Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum

Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum (https://www.contractortalk.com/forum.php)
-   Off Topic (Non Trade) (https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/)
-   -   The Olden Days Thread (https://www.contractortalk.com/f22/olden-days-thread-418695/)

NYgutterguy 05-12-2019 12:09 PM

Drove my mom to NYC the other day. Was on the road by 5. Couldnít believe the amount of contractors I saw on the road that early. I usually get up at 6 by lay in bed till 7-730.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaws 05-12-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYgutterguy (Post 7541115)
Drove my mom to NYC the other day. Was on the road by 5. Couldnít believe the amount of contractors I saw on the road that early. I usually get up at 6 by lay in bed till 7-730.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave at 745 and pick up girls at 445.

When I was running all the jobs and bidding estimating I'd be home at 8.


My brother leaves at 445 too, supers and hands 430 unless they work to 5

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

NYgutterguy 05-12-2019 12:17 PM

The Olden Days Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 7541117)
Leave at 745 and pick up girls at 445.

When I was running all the jobs and bidding estimating I'd be home at 8.


My brother leaves at 445 too, supers and hands 430 unless they work to 5

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk



Guys get to the yard at 8 and Usually roll back in 230-330 on average. Couple days this week we worked hour away so they didnít pull in till 5.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robie 05-12-2019 12:18 PM

It's whatever works, schedule-wise.

But if it ain't working (the guy you are trying to mentor), change it.

tjbnwi 05-12-2019 12:38 PM

I miss the days of metal tipped Jarts and bottle rocket battles. Always good times...

Tom

Inner10 05-12-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 7541113)
Not conducive for a father/husband. I did that scrap for too long but am glad I did. Although more like 5- 8. Scopes ect... in the am before I left.

I like being home at 5.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I've been starting later and working later, this way I can get up with my daughter, go to work, come back for dinner/bed time and head out for a call after she's in bed.

Jaws 05-12-2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner10 (Post 7541159)
I've been starting later and working later, this way I can get up with my daughter, go to work, come back for dinner/bed time and head out for a call after she's in bed.

How old now?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SmallTownGuy 05-12-2019 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
...this is your future

Inner10 05-12-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 7541163)
How old now?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Almost a year and a half.

Robie 05-12-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inner10 (Post 7541179)
Almost a year and a half.

Time flies.

TxElectrician 05-12-2019 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYgutterguy (Post 7541115)
Drove my mom to NYC the other day. Was on the road by 5. Couldnít believe the amount of contractors I saw on the road that early. I usually get up at 6 by lay in bed till 7-730.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am up about 3 seconds after I wake up- generally between 4 430. Never could just lay in bed.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

NYgutterguy 05-12-2019 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxElectrician (Post 7541313)
I am up about 3 seconds after I wake up- generally between 4 430. Never could just lay in bed.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk



You must got to bed real early . I flip around between msnbc, cnn and fox. Also read on my phone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaws 05-12-2019 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYgutterguy (Post 7541319)
You must got to bed real early . I flip around between msnbc, cnn and fox. Also read on my phone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Average is 3 days a week going to bed at 10:30 and being tired the next day, two days a week going to bed at 8:30 and feeling rested. LOL. Weekends I don't get up until 7

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Jaws 05-12-2019 04:47 PM

Winter time is easier to go to bed early, for whatever reason. Summertime I guess I like to sit on the porch longer.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

B.Johnson 05-12-2019 06:32 PM

I think that all of our grandparents grew up in the depression. Mine in particular were very poor and didn't waste anything. They never got over growing up having nothing, and never wasted anything for the rest of their lives. That's way different than what people know now.

My grandpa taught me how to set the timing, check the gap on the plugs, and how to change the points and condenser on a car. I look under the hood now and just shake my head. I'm sure that my grandpa would do the same. A lot of things aren't as easily repairable now. The last time I tried to get a VCR fixed the guy told me to buy a new one, because he couldn't fix it for less than the price of a new one.

It's the world we live in today.

Deckhead 05-12-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B.Johnson (Post 7541397)
I think that all of our grandparents grew up in the depression. Mine in particular were very poor and didn't waste anything. They never got over growing up having nothing, and never wasted anything for the rest of their lives. That's way different than what people know now.

My grandpa taught me how to set the timing, check the gap on the plugs, and how to change the points and condenser on a car. I look under the hood now and just shake my head. I'm sure that my grandpa would do the same. A lot of things aren't as easily repairable now. The last time I tried to get a VCR fixed the guy told me to buy a new one, because he couldn't fix it for less than the price of a new one.

It's the world we live in today.

I just bought a brand new phone. Unlocked so I didn't have to deal with the BS from the phone companies. 700 phone which you would think tech phone people know how to deal with.

Low and behold I had to figure out how to get a T-Mobile (GSM) prescribed phone to work on CDMA service. I had to learn the carriers "virtual service" along with the different networks and then the hardware/software of the phone. All things I have no interest in.

Long story short, it isn't just that things are more disposable, a lot of people don't want to teach themselves. The guy from the phone company basically said, I dunno, send it back for a CDMA factory set phone... dumbass.

Working loud and clear now on LTE...

TxElectrician 05-12-2019 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYgutterguy (Post 7541319)
You must got to bed real early . I flip around between msnbc, cnn and fox. Also read on my phone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Usually in bed no later than 10. Or 9

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Calidecks 05-14-2019 09:28 PM

My father was born in 1926. His family and him moved to California from Oklahoma in 1929. They lived in a tent until they got work and a farm of their own. Yep, the greatest generation for a reason.


Mike.
_______________
[emoji631] [emoji631]

Capitalist 05-14-2019 10:09 PM

Great thread.
I did the same as a kid. 50 22 rounds were a buck though.
I was in the woods alone with a 22 at 7. A 12 guage at 8.
We worked the farm and did things no one would get away with today. I remember riding on the hood of my mothers car shooting squirrels at 8 on our gravel roads.

We had 2-3 channels.
No internet, cell phones, or anything other than a cb radio which was cool as could be.

I grew up in a manner that made me capable of fixing anything. I am not a "Oh I dont understand these new lectronic cars" type. You break it I will fix it, short of a disposable solid state circuit. I was welding solo at ten as good as most idiots with a buzz box today.

I had little supervision and everything at my disposal.

My gf's daughters and my kids seem helpless. I felt like an old man lecturing a while back. Kid brought me a pack of cheese, "Can you get this open for me?"

I said, "No. When I was your age I could shoot a rabbit, skin and dress it without a knife, build a fire, cook it, and eat it on site. You got this."

I take my boy shooting and I wont dream of letting him go alone. There is a vast difference. We understood the concept of "Watch your ass" but mine dont get it. We drove tractors, we rode on the front skid of the hay elevator with a tire behind us... We never fell off because we knew what would happen.

We rode on open cab no-rops tractor fenders over treacherous terrain, WE LOOKED BOTH WAYS WHEN WE CROSSED THE ROAD (no kids do that today).

Hell I remember a car almost hitting a kid who didnt look and a teacher yelled out the window from the second story, "Pay attention dumbass!"

Now these little terds walk in pitch dark with their back to traffic.

There is no genuine thought processes of self sustaining premise with them.
Every entertainment is a button away.
Every creature comfort is right there at all times.

I have no answers and dont even get me started on gratitude. My kids are polite. They know if they dont hold the door for someone or say thank you I will rip their ass in public. I will embarrass us all!

They dont disrespect ever because they know I will immediately bust their ass.

But gratitude... Its one toy to the next.

I was 8 and got a coat for Christmas. I was thrilled. I ripped it on a barbed wire fence and cried.

My kids leave their coats and shoes outside and they get ruined. They shrug....

There is a lack of character building hardship. I grew up poor and was told that if I didn't work I was a useless piece of dirt not worthy of eating. Now we have 5000 excuses for imagined mental conditions that dictate our actions via uncontrollable behavior. People eat it up.

ADD
ADHD
PTSD
DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY

^^I literally just named of 85% of the population.

Think I would trust my kids to do anything I did as a kid that was dangerous? Hell no.
They dont know hard or serious.

I dont know how to stop it and I feel like I fail as a father for not being able to.

"HARD TIMES MAKE STRONG MEN.
STONG MEN MAKE GOOD TIMES.
GOOD TIMES MAKE WEAK MEN.
WEAK MEN MAKE HARD TIMES."

Not sure who first spoke those words but they fit this entire thing.

I am done now.




Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Capitalist 05-14-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaws (Post 7541019)
Good times breed soft people. Been good times for generations

Soft people don't enforce or uphold standards

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Lol! I broadened this in my post! I just read this. You must be on about the same page.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.