The Odds Of Dying From... - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

The Odds Of Dying From...

Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

The Odds Of Dying From...

http://www.totalinjury.com/blog/unex...te-fears-jzbd/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 9,490

Re: The Odds Of Dying From...

I think the firearms asssault number is wrong. Its almost the same as a motor vehicle accident.

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,402

Since auto fatalities are 7 times higher then the firearm murder rate, I too disagree with their numbers. Can't speak about the others.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006

Self injury? I am surprised by that one in relative to some of the others.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joasis View Post
Since auto fatalities are 7 times higher then the firearm murder rate, I too disagree with their numbers. Can't speak about the others.
I wouldn't disagree on that basis. Obviously, there are a heckuva lot more auto accidents than gun incidents. But it seems to me that you are far more likely to die if you do get shot than if you have a fender-bender.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Pro

Not auto accidents, auto fatalities. http://www.statisticbrain.com/car-cr...-statistics-2/

Swann then broke down the FBI crime statistics for 2011 showing that there were 12,664 homicides in the U.S. Of those, 8,583 were caused by firearms.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...#ixzz2JrrGmsnL

My Facebook Page
Old 02-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,359

It's blindingly obvious that many more people are involved in car accidents than gunplay; obviously those numbers are going to be much higher.

However, your first link tends to bear out my point if you look at "Fatalities Per 100 Million Vehicle Miles Traveled". Just 1.1 in 2010. I don't have a source for how many accidents per 1M miles occurred, but you know that would have to be much higher.

You seldom suffer significant injury in low-speed city traffic, parking bonks and so forth.

Most of the time, when someone shoots at you they aren't planning to just wing you. That's why I think the odds of dying from gunfire (if you happen to get shot at) would be significantly higher.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Look how many people die of heart disease which is largely diet related yet we want guns gone? Lol

I see all these obese children at functions and listen to parents whine about the gun folks. The kids will be dead by age 50.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Pro

You can break statistics down to get any indication preferred...like how many drivers are exposed to risk, vs. 32,000 killed a year as opposed to 200,000,000 cars driven so far in any year, yada yada yada.

The numbers do not mean a hell of a lot.....like this one: There has only been 2 murders in my geographic area in maybe 40 years. Well hell....that doesn't compare well to car wrecks and fatalities, so lets increase the area....

Get the picture? If you live in Chicago and are Black, I would guess your risk would be much higher, like 1 in 25. But if you live in the projects, I would assume you have 1 in 5000 risk of being in a car wreck.

Maybe 1/4 of our population isn't exposed to highway traffic speeds at any time...so their risk is low, but they may live in inner cities. I'll give you another one: Without looking, I would bet your chances of getting hit by a drunk driver is way higher in suburban America, then on rural highways.

Risk doesn't mean a lot until you look at every factor. As pilots can tell you, the safest are when you have less then 200 hours, like being a new driver...really careful, or at least, we used to be....then if you live past the risk, like your younger years, and make it to 2000 hours, statistically, your risk lessens again, until you hit 5000 or 10000 hours of pilot in control time....since then, you think you know it all. Lots of variables..and now the accident rate is decreasing....why? Less pilots, less general aviation miles flown, and technology. So the odds of you dying in a plane crash continue to decrease.

Advertisement

My Facebook Page