Never Shopping At Lowes Again - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Never Shopping At Lowes Again

Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

Never Shopping At Lowes Again

Not that I shop there much to begin with... Just odds and ends since I can get a variety under one roof and appliances.

Last week the rented me a cellulose machine that didn't work. Before I ever left the store I made sure to ask the pro sales guy "does this machine work" I was assured that both machine were working properly.

After getting everything setup on the site, I fire up the machine and find that it doesn't turn. When I called back to pro sales to explain the situation I was told "I never said we tested it" by the guy who got me the machine. When I asked if they could bring another to me I was told "not an option. Not gonna happen".

I lost over 2 man hours of labor on a small job and they were not willing to reimburse the $65 that I lost. They did however offer $65 off my next purchase. Looks like I will never see that money because I won't be back. I don't feel that I should have to spend more money there just to get back the money I lost.

The principle that they are willing to screw me for $65 is what turns me off, not the money itself. I set my expectations very low with HD and Lowes to begin with, so I'm not usually disappointed with their sh!tty service, but they embarrassed me and cost me money...that's where I draw the line. If they didn't know if the machine worked, they shouldn't have assured me that it did and I would have tested it myself.

Sorry had to vent...

Last edited by philcav7; 05-12-2014 at 08:09 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 2,556

Re: Never Shopping At Lowes Again

I used a local rental company for the same thing two weeks ago. Have rented it twice and all was fine. They refunded the entire amount plus the bag I ended up making a mess with.
He also said my next equipment rental would be free.

I try to stay local if I can.

Advertisement

Mark Twain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robie For This Useful Post:
lrissler (05-13-2014), Young_Buck (05-13-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
I'm The BOSS

Trade: builder / remodeler
Rewards Points: 4,733

Did you speak to manager.

Should have .....

not defending those stores, just saying they usually try to help....
Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,185

I'm lucky that there are a couple of great suppliers in my area. My windows are built 10 miles away, my lumber yard has train tracks through the building and has hundreds of bunks minimum, SW gives me great pricing on paint, another lumber yard I use for decking and hardwoods. ...I'm truly blessed by the abundance of local shops. This is why I have little desire to deal with big box traffic, parking, hunting down and loading my own materials, etc.

I called the Cust service # on the way back to the store. After I week, I got a call from the store manager, whom offer the $65 off next purchase. He stated a refund was not being offered. I used to be an ops manager there, they know me. Perhaps that's why they think they can give me the shaft?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Champion Thread Derailer

Trade: Home Renovations
Rewards Points: 380

Perhaps, you may be a victim of their dastardly plot to attempt a recovery of the $500,000 fine to the EPA. They just might have such designs on recouping those losses without adjusting their current margins.

In all seriousness, I agree with JayDee. Most times these types of stores will bend a little, if within reason, if the manager gets involved. I had a similar situation with an electric hot water heater that a customer purchased. Before I ever installed it, I checked continuity on both elements and found one faulty. I called the manufacture and was told to go fly some kites. But when I got the store manager involved, he made the situation good by exchanging the unit for a new tank.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:44 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 5,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robie View Post
I used a local rental company for the same thing two weeks ago. Have rented it twice and all was fine. They refunded the entire amount plus the bag I ended up making a mess with.
He also said my next equipment rental would be free.

I try to stay local if I can.

All the local rental companies around my area are gone.

I used to rent stuff from Modern but they shut down all their stores around the area.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
spazman

Trade: floorcovering installer
Rewards Points: 22

Lowes and home depot are the places here that I hate to pick up flooring from. Every other store in town will have the job cut and ready if I give them a days notice but never lowes. They won't cut anything that is special order. I try to discourage my customers from buying carpet and vinyl there unless they want to get it themselves and take it to the job site.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:19 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: drywall applications
Rewards Points: 522

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcav7 View Post
Not that I shop there much to begin with... Just odds and ends since I can get a variety under one roof and appliances.

Last week the rented me a cellulose machine that didn't work. Before I ever left the store I made sure to ask the pro sales guy "does this machine work" I was assured that both machine were working properly.

After getting everything setup on the site, I fire up the machine and find that it doesn't turn. When I called back to pro sales to explain the situation I was told "I never said we tested it" by the guy who got me the machine. When I asked if they could bring another to me I was told "not an option. Not gonna happen".

I lost over 2 man hours of labor on a small job and they were not willing to reimburse the $65 that I lost. They did however offer $65 off my next purchase. Looks like I will never see that money because I won't be back. I don't feel that I should have to spend more money there just to get back the money I lost.

The principle that they are willing to screw me for $65 is what turns me off, not the money itself. I set my expectations very low with HD and Lowes to begin with, so I'm not usually disappointed with their sh!tty service, but they embarrassed me and cost me money...that's where I draw the line. If they didn't know if the machine worked, they shouldn't have assured me that it did and I would have tested it myself.

Sorry had to vent...

im kind of on the fence on this , are you trying to get reimbursed for the lost labor or the cost of the machine rental ? if its the lost labor that's a court thing otherwise people would make it up . also how do they rent the machine hourly daily ? they cant be held responsible for buiseness losses I wouldn't think otherwise it could be widely misinterpreted.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 15,632

Oh, you'll be back there, no doubt about it...
The Following User Says Thank You to m1911 For This Useful Post:
smalpierre (05-19-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911 View Post
Oh, you'll be back there, no doubt about it...
Yeah, never say never...
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:17 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,682

Lowes rents tools?
Old 05-13-2014, 01:28 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Lowes rents tools?
they rent insulation blowers
Old 05-13-2014, 01:33 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,682

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911 View Post
they rent insulation blowers
Apparently they don't work either.

Like everyone else has said. Tool rental shops are few and far between these days. But there is always a HD close by.
The Following User Says Thank You to Needles For This Useful Post:
m1911 (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 01:38 AM   #14
Pro

lowes doesn't rent trucks anymore, but depot does
The Following User Says Thank You to m1911 For This Useful Post:
Needles (05-13-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 AM   #15
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 1,244

I cannot stand Blowes. Over priced, no one around to help and if you do find someone they don't know jack.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:55 AM   #16
Pro

seems lowes and hd are hiring young kids that don't have any industry experience, and don't know chit.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:03 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Repair/Remodel
Rewards Points: 3,314

I thought it was strange the last time I went to Lowes, shelves were half empty, only one cash register open with about eight people in line, no one in the store to help. Maybe they won't be around much longer if they're having to make these budget cuts.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Carpentry; Kitchen & Bath Reno
Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1911
lowes doesn't rent trucks anymore, but depot does
Around here Lowes has teamed with Hertz and rents a Dodge Ram crew cab long bed for $80/day with free gas and unlimited miles. They also have a Sprinter van but I'm not sure what it costs.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #19
Pro

Trade: Construction
Rewards Points: 2,394

I was in lowes yesterday. Was getting some PVC casing and brick mould. The loading bray was so full of vehicles they couldn't load material into a guys vehicle. Some of them looked like HO's cars too.

What got at me even more was there was about 12 people in this line. They were half way down the lumber section. One checkout open with the normal retarded woman who don't know the difference between a 2x4 and a bag of post Crete.

There was 8 sales people behind the contractors desk and they were just chatting away like they were on a break. Couple if them on their phones in the little booths they sit in. People were getting pissed and someone said something from the back of the line. The head prodick sorry pro desk guy sent his best guy into the check. The new guy who started that day. Took 20mins to checkout 8 pieces. He wouldn't stop trying to talk to me! He was also more interested in the PVC brick moulding and scanned the items wrong 6x at least. Not one of the other lot behind the sales desk would help him. A guy from outback who deals with deliveries ended up helping this guy out and he's not even in the pro desk.

I'm not sure what it is about the pro desk/ checkout side of lowes around here but they have the biggest bunch lazy ass dicks work these sections.

The old checkout woman who they moved to another store don't even get of her seat to scan stuff. She must be 300-400lbs and you have to lift everything to scan distance for her. She also won't believe what amounts there are so she makes you lift every dam thing you have. I wanted to punch that ****** out every time I checked out.

Last edited by BCConstruction; 05-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:33 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCConstruction
I was in lowes yesterday. Was getting some PVC casing and brick mould. The loading bray was so full of vehicles they couldn't load material into a guys vehicle. Some of them looked like HO's cars too. What got at me even more was there was about 12 people in this line. They were half way down the lumber section. One checkout open with the normal retarded woman who don't know the difference between a 2x4 and a bag of post Crete. There was 8 sales people behind the contractors desk and they were just chatting away like they were on a break. Couple if them on their phones in the little booths they sit in. People were getting pissed and someone said something from the back of the line. The head prodick sorry pro desk guy sent his best guy into the check. The new guy who started that day. Took 20mins to checkout 8 pieces. He wouldn't stop trying to talk to me! He was also more interested in the PVC brick moulding and scanned the items wrong 6x at least. Not one of the other lot behind the sales desk would help him. A guy from outback who deals with deliveries ended up helping this guy out and he's not even in the pro desk. I'm not sure what it is about the pro desk/ checkout side of lowes around here but they have the biggest bunch lazy of dicks work these sections. The old checkout woman who they moved to another store don't even get of her seat to scan stuff. She much be 300-400lbs and you have to lift everything to scan distance for here. She also won't believe what amounts there are so she makes you like every dam thing you have. I wanted to punch that ****** out every time I checked out.
I can see what you hate them so much... Lol. Maybe it's cause we have so many in the area, but usually 3 or 4 people in line max. The pro desk guy who seems to be in charge will motion me over to scan like 3 things if there is one person in front of me. He knows I'm a contractor.

I guess it's like anything else. Some people give a crap about their jobs and others don't. We seem to have more who care than those who don't.

Advertisement