or announcement prior the ceremony started saying please do not shout or yell during ceremony and fines will be issued who will violate this rules?

If yes, they been warned about outcome... If not, they can give them back that fine and tell them to wipe theirs a$$ with, it simple as that, because if there is no warning or posted signs no court will honor that, especially at graduation event.

Last edited by greg24k; 06-05-2015 at 12:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to greg24k For This Useful Post:
hdavis (06-05-2015)
Old 06-05-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen H View Post

" why do I need to accept the fact that you clearly don't know how to behave appropriately in various situations ??? Want to be boisterous at a football game ??? OK--- that's the place for it---a graduation??? not ok. How do you not see that ??? "
I call it being hijacked -he times at a ball game, to eat or something else in public and your time is ruined because of jackasses.

It's a matter of fn manners - of which there are a few out there that have none of.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #17
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,786

The same show of enthusiasm is different for golf or tennis than it is for football or soccer. That's one of the reasons I enjoy watching golf. There is a code that is expected to be followed for attire and behavior. When the fans are allowed to behave at a golf match like they do at a football game, the sport loses its appeal.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:24 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
The same show of enthusiasm is different for golf or tennis than it is for football or soccer. That's one of the reasons I enjoy watching golf. There is a code that is expected to be followed for attire and behavior. When the fans are allowed to behave at a golf match like they do at a football game, the sport loses its appeal.
Funny you mentioned that. Seeing the lead up to the Preakness is far different to say the Derby. Two totally different vibes and crowds. One I wouldn't mind attending some day, the Derby and the other I have no desire to attend under it's current direction.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: masonry
Rewards Points: 626

back story?
Old 06-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Slate& Tile Roofing/Exterior Carpentry
Rewards Points: 2,848

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
that is an excellent point Robie.

I will give you a different situation....
my wife is a teacher. her school has a sizable immigrant population with a lot of students here from Nepal
when the kids from Nepal arrive at school each day, they get off the bus and the walk directly to whichever teacher has "bus duty" that day. the Nepalese kid places the palms of his hands together( as if in prayer) makes a short bow and says "namaste"
when the Nepalese kid gets to his classroom, the same ritual is repeated with the classroom teacher being "namaste'd

contrast that with the "american" kids.
every day in that school at least one teacher will be told to STFU by at least one american kid.
who do you think is going to go farther in life??--- my money is on the nepalese kids.
interestingly----- at parent teacher conferences--- the nepalese parents---mom and dad--- show up, and if needed bring along a 3rd adult to translate. the nepalese kids all livein large,intact, extended nuclear families.
the american kids??? well my wife had a student this year who lived for 3 weeks in a tent, because his crackhead custodial father got them evicted from their grubby apartment.. TWO different students this year had family members die of heroin overdoses. ( Heroin!!! what is this ,1972?)

she stopped keeping track of which parents were in or out of jail........
it's pretty pathetic ,actually--- these nepalese families were literally herding goats a couple years ago----and they are doing better than the american kids whose families have been here for 5 plus generations....
stephen

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen H For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (06-06-2015)