The Po Po Shut Him Down. - Page 2 - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

The Po Po Shut Him Down.

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #21
John the Builder
 
SmallTownGuy's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter/Builder Professional Painter
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 15,648
Rewards Points: 7,112

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Johnson View Post
I doubt they’d show up unless the repo man calls for backup.
I see the OP wants to shift the story.

Reality: News source quoted LEO. That's not the same as LEO factually representing what happened.
__________________
All my Life loving Hippie friends turned into soul-sucking Conservatives - or died. Same difference.
"Mornin' ladies, my goodness don't you look happy. Must be cuttin' somebody up pretty good." - Andy Griffiths
SmallTownGuy is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (06-11-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 06-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #22
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 340
Rewards Points: 750

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
So you're saying that if a person tried to block a repo truck and the cops were called, and it turned out after the cop investigated the stories and found out the guy was not licensed to be doing what he was doing, the cop would let him take the car anyway?
Yes, of course they would. Worst case, they'd give the repo dude a ticket.
SPG is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #23
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,903
Rewards Points: 33,350

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Yes, of course they would. Worst case, they'd give the repo dude a ticket.
So they'd give the tow truck driver a ticket, but let the unlicensed company take the car anyway?...

Last edited by KAP; 06-11-2019 at 07:12 PM.
KAP is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-11-2019, 07:29 PM   #24
Pro
 
TimNJ's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,939
Rewards Points: 4,338

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


The reality is the cop didn't pay for the car. He knew he didn't pay for the car.
The bank owns the car, so that is car theft by the cop.
Really setting a nice example.
__________________
Trump-The "Con Man's" Con Man.
TimNJ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (06-11-2019), Deckhead (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:13 AM   #25
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 340
Rewards Points: 750

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
So they'd give the tow truck driver a ticket, but let the unlicensed company take the car anyway?...
Depends on which license he was missing. Did it say in the story which license it was? I'm not up on every detail of what you need to run a tow operation or a repo business, but going to jail for not having a license would never have happened unless the target of the repo was a cop.
SPG is online now  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
jproffer (Yesterday), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (06-12-2019), Wile E Coyote (Yesterday)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:40 AM   #26
Pro
 
hdavis's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CoastalME
Posts: 22,950
Rewards Points: 1,488

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Who knows, if it's suddenly missing in the system, what does he do?
hdavis is online now  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:44 AM   #27
Pro
 
Bull Trout's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Salish Sea
Posts: 971
Rewards Points: 488

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hdavis View Post
Who knows, if it's suddenly missing in the system, what does he do?

he could go to the police for help........
Bull Trout is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
hdavis (06-12-2019), KAP (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 AM   #28
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,903
Rewards Points: 33,350

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Depends on which license he was missing. Did it say in the story which license it was? I'm not up on every detail of what you need to run a tow operation or a repo business, but going to jail for not having a license would never have happened unless the target of the repo was a cop.
According to the article, they charged and arrested him for theft after investigating and he supposedly was unlicensed... going to all hinge on whether the investigation yielded legit results...

The public statement by the "po-po" doesn't give much flexibility...

Last edited by KAP; 06-12-2019 at 06:59 AM.
KAP is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #29
Pro
 
TimNJ's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 5,939
Rewards Points: 4,338

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
According to the article, they charged and arrested him for theft after investigating and he supposedly was unlicensed... going to all hinge on whether the investigation yielded legit results...

The public statement by the "po-po" doesn't give much flexibility...
Well since the cop didn't "own" the car anymore since he quit paying for it, it's going to be hard for the cop to press charges on the tow truck operator for theft.
Any two bit lawyer would get the tow truck operator off on that charge.
At this point the bank owns the car, so it is up to the bank to press car theft charges. Do you think the bank is going to press charges on their own repo man?
__________________
Trump-The "Con Man's" Con Man.
TimNJ is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TimNJ For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #30
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,903
Rewards Points: 33,350

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNJ View Post
Well since the cop didn't "own" the car anymore since he quit paying for it, it's going to be hard for the cop to press charges on the tow truck operator for theft.
Any two bit lawyer would get the tow truck operator off on that charge.
At this point the bank owns the car, so it is up to the bank to press car theft charges. Do you think the bank is going to press charges on their own repo man?
If the guy was actually unlicensed, the bank has some exposure ironically... I'm in total agreement the cop was in arrears and doesn't own it until it's paid off, but they've got rules they have to play by as well...

That public statement they made is going to be a sticking point in how it moves forward...
KAP is offline  
Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM   #31
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 340
Rewards Points: 750

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Nobody wants to get their stuff repo'd but this is just a clear case of cops abusing their power.
Cops do it all the time for little stuff, but this time they went too far. Usually this would go down as them intimidating the repo guy to drop the car and they'd all drive away, but since he didn't back down the cops didn't either. My guess is that in the end the repo dude will have spent a bunch of money on lawyers and court and have the charges tossed and the cops will at worst get a meaningless reprimand from their superior.
SPG is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SPG For This Useful Post:
Big Johnson (Yesterday), Seven-Delta-FortyOne (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #32
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,903
Rewards Points: 33,350

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Nobody wants to get their stuff repo'd but this is just a clear case of cops abusing their power.
Cops do it all the time for little stuff, but this time they went too far. Usually this would go down as them intimidating the repo guy to drop the car and they'd all drive away, but since he didn't back down the cops didn't either. My guess is that in the end the repo dude will have spent a bunch of money on lawyers and court and have the charges tossed and the cops will at worst get a meaningless reprimand from their superior.
False imprisonment? I suspect if that ends up being the case, someone's getting a payout... of course, the lawyer will get 40-60%, but that theft seems OK...
KAP is offline  
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM   #33
Pro
 
SPG's Avatar
 
Trade: Don't take trades, cash only.
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 340
Rewards Points: 750

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP View Post
False imprisonment? I suspect if that ends up being the case, someone's getting a payout...
Probably not. The prosecutor will agree to drop the charges if the repo dude agrees not to sue. ...or the prosecutor will threaten to tack on a dozen more pointless charges and drag the repo guy through court for years until he can't afford to sue.
It's tough to fight the cops and win.
SPG is online now  
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM   #34
Pro
 
KAP's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,903
Rewards Points: 33,350

Re: The Po Po Shut Him Down.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG View Post
Probably not. The prosecutor will agree to drop the charges if the repo dude agrees not to sue. ...or the prosecutor will threaten to tack on a dozen more pointless charges and drag the repo guy through court for years until he can't afford to sue.
It's tough to fight the cops and win.
Time will tell...

Advertisement

KAP is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?