Love The Mountains, Moving To Florida. Am I Crazy? - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

Love The Mountains, Moving To Florida. Am I Crazy?

Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
House surgeon

Trade: building/remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,078

Love The Mountains, Moving To Florida. Am I Crazy?

Have an opportunity to drive pilings for houses and piers. I've only been to Florida twice, though it was ok. What I want to know is, is IT FUN living in Florida?

Destin btw

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,026

Re: Love The Mountains, Moving To Florida. Am I Crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbuildit.dd View Post
Have an opportunity to drive pilings for houses and piers. I've only been to Florida twice, though it was ok. What I want to know is, is IT FUN living in Florida?

Destin btw
Not much in Destin unless you like to fish or hunt. Hunting is good for turkeys, bigger deer than down south. Gainesville isnt far if you're young and want to do the college type stuff... Gainesville is the quintessential college town. I love Florida but love the salt water. Your not far from scalloping and extended seasons for gag and ARS fishing. Redfish are big, the snook bite is a bit slow but you'll see some gator trout on the flats. They are solid for a cobia run every year and the deep stuff is close. Kind of one of the untouched areas of Fl.

Its the area I want to move to when/if my area gets any more built up.

Advertisement

illbuildit.dd (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
Not much in Destin unless you like to fish or hunt. Hunting is good for turkeys, bigger deer than down south. Gainesville isnt far if you're young and want to do the college type stuff... Gainesville is the quintessential college town. I love Florida but love the salt water. Your not far from scalloping and extended seasons for gag and ARS fishing. Redfish are big, the snook bite is a bit slow but you'll see some gator trout on the flats. They are solid for a cobia run every year and the deep stuff is close. Kind of one of the untouched areas of Fl.
Sounds. ....ok. I have family down there and we're going to work, fish and play together. My uncle has a nice boat so the fishing a plenty. I'll be doing small carpentry huh
Its the area I want to move to when/if my area gets any more built up.
Sounds ok, just hope I don't grow tired of the place. My uncle has a nice boat so fishing is in order.
I'll be doing some carpentry work if the pilings ever slow down, and will do some anyway if I can find a place for all my tools. Jumping into new waters here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Florida is as fun or boring as you make it. If you are an out doors type you can stay busy 365. I can't speak for that area in particular, but my area on south has some of the best fishing in the world. If you're into night life there's that. Surfing, boating, hunting, fishing, beaches, etc literally all year long. If theme parks and tourist traps are your thing there's Orlando.

Personally St. Augustine, the Keys, and the springs in and around Ocala are some of my favorite places in the country, let alone Florida. West coast is laid back and peaceful. Panhandle and central Florida are more rural and good ol boy related.

Pensacola is a gulf coast gem that's a bit different yet from the rest. Whether it's the clubs of South Beach, the sport fishing of the Treasure Coast, the theme parks and shopping of Orlando, or the mud bog racing in Okeechobee - there's always something to do for somebody.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (07-01-2015), kiteman (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 AM   #5
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrecisionFloors View Post
Florida is as fun or boring as you make it. If you are an out doors type you can stay busy 365. I can't speak for that area in particular, but my area on south has some of the best fishing in the world. If you're into night life there's that. Surfing, boating, hunting, fishing, beaches, etc literally all year long. If theme parks and tourist traps are your thing there's Orlando.

Personally St. Augustine, the Keys, and the springs in and around Ocala are some of my favorite places in the country, let alone Florida. West coast is laid back and peaceful. Panhandle and central Florida are more rural and good ol boy related.

Pensacola is a gulf coast gem that's a bit different yet from the rest. Whether it's the clubs of South Beach, the sport fishing of the Treasure Coast, the theme parks and shopping of Orlando, or the mud bog racing in Okeechobee - there's always something to do for somebody.
I've always wanted to check out the keys. Maybe my chance. Idk why I've never thought hunting and Florida go together but obviously they do. Maybe its Because I've Only Been To Destin and Surrounding Towns except when I was a kid
Old 07-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #6
Paul

Trade: Hard Surface Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,004

Quote:
Originally Posted by illbuildit.dd View Post
I've always wanted to check out the keys. Maybe my chance. Idk why I've never thought hunting and Florida go together but obviously they do. Maybe its Because I've Only Been To Destin and Surrounding Towns except when I was a kid
That's probably because most people think beaches when they think of Florida. This is a large state. The interior of Florida may as well be a thousand miles from the beach, it's that different. The eco systems here are some of the most diverse in the continent. A lot of folks hog hunt here year round.
Installation, Sales & Repair - "We do it right the FIRST time"
The Following User Says Thank You to PrecisionFloors For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
House surgeon

I'm ready to try hog hunting. Suppose to do it here but I never have time!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,370

Definitely go to the Keys and stay a little while.

What a crazy thing they've got going on down there.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
House surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Gibson View Post
Definitely go to the Keys and stay a little while.

What a crazy thing they've got going on down there.
What's going on down there?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpentry,drywall,trim. Part time painter.
Rewards Points: 1,910

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
illbuildit.dd (07-01-2015), PrecisionFloors (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 03:25 PM   #11
Punching above his weight

Trade: Gun for hire.
Rewards Points: 12,370

You gotta go see for yourself.
Bring a fishing rod, spf50, and beer money. Shoes not necessary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Easy Gibson For This Useful Post:
illbuildit.dd (07-01-2015), MDjim (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 07:17 PM   #12
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 14,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Shoe View Post
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Nothing like the good ole days though. When I was a kid, me, Dad, and my brother would go down for fishing and diving. Penneycamp was there but not much after largo until Islamorada and Marathon and then nothing but open water, mangroves, and bridges until key west. Now its all built up.

Its still fun but nothing like it used to be. Robbie,s marina is still a must see for any newbie.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #13
Thread Reading Aficionado

Trade: Building Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,416

Destin is a hop away from my town! Bunch of high end stuff there. People that take care of their property and themselves. Houses on stilts 3 and 4 story 1 mil+ (and vacation homes) aren't out of the ordinary. You should drive down 30A. Google Rosemary beach, Alys Beach, Silver sands outlets. Remember the movie with Jim Carrey called The truman Show. It was filmed in Sea side, Florida. You can get the idea. Destin is similar. They do have a Cracker barrel. Haha Yeah there is shopping, sand, surf. Other than that the panhandle has no real attractions. No Amusement parks, big race tracks, or major civic center events, No monster truck jams, no major league stadiums, Nearest event would be FSU football in Tallahassee. Small town politics. Pensacola has a civic center that has music concerts. If you want real action go to Tampa or Orlando. They are real cities and real traffic if you want that. + Disney world, Sea World, Universal Studios. Also Port Canaveral will get you on a Cruise ship to a quick 3 day trip to the Bahamas. Nice cigars there! If you are a mountain hiker your out of luck in Florida. Worst case scenario you will be in Destin and have to take two vacations a year to disney on a three day weekend and a cruise in the fall when prices are modest. At least the beach will be pure white sand! Good Luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to Builders Inc. For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,101

If you love the mountains it's going to take some getting used to. Everything if pretty flat. Humid as can be in the summertime which takes some getting used to and a change of wardrobe most likely so you don't end up feeling like you jumped into a pool with your clothes on.
The panhandle area is pretty laid back. Dealing with the DEP, DPBR, & other regulatory offices can be a pain till you get to know what they want.
Other then that it's a great place to live.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to SouthonBeach For This Useful Post: