LIVE,Astronauts Space Walk."You Know,It "is"Rocket Surgery" - Off Topic (Non Trade) - Contractor Talk

LIVE,Astronauts Space Walk."You Know,It "is"Rocket Surgery"

Old 12-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

LIVE,Astronauts Space Walk."You Know,It "is"Rocket Surgery"

Never understood the term"Rocket Surgery",always thought it was "Rocket Science"when hearing our trade discussed by the DYI crowd.

Now,I can understand this term, and how hard it must be in zero gravity,knowing that a small puncture in your gloves could kill you.

I can't imagine working in these conditions.

Kudo's to these brave men!

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nbcnews.com/53885409

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
The Ultimate Wire Hider

Trade: A/V & Home Theater Installation
Rewards Points: 2,116

Re: LIVE,Astronauts Space Walk."You Know,It "is"Rocket Surgery"

Yeah.. they make it look much easier than it is. Traveling in space isn't exactly the moonlit stroll under the stars as the movies and TV made us believe it to be.

That's why I think that the volunteers that they are sending to Mars don't really know what they are getting themselves into.

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

I was involved in "Rocket Science" in the mid 1960's.

I worked for the company that made many different types/sizes of engines up until the Apollo program. I was a facilities engineer and got involved in upgrading the rocket test stands (we had about 10 or 20 to look after, including the Edwards test facility ones). The new engine designs were a constant flow of modifications since it was a day-day process to keep up, look at the structures (they were altered very frequently with little time to make current drawings available). We would make measurements on site, and sometimes make sketches based on the newer engine properties with different thrusts, frequencies and attachment points. It was great fun on the quick turn-around jobs (a week from measuring to altering and firing). We commonly used the term good enough for "Rocket Science" informally, of course. - Some observations were made from the ground using a transit to get a good view of what was there because it was more effective to set up a transit instead of trying to get on the stands between the scheduled firing.

It was a very loose dedicated bunch of people in the early development. About 15 years ago, I met mission commander from an Apollo mission(#8 to 13) and we laughed about staying at a motel in the Palmdale/Edwards area where you had to put a rug down to stop the critters from coming into the room.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 12-21-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,870

Fascinating stuff, especially your experiences concretemasonary. The risks really are under appreciated. Most people don't care about any of this. When peoples cell phones don't work there is still no appreciation for what the space race really evolved into.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,960

Ohio painter-

From what I have seen, the risks were not there when the things happened, but they were created in the mind after thinking about it. It was just a matter of putting things together after the fact. - The commander I talked to was actually met when he was bartender at a cocktail party and I did not pay any attention until after the host mentioned we had a common interest in aerospace and then we just swapped common places and experiences without regard to importance. He and his wife catered the large party because they had a winter home near by and enjoyed hospitality.

At the time, I had just gone through a few summers of being a highway department grunt/inspector where "close enough for highway work" was commonly used.

I guess the terms or descriptions are based on memories and experiences passed on that created a tradition. I still get bugged by being in a area with poor cell reception, but that also passes.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.