Making Miniature Concrete Forms - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Making Miniature Concrete Forms

Old 05-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 10,402

Making Miniature Concrete Forms

The kindergarten class at my kids school does a mini building project every year. They put together a little model house. Iíve built them a frame and parts for putting it together in the past. My youngest is in kindergarten this year and Iím talking to the teacher about trying to pour a foundation with the kids.
I made up a foundation out of durabond for them that they use every year, but the teacher wanted to try making one, and not using flour like she normally does. Iím aware of skin contact and the dust from the durabond, so I have that covered.
Iím trying to come up with something that mimics concrete forms. So far was thinking of plywood panels (1/4Ē probably) and using #4 threaded rod and nuts to hold the panels together. Only problem is when we strip the forms the threaded rod will be sticking out still. Normally we grind or hammer off the ties, but canít do that in kindergarten and the durabond is too fragile Iím afraid.
Any ideas? This thing is only 12Ēx24Ē footprint. 3Ē tall. I guess is need some anchor bolts for sills too.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #2
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,142

Re: Making Miniature Concrete Forms

How'bout...

Cut the threaded rods to exact lengths...

Grind the ends of the threaded rod flat....

Use a glue gun to keep the rods in place against the plywood....

Just thinking out loud...

Advertisement

― Will Durant
Old 05-03-2018, 07:06 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 138

make some U shaped cleats that fit outside of the plywood, like used with pouring a curb,
not a complete apples to apples but would work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Box Builder

What I like about the threaded rod is that we could lay in copper wire or something on the ties like real rebar. I wonder if I could pre pinch the threaded rod with wire strippers so that after we pull the forms it would break off real easily.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Box Builder

Iím also dealing with young kids, so glue or hot glue gun is probably out of the question. Although it has crossed my mind. I also need the form to be rock solid so it doesnít fall apart when we pour in the durabond. Thatís why Iím thinking threaded rod.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #6
Radical Basement Dweller

Trade: Whatever needs to be made or repaired
Rewards Points: 1,142

Just put "lips" on the plywood forms for the rod to rest on...already made up

― Will Durant
Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,262

Could you do the rod in 3 pieces with a connection nut on the inside of the form and a short stub thru the ply and a nut on the outside? After the pour, just thread the stub out of the connector. Sounds like a fun project. Teach those younguns while they'll still learn!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthill For This Useful Post:
Morning Wood (05-03-2018), TxElectrician (05-04-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #8
Box Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthill View Post
Could you do the rod in 3 pieces with a connection nut on the inside of the form and a short stub thru the ply and a nut on the outside? After the pour, just thread the stub out of the connector. Sounds like a fun project. Teach those younguns while they'll still learn!

I like that idea, but I was planning on #4 or 6 threaded rod. Really small. Maybe I could cut up some small tubing that I could slide the threaded rod into and then nut it from both sides for the pour. Them just slide it out leaving the tube in the pour. Not totally like the real thing but no sharp edges poking out.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #9
Pro or somethin'...

Trade: Tinwoodman
Rewards Points: 1,262

When I was a kid, me n' Dad formed hog penning foundations like that. Piece of 1/2 black pipe on the inside of the form and a 3/8 thread rod thru it with nuts on each end. Then we could reuse all the thread rods. There were always those 1/2 pipes through the wall after that. Wpw, that brings back memories. That was 30+ yrs ago. I'm getting old....no wonder I hurt
Old 05-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 19,486

There's still no Low VOC cement? It'd be cool to use the genuine article.

As for the form, are you doing this demo outside? I'm picture a scale model.

Like, make a big tabletop "yard" that's a strong plywood bottom, 1x around the edges, and fill that mother with dirt!
Then, you can rip down to 1/4 scale. Have tiny little 2x12's and teeny tiny little stakes that you'll hold the forms in place with. Kids can handle stakes and little rubber mallots.
Copper wire as rebar is a great idea because the kids can really manipulate it easily and effectively, then if you need to nip it off it's super easy to do with a non-threatening pair of needle nose pliers.

This sounds like way more fun that working. I think I'll do this tomorrow instead.

Advertisement