Police Pressured Suspects In Private Tow Lot To Hand Over $10,000 In Cash - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Police Pressured Suspects In Private Tow Lot To Hand Over $10,000 In Cash

Old 01-01-2020, 08:45 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Contractor Grunt
Rewards Points: 916

Police Pressured Suspects In Private Tow Lot To Hand Over $10,000 In Cash

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...-cash#stream/0

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 36,968

Re: Police Pressured Suspects In Private Tow Lot To Hand Over $10,000 In Cash

At least that's not how it's supposed to work...

Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,696

Welcome to Russia.
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: Maker of Fine Sawdust
Rewards Points: 1,471

Thieves.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
Old 01-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Decks, Additions
Rewards Points: 14,468

****ing pigs
The Following User Says Thank You to A&E Exteriors For This Useful Post:
Dirtywhiteboy (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 02:41 PM   #6
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 3,726

Quote:
ďWe have two major interstates that run through the western part of our county,Ē he said. ďAs a result of that, we have a lot of drug activity. We are not taking property from innocent people. We are taking illegal proceeds of drug trafficking.Ē
And that's even without a single conviction. Screw the 4th amendment. Guilty until proven innocent comrades...
Dirtywhiteboy (01-01-2020), jproffer (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,958

Civil Asset Forfeiture is used by all departments. Some departments just don't have as many drug arrests as others.

In some cities, when a search warrant is served. The department takes anything of value. TV's, computers, sometimes even furniture. They auction it all off. This I know for a fact.

Their reasoning is the only income in the household is from drug sales, so the material possessions are from drug money. Which is usually the case.

I tracked down 2 people, to return their money. (I didn't take the money. It was before my time. I was just a detective, at the time) In both cases, their money was seized, but they didn't have any drugs on their person. Obviously the money, in one case, came from drug sales. That's why they were under surveillance and arrested, but they had already sold all of their drugs.

Imagine how hard it is to find someone when you knock on doors, saying you're with the police and you are looking for someone, to give them money. You get no help at all.
One was in Federal prison, so he got it when he got out. The other one, knew me and trusted me. His money had been seized, but he wasn't a drug dealer. Just down on his luck. Having his money taken, didn't do him any favors. Good guy. Vietnam vet with bad knees. Over 175 jumps, did his knees in.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
tgeb (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
LRG WoodCrafting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
And that's even without a single conviction. Screw the 4th amendment. Guilty until proven innocent comrades...
The people give up the money willingly to not be prosecuted. But what if you called their bluff? No, I'm not giving you the money. Give me the ticket for not staying in the right lane.

For the most part that's why they pulled them over, speeding, wrong lane, brake light out etc. They give them the impression that something big will happen if you don't give them the money. And they're right. The cops won't get their big cash roll.

I'm sure they could say something like the dogs picked up on a pot smell. But without any real evidence they have nothing. Pot smell isn't illegal. And lots of money has illicit drug residue on it. At one point they were saying most paper money had cocaine residue on it. But that's not your problem if they can't find the source.

This is all based on not informing people of their rights, which in itself is a violation. But most people don't know their rights and the cops have this little act down pat as it looks like they have done it hundreds of times. Just look at the setup they have made for themselves.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
jproffer (01-02-2020), tgeb (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 08:58 PM   #9
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo G View Post
The people give up the money willingly to not be prosecuted. But what if you called their bluff? No, I'm not giving you the money. Give me the ticket for not staying in the right lane.

For the most part that's why they pulled them over, speeding, wrong lane, brake light out etc. They give them the impression that something big will happen if you don't give them the money. And they're right. The cops won't get their big cash roll.

I'm sure they could say something like the dogs picked up on a pot smell. But without any real evidence they have nothing. Pot smell isn't illegal. And lots of money has illicit drug residue on it. At one point they were saying most paper money had cocaine residue on it. But that's not your problem if they can't find the source.

This is all based on not informing people of their rights, which in itself is a violation. But most people don't know their rights and the cops have this little act down pat as it looks like they have done it hundreds of times. Just look at the setup they have made for themselves.
My whole point is, its gross.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,228

If I was a drug dealer, I'd probably consider it a small nuisance to pay $10k to avoid arrest. That's like me taking the $25 hit on a parking ticket when I work in Old Town.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:06 PM   #11
back doors to hell put in

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 506

Ha! I've lived here for decades. Every public servant above a Paramedic is as crooked as a dogs hind leg.

Even before asset forfeiture these police tow yards would take your car for parking tickets and you were lucky if your stuff wasn't stripped and nobody know nuttin
The Following User Says Thank You to Irishslave For This Useful Post:
Wile E Coyote (01-03-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post
Ha! I've lived here for decades. Every public servant above a Paramedic is as crooked as a dogs hind leg.

Even before asset forfeiture these police tow yards would take your car for parking tickets and you were lucky if your stuff wasn't stripped and nobody know nuttin
I don't know where you live, but I wouldn't live there.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishslave View Post

Not all. Some, yes. The majority are just not very smart.

Paramedics deserve a lot of respect. They donít get paid very much, for what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
griz (01-01-2020), jproffer (01-02-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #14

Trade: Carpentry, Painting
Rewards Points: 54

It’s such a shame how so many police officers act these days... I’ve seen so many different examples. I’ve seen plenty of examples of amazing police officers as well, but to be honest, I’ve probably seen more ***hole copes than good ones. It bothers me... I’m a patriot, I don’t want this to be happening in our country. It doesn’t belong here.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:28 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Home Framing- Roof Stacking
Rewards Points: 13,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProQualityLA View Post
Itís such a shame how so many police officers act these days... Iíve seen so many different examples. Iíve seen plenty of examples of amazing police officers as well, but to be honest, Iíve probably seen more ***hole copes than good ones. It bothers me... Iím a patriot, I donít want this to be happening in our country. It doesnít belong here.
But it is all day every day!
These cops need set up and busted!!
Old 01-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #16
Repair/Remodeling Tech.

Trade: Repair and Remodeling Services
Rewards Points: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by builditguy View Post
Civil Asset Forfeiture is used by all departments. Some departments just don't have as many drug arrests as others.

In some cities, when a search warrant is served. The department takes anything of value. TV's, computers, sometimes even furniture. They auction it all off. This I know for a fact.

Their reasoning is the only income in the household is from drug sales, so the material possessions are from drug money. Which is usually the case.

I tracked down 2 people, to return their money. (I didn't take the money. It was before my time. I was just a detective, at the time) In both cases, their money was seized, but they didn't have any drugs on their person. Obviously the money, in one case, came from drug sales. That's why they were under surveillance and arrested, but they had already sold all of their drugs.

Imagine how hard it is to find someone when you knock on doors, saying you're with the police and you are looking for someone, to give them money. You get no help at all.
One was in Federal prison, so he got it when he got out. The other one, knew me and trusted me. His money had been seized, but he wasn't a drug dealer. Just down on his luck. Having his money taken, didn't do him any favors. Good guy. Vietnam vet with bad knees. Over 175 jumps, did his knees in.
The problem is, the arrest (or lack there-of) has nothing to do with CAF. You don't have to be arrested, you don't have to be charged and you don't have to be found guilty...of anything. They can just say "I THINK that money came from something illegal" and regardless of your story (I was on my way to buy a car, for instance) and how legitimate it may be...don't matter...they want the money so they take it, and if you want it back you have to sue them for it. And you have to pay your own attorney to do so, regardless of the outcome.

It's complete BS and should have never been allowed into law in the first place.

Your only hope is to say no to any search of your vehicle (which you should always do anyway, whether you're carrying 10K in cash or not ) and don't leave the money in plain sight.
Deckhead (01-02-2020), Justin Rhoades (01-03-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 08:21 PM   #17
Artist and not a curator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproffer View Post
The problem is, the arrest (or lack there-of) has nothing to do with CAF. You don't have to be arrested, you don't have to be charged and you don't have to be found guilty...of anything. They can just say "I THINK that money came from something illegal" and regardless of your story (I was on my way to buy a car, for instance) and how legitimate it may be...don't matter...they want the money so they take it, and if you want it back you have to sue them for it. And you have to pay your own attorney to do so, regardless of the outcome.

It's complete BS and should have never been allowed into law in the first place.

Your only hope is to say no to any search of your vehicle (which you should always do anyway, whether you're carrying 10K in cash or not ) and don't leave the money in plain sight.
Plain and simple...

It's illegal search and seizure and in direct opposition with our constitution. Every American should absolutely see this injustice as abhorrent as it's in the name of the law keepers.

It's disgusting abuse of power of the government.
jproffer (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #18
LRG WoodCrafting

It's theft.
WWG1WGA

Quote:
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.