New Hobby FPV Flying - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

New Hobby FPV Flying

Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 504

New Hobby FPV Flying

Hey there guys, I know I've been MIA for a few months I figured I'd come back and reports on my doings.

Still working my ass off jobs are lining up through Summer and everything else if going great.

So, on to it, my business partner told me he thought I should get a hobby. I told him I had one, hanging out here..... So I went to the hobby store and bought an RC airplane. I always wanted one as a kid but could never afford one and all the gear that goes along with that sort of thing. Well, prices have come way down and things are a lot more simple now. I bought a hobbyzone supercub airplane. My dad came out to film the maiden voyage.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

So, I was having a good time and mentioned it to a young person on the internet. he asked, "Are you flying that FPV?" I had no idea what he was talking about and started asking questions. At first I thought he was pulling my leg.

FPV:What is it? FPV stands for First Person View. Normally when flying an RC airplane you are on the ground looking up at the plane. With FPV you are looking from the plane. The plane has a video transmitter on-board and is connected to an on-board camera. The image from the camera is sent to the transmitter and transmitted back to you on the ground. On the ground you are either looking at a screen or into a set of video goggles.

My vision isn't terrible but it isn't great either. When standing on the ground I can't see my plane more then about a 1/4 mile away. If I were "in" the plane though, well heck, I could fly forever... Well, there is a range limit on this stuff so maybe not forever..

So I started making a list of all the things that I'd need to do this. I did a ton of research into all the systems. I wanted to be able to go far!

I got everything together and took to flight. It is very weird being "under" the vision of the goggles. A challenge I was excited to take on. This is one of my first flights.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

During this process I was required to obtain my Ham radio license in order to operate the equipment on the plane legally. Well there I met another fellow that was doing the same thing. We decided to get together to do a bit of flying.

+ YouTube Video

After flying with him I started pushing the limits of the plane a bit further, flying lower and further. I have equipment on the plane that in the event of a loss of video or control the auto-pilot will take control of the plane and fly it back to the launch site. It will also stabilize the plane if I get caught in gusty wind conditions.

+ YouTube Video

We started gathering a group of us here in Washington to fly together. We decided to go to Mt. Si for our first meet and greet fly-in. The mountain was almost three miles away and over 4000' up there. What a huge rock just hanging out there at the edge of the Cascades. It was a great meet! I had a laptop in a spare cargo trailer with a big screen tv mounted on the wall. I was sitting outside while a small crowd was inside the trailer watching. The camera that I view out of was right in the way of my other camera but you get the jeest of the flight.

+ YouTube Video

So far I have taken the plane out to 6.2 miles or 10 Km, I was recording but the laptop shut off. This is a flight where I went to 5 miles out and then turned back.

+ YouTube Video

I still get together with the other FPV guy nearby...35 miles from here. it's just not super popular yet so not that many people doing this sort of thing. it's fun flying with others though.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Sometimes I'm so scared I'm going to lose the plane that my fingers shake. I got into this to relax but really it's anything but relaxing. I do forget about work for a bit though while I'm doing it.

+ YouTube Video

Most of the time though it's just fun and relaxing.

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Hope you guys like the vids, if you have any questions just ask.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WildWill For This Useful Post:
Joasis (07-05-2012), MAULEMALL (07-05-2012), PrecisionFloors (07-08-2012), Resta (07-08-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,914

Re: New Hobby FPV Flying

All I can say is I am impressed. I have logged nearly 3900 hrs of flight time, and have managed to crash a buddy's RC plane both times I tried to fly it. There is no way I could fly an RC unless I tried what you have, and that looks neat.

Advertisement

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Pro

Thanks Joasis, i have really been having a blast with this stuff. It seems that lots of the guys that are doing this are either pilots or engineers. I am getting a couple other birds together like a flying wing that will do 150mph and cruise at 65mph and a Tricopter that will hover and can take off and land from the back of my truck. Should be good for roof inspections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #4
Can I get an Amen?

Trade: Custom Woodworks
Rewards Points: 1,060

never heard of the FPV thing, ..... WOW just WOW!

That's awesome. Looks like a TOTAL blast.
Cool stuff and thanks for sharing.

I need to see if I can get one of those FPV things for my son's Technic Lego trucks.....
Old 07-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,587

Most cool. I have a buddy who's into RC flying, but I never heard him mention this. Email on the way!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: handyman/small remodels
Rewards Points: 75

Wow, that is really cool. I was really into RC stuff when I was kid, but never realized how far it had come since then.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,196

Been wanting to do this for yrs and only have gotten as far as the computer simulator due to costs and time. I friend of mine has had many RC's and just last fall bought his first real plane. He has watched me with the simulator a few times and has offered to take me up in his plane so i can try that. I have not gone up yet and his plane is now due for its annual so who knows when he will be up next but i am excited about trying to fly his plane. I have not told the wife, she would have a stroke.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 1,196

Wow that is super cool. Its amazing how far we have come.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Pro

Thanks guys glad you like it!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
Nouveau Eccentric

Trade: masonry/hardscaping
Rewards Points: 2,896

That is some cool stuff, Will.
I too always wanted to fly RC, but ,now with this FPV, I really got the bug.

I guess for now it's VFR, although it looks like you can only see directly front.
It must take some practice keeping your bearings.

With technology the way it is, it probably won't be long before your flying much greater distances with instruments.

Thanks for sharing,
D.

fb
Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D. View Post
That is some cool stuff, Will.
I too always wanted to fly RC, but ,now with this FPV, I really got the bug.

I guess for now it's VFR, although it looks like you can only see directly front.
It must take some practice keeping your bearings.

With technology the way it is, it probably won't be long before your flying much greater distances with instruments.

Thanks for sharing,
D.
I do mostly just look straight ahead but I do have the camera on a servo so I can look right and left.

Last edited by WildWill; 07-06-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:29 PM   #12
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

That is the neatest thing I've seen in quite some time! Man, RC stuff has come a looooong way since my days of RC-10s and Grasshoppers lol.

Advertisement

Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"